Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 9,809 times

Advertisements

I'm a 46 year old songwriter/guitarist in Suncook looking for a songwriting keyboard player that would like to get together at my place a few weekend days a month to write & record original tunes of most styles for the enjoyment of the music, keep the chops up and to expand musical horizons.

I'm not looking to play out or form a band.
-Jim
castle DOT walls AT comcast DOT net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,175,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
I'm a 46 year old songwriter/guitarist in Suncook looking for a songwriting keyboard player that would like to get together at my place a few weekend days a month to write & record original tunes of most styles for the enjoyment of the music, keep the chops up and to expand musical horizons.

I'm not looking to play out or form a band.
-Jim
castle DOT walls AT comcast DOT net
Hi Jim - My husband is a singer/songwriter/guitarist. When we relocated he went through a "withdrawal" period while trying to find others were were playing. He had success by visiting the local music store every week - he got to know the owner and kept asking about others who play - finally got the name and address of a place where they had bluegrass jams every Friday. From there he met quite a few other people, found an acoustic jam on Thursday nights and an electric jam on Friday night.

Out of those jams, we now have a bass player and another guitarist who come to the house every Sunday to play and record for their enjoyment.

All that being said - if you have a music store in your area, see if they have any lists of people who play and what they play as well as any musical jams that my not be publicized. The music store here also has a bulletin board where people put a note if they're looking for someone to play with.

I don't know where Suncook is, but but the weekend of August 3rd, there's going to be a "Jerry Jam" in Franconia on farm, I believe - might be worth you checking out to make some "connections." There's supposed to be quite a bunch of artists/bands playing and attending - hubby is doing the sound for the jam....sort of a "mini-Woodstock" from what I understand.........

Old 04-30-2008, 05:04 AM

Thanks Dream, I've been posting on Craigslist & around town & the local Daddy's store & forum. There are many local Songpulls & jams nearby but as i've got a bad back and am on pain meds most of the time, going to these is not an option for me - hence the requirement for a keyboard player to come to my place. I just can't carry equipment around anymore (one reason of many for my bad back!) plus I have all the recording equipment and a synth here I need to record stuff. Just not the (good) ability to play the piano...;>)
-Jim

Old 04-30-2008, 05:17 AM

Hmmmm.......Are the jams ones where they encourage 'spectators'? If they are, are you able to get to them to listen and maybe hear/see someone that intrigues you that you could approach?

Another thing you might want to try - get an esnips.com account - they allow you to put up your music - originals and covers - I think if you look under my profile I have my husband's esnips site under the homepage link if you want to check it out. If you have your music out there, when you post something on Craigslist and around time, you could include that site so people who might be interested could hear/see you play and get a feel for your music.

Just some thoughts to try

Old 04-30-2008, 01:22 PM

Well, as I said any of those jams are usually during a weeknight which is bad for me and yes spectators are welcome but are geared towards songwriters playing their tunes. They are usually held at bars or pubs.

Daves got a pretty good voice! Those bluegrass jams remind me of the good old days back at home where we'd have a big family cookout and everyone sat around while my dad, brothers, uncles, cousins and friends used to play old country tunes.

Here's what I've been working on the last few years, getting my usual songwriting away from my 'typical' song structure writing (as can be heard on the jimssongs page below) and geared towards the theatre:
The Tavern & The Storyteller - A Musical Comedy

Now that i'm slowly working on a sequel (as my back and pain meds allow, which isn't much) i'm 'branching out' into more orchestration (Willis Song, below...) hence the need for a good keyboard player who can help me get my ideas recorded (I know nothing about playing the piano).
Here's some really old and newer stuff including some new Tavern sequel tunes in the works:
Jim Lassiters song page - a collection
-Jim

p.s. I don't know why there's all that extra code stuff on the address...

Old 05-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
Well, as I said any of those jams are usually during a weeknight which is bad for me and yes spectators are welcome but are geared towards songwriters playing their tunes. They are usually held at bars or pubs.

Daves got a pretty good voice! Those bluegrass jams remind me of the good old days back at home where we'd have a big family cookout and everyone sat around while my dad, brothers, uncles, cousins and friends used to play old country tunes.

Here's what I've been working on the last few years, getting my usual songwriting away from my 'typical' song structure writing (as can be heard on the jimssongs page below) and geared towards the theatre:
The Tavern & The Storyteller - A Musical Comedy

Now that i'm slowly working on a sequel (as my back and pain meds allow, which isn't much) i'm 'branching out' into more orchestration (Willis Song, below...) hence the need for a good keyboard player who can help me get my ideas recorded (I know nothing about playing the piano).
Here's some really old and newer stuff including some new Tavern sequel tunes in the works:
Jim Lassiters song page - a collection
-Jim

p.s. I don't know why there's all that extra code stuff on the address...
Hi Jim - I kinda like Dave's voice <g>. The bluegrass jams aren't his forte - he prefers either acoustic or electric rock type things, but he does enjoy the bluegrass jams as well, and the people are all great! My grandfather played the fiddle, my grandmother played piano and my mother played (?) the harmonica - whenever there was a new house or barn or whatever going up, they had my grandfather come with his fiddle, his brother with a banjo and another guy with a guitar <g>....Me...I can't carry a tune in a bucket and took piano lessons many years ago but don't remember much about it. Dave plays by ear, can't read music at all.

I checked out your sites - they're pretty neat! I liked them! I was really intrigued by the musical comedy and will be going back there when I have more time to really check it out.

The one song on Dave's esnips (at least I *think* I put it up there), called "Surrounded" - that has keyboard - Dave played it.....without ever having played one before (how he did it was beyond me) - That song was "inspired" over a period of 2 days when my Dad was on his way to passing over, we had spent time with Dad talking and basically saying our good-byes and we were just waiting - right after Dave finished the song, Dad passed on...it was kinda spooky......

Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Surrounded had a nice vibe to it, very relaxing. I'm sorry to hear about your father, I lost my mom late last year to breast cancer & alzheimers - not a nice thing.

Hmm, it seems my urls don't have all that extra braket code stuff now, I'm confused! Oh well. Tell Dave to keep fartin' around with the keyboard!
Take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: