Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 01:39 PM

65 posts, read 88,698 times

Advertisements

No complaining; if anything, this February we learned that electricity is more reliable in NH than in our home state of Texas
Then, we came back South after semi-winterizing our place, to clean, prep the place here for renter or sale. We left everything set to the minimum (water heater), or off (room heaters). Oil is main heating, the thermostat set to 40. We're now finishing cleaning here (seems like we'd never get done), and we received our first "remote" electric bill. $75? What? (that, besides the previous one being "past due." Despite having set autopay. Whatever)

To begin with, I am confused about there being different electrical companies I can choose from(?) in NH. Here in Texas, you pay the City, and that's as much choice you have, but leaving the house empty is just a few bucks (and then of course you froze this year, some folks a full week without power, but they say it was a once-in-a-lifetime event, fine)

Anyway, the question is, our NH electric use billed was like $21.
OK fine, the water heater is still on, even if set low, and a couple lights on timers.

But then, more than $50 of "transportation charges?" We tried to get the electricity company to explain, but made no much sense of that. Got the impression that "that's the way it is." Which I guess we can get used to. Are those "transportation charges" like a set minimum, that they charge you, whatever? It does feel a bit excessive.

Any insights?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 01:45 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Part of deregulation. Transport the electricity over the wires to your house.

This article calls the charge "transmission and distribution charges".

https://energywatch-inc.com/utility-...ion-vs-supply/

Old 04-19-2021, 02:31 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Here are links to both Eversource and Unitel bills.

As you can see there are sections for power generation and power distribution. There is always a minimum for power distribution via the "customer" charge.

And in Texas you can pick your power provider as well. I'm guessing you went with the default provider which I'm guessing is the aggregator for your municipality.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:55 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Lightbulb I originally had a water heater on a separate meter with a separate bill at a discounted rate

Standby usage on a resistive electric storage tank water heater can add up fast, but if you're keeping the basement from freezing with your oil heat, you can just turn off the electric water heater entirely (flip the breaker).

What you don't want to do is turn the water heater down to the lowest temperature setting, that's how you end up breeding stuff in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apapermaker View Post
We left everything set to the minimum (water heater), or off (room heaters). Oil is main heating, the thermostat set to 40....
If you are turning the heat down that low, you really should drain the pipes and heater entirely, and put RV antifreeze in all the drain traps. When the house is kept at 40F, pipes can freeze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As you can see there are sections for power generation and power distribution. There is always a minimum for power distribution via the "customer" charge.
The main "fixed charge" is that customer charge, the rest is based on usage, and this is shown in the bill details (each line will have a ###kWh x 0.xxx multiplier before the dollar amount)

I've never gotten my bill so low that I saw a minimum power distribution charge

Last edited by Nonesuch; 04-19-2021 at 03:14 PM..

Old 04-19-2021, 03:05 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
When we lived there my husband went ballistic the first time he saw that. Our heat was $400 a month and half of that was “delivery fees”.. I’ll never forget him telling the lady “unless you’re physically bringing this electricity over in a god damn bucket then you’re not delivering s$!t to me” .. it’s the only state I’ve lived in that had that charge. Here in NC our heating and electric stay under $100 a any season and in the summer gas is a flat $10 fee a mo. We’re around 2000 sqft here and I think we were maybe 600-800 sqft there

Old 04-19-2021, 06:13 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,057,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Our heat was $400 a month and half of that was “delivery fees”

Ouch. I thought it was bad when my February electric bill hit 250 and my March one was 180.

NHEC looks to be about 0.04031 per kWh for delivery charges.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Deregulation.

Has no one mentioned that New Hampshire deregulated the electric sourcing companies about 20 years ago. ?

Pick and choose.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:53 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post Sometimes suppliers will save you money, at least for the initial contract period. Usually no real savings in long term

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Deregulation.
Has no one mentioned that New Hampshire deregulated the electric sourcing companies about 20 years ago. ?
Pick and choose.
You can choose your "supplier", but you are stuck with your transportation ("Delivery Services" aka "transmission and distribution") provider. Only the "Supplier Service" part of your bill changes.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:55 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
OP, you will likely get lots of mail from various energy suppliers in New Hampshire trying to get you to switch to them.

I have Eversource (the main supplier, I think) and have thought a few times about switching ... then I read the fine print and I see that the low rate the new company offers is good for all of 3 months (or whatever), then it can jump HIGHER than Eversource. So I might save literally $8 total for the first 3 months, then who knows?

Maybe some have made out well after switching, but it hasn't seemed worth it to me.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:30 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
I wouldn't switch providers just to save a few bucks until you check out their outage rates and time to complete repairs. Eversource always seems to lag behind in restoring service. Caveat emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire