Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,458 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for a nice, small, quiet, peaceful little town to move to and build a log home and settle into a simple, unobtrusive life. Seems like they just don't exist anymore.

I took this test on ****.com and Littleton was high on my list. Here's a link to what the site has to say about Littleton. Anyone from Littleton agree or disagree with it? They make it sound like a bit of heaven to me.

http://www.****.com/survey/ReportView.asp?ID=3A496338B33B423FDFBA2806DD5EE495 &file=LittletonNH&CurrentPage=1&page=1&CityTrack=2 93&REID=113&PL=8 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 04:14 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
There have been quite a few threads on here that have been about, or included Littleton, in them. Have you researched the threads on this forum? I suggest you do so. Unfortunately, NH is chnaging, just like everywhere else. As you say, nowhere seems to be immune from the hcnages that negatively impact quality of life. I've just about given up, opting instead to adhere to the "Wizard of Oz" philosophy of not looking further than my own backyard in my search for happiness.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:48 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times
Hi Storybookscribe - We moved here in April and we have not been disappointed. It is definitely a small town, and my personal opinion is that in small towns, any kind of news is big news. We have no complaints living here. The people are great and have never made us feel like "outsiders". We moved from New York State and things are definitely different in New Hampshire and Littleton, but in a very good way. I think it all depends on what you are looking for and what your expectations are. We have no regrets. There has been controversy with the group that has been talked about and also about the police force, but neither seems to have had a major impact on the town's ability to function. If you want to live in a small, quiet town then Littleton may still be for you.

Don't give up on Littleton - if you are able to, try to spend at least a week in the area to get a "feel" for it and see if it is right for you. When we moved here, we weren't positive, so we rented a place for a year rather than buying right away and then regretting it. We will soon be looking to buy as our first impressions were right - we like it here!

Old 11-16-2006, 09:57 PM

142 posts, read 573,591 times
Hi, I have to agree with what you said,we stayed in Littleton for a week last
Febuary and fell in love with it,we are also from NY,we are looking foward
to relocating in June/July of 07. Can't wait

Old 11-17-2006, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 19,458 times
looking4home,
Yes, I did review several threads about Littleton. Being new to the boards it's difficult to distinguish the realistic views and experiences from the "negative-nellies" or natural over-reactors. I agree with you about the Wizard of Oz theory. The reasons I am looking to move, however, is that I'm a very small town person living in downtown Minneapolis! I'm planning ahead now for my final move, Lord willing. Also, if I never hear another siren again, it will be too soon!

windchimes,
Thanks for chiming in and for your encouragement! Did you read the "report" from the link I url I listed in my original post? It sure makes Littleton sound ideal for me. I'm still narrowing my list down a bit. It's between NH, CO and WA as it stands right now. Littleton has a lead because of the weather. I don't like heat at all. I don't mind winter. With higher, record setting heat waves continuing to climb north, Littleton sounds great right now!

roerinaci,
Thanks for your post! I'm glad to hear they are accepting of non-natives to the area. Today it's just a fact that people migrate and move. The old mindset of "us and ours" isn't feasible anymore or that person is going to be very miserable. I'll try to get out to visit Littleton as soon as I can. My goal is to move out there debt free, so I have about one year left, unless God intervenes. Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2006, 05:42 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,423 times
Default just a question

storybook, why don't you stay in Minnesota? I've heard that they have great small towns, and gorgeous scenery. I have one friend who has lived all over the U.S. and when asked where her fave place is, she always says Minnesota. Can you tell us something about your state, and what makes it attractive, or less so, to you?

Last edited by looking4home; 11-17-2006 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 11-17-2006, 06:17 PM

roerinaci - Glad we aren't the only NY's who liked the area! Granted, there are WalMart, Staples, Applebees, 99, etc., but they are all what I consider "outside" the town and the town itself holds a lot of appeal, at least for me. Again, it's all in what you are used to, IMHO <g>. Let me know when you get up here!

Old 11-17-2006, 06:23 PM

Storybookscribe - I tried to go to the link you listed, but it said it had "timed out" so I just took the survey and Littleton came up - if it is the same as what came up for you (and I believe it would be), I really couldn't argue with anything that was said in it. I think somewhere you mentioned something about not hearing any more sirens - we've heard three since April. Also, airplane traffic is next to nothing up here - we will occasionally hear what sound like military aircraft overhead but that's only once a month - where we came from it was almost constant .... Again try to find a way to spend about a week up here to get the feel for it and the lay of the land, so to speak, longer if you can...........

Old 11-18-2006, 08:38 PM

142 posts, read 573,591 times
Hey Windchimes,yes I'm also from Ductchess County Millbrook,but had to move to Long island because my Husbands job relocated him,so when we found Littleton it is the town we have been looking for. It may have it's problems but its nothing like living in Long Island. Or for that matter NYS.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:56 PM

Hi roerinaci - We came from Rhinebeck, but I grew up in Pine Plains and Littleton reminds me a lot of Pine Plains before the NYC people found it . My husband was with IBM for 25 yrs, then his job was "off-shored" so it "went away" and he was "resourced" ..... IBM-speak.... (that's a lot of quotes, but hopefully you get the idea!) When that happened, he decided it was time for a career change and here we are. Interestingly, my aunt moved from LI (the Bellmore area? I think?) to Red Hook about the same time we moved up here....and she thinks Red Hook is nice, but very rural .... I've said it before (probably too many times) but I'll say it again, how you perceive a place is all in what you've been used to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire