Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 04:03 PM

66 posts, read 298,017 times

Advertisements

I've only visited NH a few times in the past few months, so I am not a local. However, I wanted to say that I have been very impressed with the courtesy and kindness of the people, especially when driving. I've had people wave me in to merge in front of them and that does not happen in the Wash.D.C. area. I have not encountered any road rage. I wouldn't judge a state by one of two incidents of angry people. There's always going to be an angry driver out there, just like you can read the NH newspapers and see people are robbed and murdered there as well as anywhere, but from my perspective NH has some of the nicest people I've met and the low crime statistics certainly bear that out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM

205 posts, read 946,637 times
I live in the seacoast and very rarely do I come in contact with any rude, angry drivers. While the amount of cars on the road has increased over the years, NH people just seem to take it in stride. There will always be those few exceptions. While I'm originally from eastern Mass. so I know what the driving is like down there, today I was driving just north of Boston and it is a complete rat race even on a Sunday am. Everyone seems to be in a big hurry and will do whatever they need to do get "ahead" of another driver. This is VERY different than driving in NH. While Salem and Nashua do seem to have a lot of traffic, no one should ever not move to NH because they think the driving is bad here.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:04 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,532 times
Default Crazy Angry People Around Here!

I live over the border of Maine right in the seacoast of NH. Unlike others on this forum who live in other regions of the state of NH? We get some of the crazy Maine drivers and out of staters through our area and it's not something that we take lightly on the seacoast, when we see them speeding or in road accidents especially. Like the article printed here by me over the weekend, previously said? About the Maine driver down in MASS.? It's hopefully making every single one of us "aware" and on the look out for this type of a driver. Especially those of us that live right on the seacoast because we're right next to the coast of Maine; as you no doubt know; it's a hop, skip and a jump away, we see a LOT of Maine license plates. This is the bottom line on why this was printed here by me and that's the wake up call to every one of us that lives in New England or where ever you live around the country. To be aware of it and to be on your guard. Whether you like hearing it or not, it's not just in the state of New Hampshire that this is about, it's not just Massachusetts and it's not just the state of Maine; all of New England needs to be aware of this issue and the rest of the country does too. Road rage is happening everywhere all over the USA; highway and road speeders are on our roads even more than ever and we're seeing much more accidents than ever ever before, as a result of this. Be on your toes, be aware, and yes be on your guard because of this. That's just one example that I copied here yesterday for us. There's some drivers just like this young driver that was in his little black honda civic; they have got to be stopped in their tracks and if you see any one behaving like this out on the road or highway? Call 911 Call the police right away. Get there license plate number fast because it's all got to be stopped right away, keep the pen and paper handy in your car, and being such good citizens that we all want to be, and that we all ARE, hopefully? It's our obligation and it's our duty and it absolutely needs to be addressed one way or ANOTHER; to stop ones like this, right in their tracks. It takes a village!! We can do it. We have ALL got to stop these "crazy angry people in New Hampshire" and "in Maine;"and "in Massachusetts;" and ALL the other states that are being subjected to this nonsense, because that's all it is and the police need to be aware of it happening. A lot of times they don't see any of this going on. They need to be told about it fast, to get them off the road.

Living over the border in NH's seacoast we see a ton of Maine license plates, they're shopping in all the plazas, supermarkets and Malls here, why wouldn't they? It's tax free, but we've also seen plenty of accidents and we've seen speed by quite a few out of staters in this area shopping here or whatever they're doing for the day here and it's witnessed by a lot of us that live here as NH residence and if they don't see what the rest of us see? There's something wrong, because the rest of us have seen it. You might not see it in other parts of the state of NH. as much as we do here; but we see it all the time right over here. If you're living in the Manchester area or up in the White Mountains? Or even further up? You're not going to see what we see as much, because it's more convenient for these particular shoppers in other states that live right near the seacoast here to be in this particular area for their things rather than driving further throughout the state. I'm telling you, we've seen it more than once, plenty of accidents and quite a lot of road speeders and where are they usually from? Out of state. It isn't going away any time soon, unless we stand together and make the officials do something about it once and for all. The speeders and road ragers have got to be stopped in their tracks, I'm telling you right now, it takes a village.

New Hampshire is a state that won't put up with any of this road rage nonsense, they never have and they never will AND that's the beauty of living in this wonderful state AND that's why the rest of the NH residence don't see what I'm trying to say here and a lot of them do not want to hear any of this, BUT it's part of ALL of our society; it's going on in the whole country, not just in NH, or in New England either, it's everywhere and it's part of some peoples lifestyle, they don't see anything wrong with speeding and they don't see anything wrong with road rage, whatsoever, well the majority of us out here want something done about it. We have ALL got to stop the road ragers right in their tracks, some how, some way, because too many many people are getting hurt on the roads and too many are getting killed. We all take our lives in to our own hands; when we go out on the highways and by ways; no matter WHERE we live in this country.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:38 PM

951 posts, read 1,654,629 times
Take a breath CityGirl52!!

I'm with mlynnsoucy; your diatribe, though on subject, was alarming and a catalyst for incitement, far too much even for this poorly thought-out thread.

I, for one, don't like these types of subjects because of their volatile nature and [i]everyone[i]will have their own opinion based on where they live, where they drive, etc. It's just a breeding ground for the atypical. I can recount dozens of road rage stories from all over New England as well, but what would that accomplish?

I think this thread is insensitive and there is nothing to gain from having mob-like mentality spread around to people who love New England and want to make a life change to this beautiful place. This should be a forum for help and advice, not one for fear and antipathy.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 PM

21 posts, read 108,174 times
I started this thread for several reasons:

1. I lived in the Wash. DC area for about 30 years and experienced more than my share of road rage and lawlessness on the road. My vehicle was totalled by a red light runner and my wife and I are fortunate to be alive. (Mr. Red Light Runner then took me to court and said I am the one that ran the red light... fortunately I had a witness who testified otherwise)

2. I currently live in Roanoke, VA and traffic is basically nonexistent here. People are very relaxed and corteous and that attitude carries over to the roads and highways. My wife and I love it... so why do we want to move? Decent jobs are hard to come by- especially for white collar workers (unless you're an RN, PT, OT, etc). I've been looking for work now for 8 months... usually I can get a job in a week or two.

3. New Hampshire is an awesome state and for libertarian/republican people like us it's a definate consideration. But then I remember my two bad incidences while visiting a few years ago, remind myself of the lunatic red light runner who totaled my vehicle in the DC area, and while living here in Roanoke (land of the geriatric driver) I realize how much I don't miss crazy drivers... so what do I do? I start this thread to get some feed back.

The purpose of this thread was well thought out, I just didn't want to have to explain all of the above and bore people with my life story. So if you read all that and fell into a coma, don't blame me, blame bryfry.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRanzolin View Post
The purpose of this thread was well thought out, I just didn't want to have to explain all of the above and bore people with my life story. So if you read all that and fell into a coma, don't blame me, blame bryfry.
I'm sorry you took umbrage to my assessment of the thread, although since you are the author, I don't blame you. I have a tendency to be a bit sharp tongued without any thought sometimes.

But you see, just the title alone will garner some anti-New Hampshire/New England behavior. I don't want to sermonize, but look what happened when CityGirl52 chimed in. Blaming me may be poorly aimed. I just responded to her post, but at the same time gave criticism to what I thought was a poor choice of content.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience in your past. I just didn't think it's a subject that brings together what New England and New Hampshire is all about. Again, my apologies for making you upset. Just my opinion.

I,too, love New Hampshire's Libertarian/Republican views. It's the main reason why I want to get out of Liberal Massachusetts! Good luck to you and your family.

'Nuf Said.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:01 PM

21 posts, read 108,174 times
Bryfry...When I previewed my last post before submitting it it said "don't blame me, blame bryfry ". I should have left the smily face in... I'm really not upset, just clarifying why I started this thread (my criticism was meant to be "tongue-in-cheek"). 20/20 hindsight though I should have deleted my entire last paragraph and redone it.

Good luck to you in your Mass exit.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:29 AM

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:20 PM

37 posts, read 121,077 times
In New Hampshire, we have posted signs stating, "Please drive with courtesy, it's the NH way" and for the most part it is. Unfortunately, no place is safe from road rage. We had an incident where a young man with road rage followed us for 45 minutes (he only disappeared when we pulled into a police station). His rage occurred from me taking too long at a four way intersection and was intiated by him shouting, "Are you gonna f***ing go, or what". Perhaps he is illiterate and can't read those courtesy signs we have in NH.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:11 AM

108 posts, read 412,938 times
Quote:
LRanzolin:
It was probably a tourist(s) from Mass!!! We typically don't use our horns, or give siteseers a hard time. Usually when someone honks at me for pulling off the road, they have Mass plates
oh my god, that's exactly what I was thinking!

Also, If you pull off the road in a safe spot, make sure you use your blinkers (yeah, you'd be amazed at the people who don't) . That should keep you on the white list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire