Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 9,205 times

Advertisements

Hi- we are moving to NH for my husband's new job in early 2007. We currently live in a neighborhood about 15 miles from Philadelphia. I want to be near Boston and live in a somewhat cute/lively town in NH. We are thinking about Nashua. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of living there? We have a small baby so I want to live in a town where I can walk to shops/cafes without going crazy being at home all the time We are pretty social people so I don't want to live in a town in the middle of nowhere. Any suggestions on nice towns that are good for young families? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 04:49 PM

439 posts, read 720,780 times
Casey- if living in a small remote town bores you, then Nashua is your best bet- size wise and the local amenities that it offers, while also being close to Boston. You might also want to check into nearby Salem, Derry and Merrimack.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:15 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1 View Post
Hi- we are moving to NH for my husband's new job in early 2007. We currently live in a neighborhood about 15 miles from Philadelphia. I want to be near Boston and live in a somewhat cute/lively town in NH. We are thinking about Nashua. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of living there? We have a small baby so I want to live in a town where I can walk to shops/cafes without going crazy being at home all the time We are pretty social people so I don't want to live in a town in the middle of nowhere. Any suggestions on nice towns that are good for young families? Thanks so much!
Avoid Nashua. Police force there isn't very nice. Always on the news for being rude and Violating ppls rights. Derry is Nice though also try Windham. Check out WWW.NNEREN.COM (broken link) it is great for relocating here, it gives towns and houses for sale and rent.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:35 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,019 times
Smile Without a doubt check the Salem or Derry area to live!

Look in through Salem, Derry or even Londonderry area. It would be even easier for you to get to Boston from there, it's a breeze instead of Nashua. Actually both Nashua AND Manchester have been getting a lot of bad raps lately, they're always on the news lately more and more for something or other happening there. The crime sprees are brutal all through there lately. I'd stay away from those areas and stick with the first three I mentioned here. You'd be living right near the "Rockingham Mall" which is actually the nicest Mall in New Hampshire these days, hands down! I live on the seacoast of NH and we have the Fox Run Mall in Newington on this side of the state and let me tell you, the Rockingham Mall does circles around it. That way, you'd luck out for shopping living right near it in one of these towns or even right in Salem. Remember that when you're relocating, because it's a real plus. some times we go crazy only having the Fox Run Mall on the seacoast, it's the most boring Mall you ever saw in your entire life! We're hoping the Simon Corporation that owns the Rockingham Mall along with several others in New England will make it's way over here some day to give it a little more pizzazz then what's there now!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,205 times
thanks so much for responding. it's really helpful considering i've never been to nh and now i'm going to live there in a matter of months! how long is the drive into boston from salem/derry area? yahoo maps says 35 min- is that realistic? also, is manchester somewhat close to there as well?

Old 12-21-2006, 07:31 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,496 times
Quote:
thanks so much for responding. it's really helpful considering i've never been to nh and now i'm going to live there in a matter of months! how long is the drive into boston from salem/derry area? yahoo maps says 35 min- is that realistic? also, is manchester somewhat close to there as well?
35 minutes sounds alright (no traffic).

Old 12-21-2006, 12:26 PM

111 posts, read 484,867 times
Casey1

I live in Londonderry and have made the commute to Boston many times. It takes about 45 minutes taking I-93(with traffic flowing smoothly) to get to the Charles River in Boston. It depends on where in Boston one needs to commute to from there. The commute is very dependent on what part of morning/evening you have to make the drive. Peak traffic periods will add time to any commute anywhere.

Londonderry, while being a very nice town, doesn't have a "downtown" business area. Most of the businesses are located off Exit four on I-93. Derry does have a downtown center but most of the Ma/Pa stores were put out of business when the large shopping centers were built. There is a shopping mall there (Hood Plaza) where you can fill most of your shopping needs. Derry is a large town, nearly 40,000 people, and some residential areas are not in walking distance to the town center. Both Derry and L'Derry have parks and recreation areas/programs that will keep your kids entertained.

With the population explosion in southern NH over the last 25 years there are not many towns left with that small town feeling. You would have to go further north or west to find that kind of life but, then, that makes the Boston commute even longer.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:34 PM

205 posts, read 946,424 times
If your husband will be commuting to Boston, you might consider looking at the Portsmouth or Exeter areas. Portsmouth has approximately 20,000 people and is an old, but vibrant city on the water. Exeter has approximately 14,000 people and has a great walkable downtown area with many nice shops. Exeter is a great community for families. Many new residents commute to the Boston area. You can drive, take the bus or take Amtrak into Boston from Exeter or the commuter train from Newburyport just over the border in Mass.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Portsmouth is nice. I'd avoid Derry - the town has serious financial problems (check out taxes, associated resale problems). Crime is a bit higher than elsewhere. Also Salem. That also has higher crime rate. Both are on major N-S highway, which brings crime from Mass. up to NH. Nashua is a nice town, but you wouldn't want to live anywhere that you can walk to shops etc. Your safer neighborhoods are out farther. Merrimack is considered a "suburb" of Boston now, and still retains some of that small town feeling, though not small by any means. Boston is only an hour from Merrimack, with a straight shot down Rt. 3. And, there are some nice neighborhoods in Merrimack from where you might be able to walk to the 'main drag' just to get out of the house. Someone mentioned Londonderry - that, too, is a nice community.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 34,967 times
Default Dont move to Nashua

Quote:
Hi I lived and grew up in Nashua for 15 years. Yes it is a large convenient city because everything is their. However if you have kids its probably not a good idea. I have four. We moved to Derry which is about 25 min from Nashua, we have about 40,000 people here. The schools are excellent and the people are friendly here. Nashua is a mini Boston alot of trafic, and high prices. Move to Derry!! Heather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire