U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2006, 04:09 PM

32 posts, read 92,292 times
Default Weather in Southern NH

Just wondering if the Manchester/Merrimack/Nashua area had snow yet? How are the winters normally? Do you get a lot of ice and snow?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 05:14 PM

59 posts, read 194,304 times
We saw our first snow storm of the year today. The weather stations were saying this morning that it would snow all day but wouldn't amount to anything. Wrong again!! We got a little over an inch in southern NH.

I was on the road all day today (I deliver for Fedex) so I can tell you first hand that the snow crews were not prepared for this!!! It came down hard and fast, and apparently no one saw it coming (like usual). All of our drivers had a hard time today.

Winter starts much later than it used to. For the past few years we've had 50 degree temps right through December. We usually get at least a dusting before Christmas, but this year we didn't. Winters are changing, certainly aren't what they used to be.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:03 PM

442 posts, read 29,680 times
I would totally agree with mlynnsoucy

The petunia's in my garden are just about toast now- but it is nearly January 1st!! I have two Asiatic fan palms in my garden here in Connecticut- covered in mini plastic greenhouses (not necessary thus far) Temperatures throughout this December; daytime in the 40s and 50s- and it looks like after the small bout with chilly weather (today) after New Years it will become mild again- kool with me.

The weather is changing-

Old 12-30-2006, 07:05 PM

625 posts, read 1,722,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynnsoucy View Post
We saw our first snow storm of the year today. The weather stations were saying this morning that it would snow all day but wouldn't amount to anything. Wrong again!! We got a little over an inch in southern NH.

I was on the road all day today (I deliver for Fedex) so I can tell you first hand that the snow crews were not prepared for this!!! It came down hard and fast, and apparently no one saw it coming (like usual). All of our drivers had a hard time today.

Winter starts much later than it used to. For the past few years we've had 50 degree temps right through December. We usually get at least a dusting before Christmas, but this year we didn't. Winters are changing, certainly aren't what they used to be.
An inch? Man I'd hate to see your ruler. Out at my place I got about 3-4 inches (Rochester). Plows didn't hit the roads until about 7 here so the hill is nice and slick!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:30 PM

2,489 posts, read 5,317,835 times
We aren't in Southern New Hampshire, but up in Littleton - we woke to snow and heard the first plow/sander go through around 6 a.m. and they kept going throughout the day - we had maybe 4-5" but our roads were good all day......We had snow one other time and the same thing happened - road crews out early, roads were fine.......This is probably the wrong thread to post this on, but I was wondering if it's the "norm" for the northern areas to be better "prepared"? This is our first winter here, so I have no idea what to expect.......

Old 12-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
We aren't in Southern New Hampshire, but up in Littleton - we woke to snow and heard the first plow/sander go through around 6 a.m. and they kept going throughout the day - we had maybe 4-5" but our roads were good all day......We had snow one other time and the same thing happened - road crews out early, roads were fine.......This is probably the wrong thread to post this on, but I was wondering if it's the "norm" for the northern areas to be better "prepared"? This is our first winter here, so I have no idea what to expect.......
Well, I'm kind of off in the boonies, and I'm sure the plow crews were much more diligent in keeping the main roads and Hwy 16 clear than the little side streets.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:19 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,392,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
I have lived in Manchester and now close to Littleton. I must say the road crews up north are defenetly on the ball. Don't get me wrong our road crews here are AWSOME compaired to other states. But the northern crews seem more ready for it. I thought they did good in the southern part of the state until I moved up here. But wow the plows are at it all day pass after pass. granted less roads up here so I guess it only makes sence. But my hat goes off to all of NH Road Crews Keep up the great work!!!! Anyone that works 24 to 48 hrs strait in a storm to keep my family safe should get a raise. Oh wait you finally got 1 this year. Keep it up we appreciate it.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 PM

Coming from New York State, we have been very impressed with the road crews and the way the roads are taken care of.....At least so far. We don't live in the town proper, but within the town limits and both the road we are on and the ones in town were in really good shape compared to what we were used to

Old 01-01-2007, 06:24 AM

Let's see how it is today--BTW--woke up to a flock of wild turkeys on the front lawn. Even got a few pics of them.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:19 AM

(I started this and then hit the wrong key, so if this message posts twice, that's why!) We had freezing rain during the night and the plows and sanders were out in force almost as soon as it started - this morning the roads were fine....it's now a "balmy" 34 degrees. How nice that a flock of wild turkeys decided to drop in an wish you a happy new year! We have a flock of them out back that periodicall look like they're parading for us......Hope you have a good 2007!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire