Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 05:52 PM

13 posts, read 15,380 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I live in NJ, my entire family are all in NH. I would love to move back to NH in a few years after retiring. I have noticed a significant price increase in so many areas of NH. I love the area where I grew up in Milford NH. I have noticed homes for sale in the area are on the market for literally 5 days. I would love to move back upon retiring, but I am afraid I will not be able to afford it. I love Southern NH. Any suggestions? I am not looking for much. My mother in law will be moving with me so having a 3 bedroom will be sufficient. Somewhat of a small yard will be great. I am in NJ due to work. My visits to NH are very frequent. I will probably be looking in the price range of 350. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 07:57 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,609,225 times
Is the Milford area the only place you'd consider? If you are visiting NH frequently, I would suggest you drive around the state a bit to get an idea of other towns, or types of towns, that you'd like to live in. How important is it to be close to things like big box stores, restaurants, other amenities, hospitals, and so on?

The real estate market is crazy here right now. So many people are moving here to escape urban life that it's driven up housing prices a lot, selling times are short, and inventories are low. It's hard to predict where things will be in a few years.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:38 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,501,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcef View Post
Hello,
I live in NJ, my entire family are all in NH. I would love to move back to NH in a few years after retiring. I have noticed a significant price increase in so many areas of NH. I love the area where I grew up in Milford NH. I have noticed homes for sale in the area are on the market for literally 5 days. I would love to move back upon retiring, but I am afraid I will not be able to afford it. I love Southern NH. Any suggestions? I am not looking for much. My mother in law will be moving with me so having a 3 bedroom will be sufficient. Somewhat of a small yard will be great. I am in NJ due to work. My visits to NH are very frequent. I will probably be looking in the price range of 350. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
NY here & I want to do the same. Home values all over are at all time highs. Mainly do to low interest rates. 2.75% fixed was last I looked for a 30 yr.

Do you own a home now? If so, being in NJ that increased as well. So, it’s a wash.
Good Luck!

Old 11-02-2020, 09:30 AM

4,562 posts, read 5,617,923 times
Exclamation Anything in "commutable distance" of the Boston metro area incurs a price premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcef View Post
Hello,
I live in NJ, my entire family are all in NH. I would love to move back to NH in a few years after retiring. I have noticed a significant price increase in so many areas of NH. I love the area where I grew up in Milford NH. I have noticed homes for sale in the area are on the market for literally 5 days. I would love to move back upon retiring, but I am afraid I will not be able to afford it.
You have a few years, much of the recent increase is likely to be short-lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Is the Milford area the only place you'd consider? If you are visiting NH frequently, I would suggest you drive around the state a bit to get an idea of other towns, or types of towns, that you'd like to live in. How important is it to be close to things like big box stores, restaurants, other amenities, hospitals, and so on?
Milford, or anywhere within commutable distance to the 495 corridor or Boston, sells at a premium. If OP can move just a few miles north on Route 13, he'll find better values and still be within reach of family, but have a trek to get to big box stores.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:48 PM

199 posts, read 176,787 times
I disagree that the increases are going to be short-lived. There was already a trend present of people leaving high-tax and high-regulation states, for states with low taxes and low regulations. With the lockdowns nonsense and civil unrest hitting urban areas of these states, it has only exacerbated this trend. My prediction is that we are entering a decades-long decline of dense metro areas in the states with high taxes. People will continue fleeing them for suburbia or rural areas, particularly in states with low tax burdens. I'm licensed in TN and NH, and am seeing this trend in both places. Right now every single buyer I'm working with is an out-of-stater fleeing a states like MA, CT, NY, CA, NJ, IL, etc. Some are even fleeing states like TX because all the people moving to TX from CA are making them nervous.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:32 PM

13 posts, read 15,380 times
Much thanks for all of the well advised suggestions. Yes, I am a homeowner in NJ, taxes are very high, plus my commute to NYC for work. I am doing my best to keep my sanity in the midst of insanity. I am truly hoping I will be able to return to NH after retirement. I am not tied to one specific area. I have family in Keen, Milford, Amherst, Wilton, Claremont & Canterbury.
I do not need to be close to any big box stores, restaurants. Being accessible to a hospitals, would be nice.
I would much rather be inland with a piece of property. I will keep visiting NH and keep looking at other areas.
Thanks for all of the positive feedbacks. I will keep at it, with a positive attitude.
Best.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
I disagree that the increases are going to be short-lived. There was already a trend present of people leaving high-tax and high-regulation states, for states with low taxes and low regulations. With the lockdowns nonsense and civil unrest hitting urban areas of these states, it has only exacerbated this trend. My prediction is that we are entering a decades-long decline of dense metro areas in the states with high taxes. People will continue fleeing them for suburbia or rural areas, particularly in states with low tax burdens. I'm licensed in TN and NH, and am seeing this trend in both places. Right now every single buyer I'm working with is an out-of-stater fleeing a states like MA, CT, NY, CA, NJ, IL, etc. Some are even fleeing states like TX because all the people moving to TX from CA are making them nervous.
Fleeing NYC, not Long Island. Bidding wars like crazy here! Homes sold within a day. New condo & apartment complexes going up like crazy here! $2500++++ for a one BR. $2800++++ for 2 BR. People Fleeing NYC with CASH coming to LI. I’ve never saw anything like it. Values at all time highs.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:31 AM

508 posts, read 341,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Fleeing NYC, not Long Island. Bidding wars like crazy here! Homes sold within a day. New condo & apartment complexes going up like crazy here! $2500++++ for a one BR. $2800++++ for 2 BR. People Fleeing NYC with CASH coming to LI. I’ve never saw anything like it. Values at all time highs.
I agree and think Levi.Dunn is off base. People are fleeing NYC with cash in hand and driving up real estate prices in Long Island, Connecticut, and New Jersey as they snap up houses. The real estate market is on fire in CT, MA, Long Island, NJ, etc.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:18 PM

199 posts, read 176,787 times
People are leaving dense metro areas for suburbia outside of dense metro areas, and people are leaving those same suburban areas for smaller towns or rural areas. I'm not off base, because I'm helping these people move. Not only me, but other agents I work with are seeing the same thing in TN and NH.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
People are leaving dense metro areas for suburbia outside of dense metro areas, and people are leaving those same suburban areas for smaller towns or rural areas. I'm not off base, because I'm helping these people move. Not only me, but other agents I work with are seeing the same thing in TN and NH.
I guess with many working from home (maybe permanently) makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire