Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 AM

7 posts, read 19,984 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread a couple months ago asking about the Lakes region of NH and got many great responses. I'm pleased to be able to say that we will be moving to Laconia at the end of the month! We have decided to rent in Laconia until we have really gotten to know the area at which time we would feel more comfortable in buying something in one of the smaller surrounding towns.

For anyone living in this area I have a question:

I like to take my dog for an hour or two hike in the woods everyday after or before work. He is very afraid of people (he came from a shelter so I'm not positive on his background) and is much more comfortable off his leash because of that (I assume that on leash he feels backed into a corner,especially when new people approach him). Off-leash he is very friendly with both dogs and people and never strays out of my sight. I am working to get him better on leash by taking him around the neighborhood at very quiet times but I would still like to be able to let him run everyday since he is used to that exercise. Does anyone know of anything within 1/2 hour to an hour's driving distance where I could take him that won't be too heavily populated?

I also have a cat and would like to find both him and the dog an excellent vet in the area. Any suggestions from you animal people?

And also, (sorry this is so long ) anyone know of any jobs working with animals in the area? I've worked in a shelter before doing kennel work and adoption counseling and would love to find something similar. Even just as a part-time thing or volunteer.

Thanks so much!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
check out the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center - sometimes they have openings and they certainly welcome volunteers!!

Mt. Major is not too far away from Laconia and a great place to hike with animals. I'm sure there are others too. Belknap Mt. comes to mind also. It has a fire tower with views of Lake Winnipesaukee. Before long, you'll find your own favorite spot.

Welcome!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
I live in Laconia but I drive to Tilton for my vet- she was our vet before we moved to Laconia. Here is her website.

Our Veterinary Team - Lake Side Animal Hospital of Tilton, PLLC - Tilton, NH

I really like Dr. Jennifer. We have received excellent care for our cat.

Nicolem

Old 05-13-2008, 09:02 AM

I should have added that you will be arriving just as the season gets started and a few weeks before Motorcycle week. Not sure where you are going to be living but during Motorcycle week traffic will be crazy and you may need to take alternate routes.

Regarding the animals. You might try the NH Humane Society in Laconia. Here is a link to their site:

New Hampshire Humane Society

Isn't Scooter cute?

This link is for volunteer opportunities for their 2008 Designer Showhouse:

New Hampshire Humane Society (broken link)

They are looking for volunteers for the time the house will be shown from July 26-August 10. The shifts are 3.5 hours and training is provided. You just stand there, be friendly and answer questions-at least that is what I am told All proceeds will go right to the shelter. I know they need a LOT of volunteers. I am going to do a few shifts for them. If interested, you can call Sharon Tyler at 603-527-1421 and sign up. When it gets closer, she will call you and let you know when we will meet for training.

Nicolem

Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 19,984 times
Thanks to Buck Naked for the hiking suggestions - I'm definitely going to check those out as soon as we move in!

Nicole, that vet looks great. I'll probably go in an visit before I decide for sure to use them. Also, that volunteering opportunity looks like a great way to begin getting involved in the community in town! I'm planning on going in and visiting the Humane Society there shortly after I move in.

What roads are usually affected by Bike Week? Rt. 3 coming into Laconia off of 93 already seems to move slowly because of the construction going on there. I'll be living on Fenton Ave which I'm a little nervous about - some of the neighbors were pretty loud when I was there yesterday cleaning up the apartment. It was the first place that said "yes" to the pets so we took it. It's a month to month lease so as soon as we find something better we can move.

Sharon

Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slw21 View Post
Thanks to Buck Naked for the hiking suggestions - I'm definitely going to check those out as soon as we move in!

Nicole, that vet looks great. I'll probably go in an visit before I decide for sure to use them. Also, that volunteering opportunity looks like a great way to begin getting involved in the community in town! I'm planning on going in and visiting the Humane Society there shortly after I move in.

What roads are usually affected by Bike Week? Rt. 3 coming into Laconia off of 93 already seems to move slowly because of the construction going on there. I'll be living on Fenton Ave which I'm a little nervous about - some of the neighbors were pretty loud when I was there yesterday cleaning up the apartment. It was the first place that said "yes" to the pets so we took it. It's a month to month lease so as soon as we find something better we can move.

Sharon
Rt 3 will have a lot of traffic all summer long-people coming up to the big lake. The construction by the Belknap mall only adds to back ups. I am not sure where Fenton Ave is but we have a bypass to avoid some of the downtown/Union Ave traffic.

I live near Weir's Beach and Thur-Sun they close down some roads by me and we have to go in a totally opposite direction. The roads closest to Weir's Beach will be most affected however the area as a whole will be very crowded. There will be a LOT of motorcycles and people walking on the sides of the roads. MC week runs from June 14-22 but it is really June 19-22 that has the most people/crowds. I would suggest going down just to take a walk around. You do not have to be mc people to do it-we are not but like to get down and check it out. It is an experience-if you are going to live here you should check it out at least once.

If you have any other questions about living in Laconia feel free to ask-either on the board or dm.

Good Luck,

Nicolem

Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM

What roads are usually affected by Bike Week?

all of them..

just kidding. However, it's very noticeable when they are here. They are everywhere!

They travel in packs and can be seen all around the lake, not just the weirs.

The vendors set up at Main St. at the Weirs, so there is no motor vehicle traffic there other than bikes. but, the bikies are tourists and they like to tour!

A few years ago, it got really rowdy and the crowds would build up on both sides of the street to watch the parade of bikes that seems to be neverending. There are some real beauties! The babes used to lift their shirts and give a show, but the cops cracked down on that pretty hard roughly 5 years ago and since then, it's not as prevalent as it was. People complained that they couldn't bring their minor kids to watch.

You will still see the younger kids on *** bikes and the girls riding on the back wearing just a thong. It's a site to behold!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 PM

wow - that should say japanese bikes, but it got astericked.....

hopefully, it will post this time.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,573 times
1st -This thread is a little old, she moved back in May/June so she's probably already here etc...

2nd - I believe your statement of veterinary care in NH is a broad statement based on your one (although tragic for you) experience at one clinic in Dover. Also your blog states a bunch of names, and I'm not sure I would be stating that without some kind of disclaimer about slander. I personally know one of those people you named and I'm sure they will not be happy to see the conotations you made. We are truly sorry for the loss of your pet, and I am glad that for over 11 years he was able to be a part of your family and be loved and share love with you. I just wonder how much we all can know when we aren't Vets ourselves?

Again my sympathy over the loss of your dog Pocket in 2006 - it obviously still effects you to this day.

Last edited by Suzet2262; 09-18-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: re-posted a deleted post

Old 09-16-2008, 05:07 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I used to live in Laconia.....I really liked Dr. Ware at the Tilton Vet. Hospital....he and his staff provided excellent service and at the time I had to have a dog euthanized...they were compassionate and understanding of my grief.

Hannah and I found lots of places where we could walk off leash...some hiking type places...like Locke's Hill in Gilford and Belknap Mountain....but also up off Meridith Center Road but also shorter walks in town where she could run off leash. You must clean up after your dog of course and if off leash they must be under voice control; Hannah liked to go for a swim over at the little park in Laconia in Lake Winnesquam at a boat landing near Shore drive off from Pleasant street.

Timing as in all things is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire