U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 10:26 AM

203 posts, read 220,088 times

Advertisements

Recently visited Portsmouth and the city was very nice. We enjoyed music at the Park and the temps felt great. We are looking at options to relocate for work (job is lined up) and wondering about recommendations on neighborhoods to look at for families.

What can we expect in the winters.

COL in portsmouth compared to say Mass?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 04:31 PM

8,606 posts, read 5,531,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChicken View Post
Recently visited Portsmouth and the city was very nice. We enjoyed music at the Park and the temps felt great. We are looking at options to relocate for work (job is lined up) and wondering about recommendations on neighborhoods to look at for families.

What can we expect in the winters.

COL in portsmouth compared to say Mass?
I live just across the Mass border in Newburyport - another harbor city about 20mi south of Portsmouth. Average winter day here is about 35F for a high. On the coldest nights of the year, it might be -5F for a low. You get pretty good snow. Typical summer day is about 80F for a high, and you get some days in the 90s, but only about 2 weeks of those sprinkled across the summer. It is humid at the coast, which makes the hot days feel hotter and the cold days colder than the mercury shows. All in all I like it though :-).

NH doesn't have state income tax, so if your job is in NH you definitely want to live in NH. Portsmouth is a great city, but it's got to at least be in the running for priciest town in the state for housing cost. MA has some more expensive towns, but Portsmouth is still higher than most in MA anyways.

I only visit Portsmouth, but I think some of the nicest streets of the "downtown" section are Lafayette Rd/Middle Street and those streets just to the east of there - roughly the triangle bounded by Lafayette Rd/Middle Street, Miller Ave, and South St. It's a little quieter back there and there's a mix of homes, some grand and some more ordinary, but almost all are well looked after and have tidy yards. These days I think a family-sized house in Portsmouth might be around $750K+?

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-16-2019 at 04:46 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 07:39 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,254,594 times
Bring suitcases of money if you want to live in Portsmouth, especially anywhere near downtown. It used to be a city for the working class, but has now turned into a city for wealthy professionals, trendy hipsters, and tourists from away who flock to the artisinal boutiques and organic vegan bistros.

Sorry if I sound bitter. I grew up over the bridge in Kittery, ME and have seen it change over the years to a place where a middle class worker would struggle to afford.

There is some less ridiculously priced real estate on the outskirts, but your money would go farther in a place like Dover (which has a nice downtown) and you're only 15-20 minutes away from Portsmouth.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:28 AM

1,469 posts, read 595,458 times
Hard to answer without knowing your budget or house size requirements. Speaking as someone who has in the past lived in Portsmouth, I agree with the others that it has changed and gotten much more expensive but it is certainly still doable. You can find 3 br 2 bath houses for considerably less than $750K. Many in the high $300K - mid $400K range.

If you are working in NH than it would be much less cost of living than Mass. or Maine. If you are living in NH and working in Mass. or Maine, you will be paying that state income tax on both spouses income, not just the one who works there. That said, with no sales or income tax, it could still work out cheaper than living and working in Mass.

Winters can vary - some winters hardly any snow, some winters it seems like it will never stop snowing. Summers are great but traffic increases because of the tourists.

Also spent a few years living in Dover many years ago (the 80s). It was nice and from what I understand has improved a bit. Schools in both areas are pretty good but NH has had a drug problem over the past few years so you'll want to check on that. Also grew up in Exeter but the town was a lot smaller than then it is now. Still a nice downtown area though.

If the budget allows, check out Rye as well. It's pricey but right on the beach and small town with only about 5400 people. No stop lights, no street lights, 2 gas stations that close at 5 pm (neither open Sunday or Holidays) and most areas don't even have sidewalks but it was my favorite place to live out of all the others. Was a great place to raise a kid too. Kids still play outside and ride bikes, skate boards, and its a decent size surfing community too that offer kid camps in the summertime. And less than a 10 minute drive to downtown Portsmouth. Even less of a drive to Rte 1 for groceries, etc. And the kids do go to Portsmouth High School (or private schools).

Old 08-17-2019, 09:56 AM
KCZ

4,474 posts, read 2,935,579 times
I would start looking at realtor.com or similar sites and see what your budget will buy you in the communities mentioned above. There's a pretty big price spread between trendy parts of Portsmouth and outlying towns like Dover. If you're sure you're going to move here, get a realtor involved early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire