Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times

Advertisements

a lot of people would lose their jobs if they couldn't get out of their houses for weeks...chuckle.

Tara does have an extremely jaded view and I have no doubt she had bad experiences, but they are not the norm, by far.

I have very friendly neighbors and even had an unknown person pull in and plow my driveway once when I was snowblowing it. Just to be nice.

People react to negativity with more negativity.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:56 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
You guys make it up in all the other taxes/fees you have but its never brought up, and people moving there might not understand or realize that.
Oh that's not true. Have you missed all the posts about car registration? Have you missed many of the posts about heating styles? I know you haven't because you've posted on them. And besides, anyone with a brain can realize that you have to have SOME income to run a state so there are bound to be fees and costs on things. Nothing that NH does is unique to NH as far as fees, I've seen it many other places. Just because you didn't encounter them in FL doesn't mean that no other states are like that. However, NH tries very hard to not overtax and overspend like many states. They try to run on a shoe-string budget and much of what taxes there are stay local - which is very different from a lot of other states (my current one in particular).

Quote:
All thats preached is "no sales tax, no income tax" Big whoop.
sorry, while that is mentioned I think what is 'preached' is how beautiful it is - especially north of Concord. And it is.

Quote:
HUGE influxes of people coming down to Fla, and out to Cali, and Arizona NM
and you don't think retirement and wanting warmer places might have something to do with it? Most people, when they retire, don't want to go some place cold (unless it was home). Granted not all people moving are retirees, but there's getting more and more as the baby boomers are graying! Also, there's more available in those states because they're bigger, and there's more amenities - for those who want to be in more crowded areas.

Quote:
They're looking for cheaper living and livable weather.. It seems to be completely not talked about on these boards and it really should be.
Funny, I remember reading a lot of posts discussing how many snowstorms this year, and how cold some of the record cold snaps were. And I believe I have frequently mentioned the snow goes in 'belts' with some places (like Keene) getting more than other places (like seacoast).

You know, if FL is so wonderful, why on earth did you ever leave it in the first place, and why does anyone else ever leave it?! Variety is there for just that reason: you can have the hot, sticky, 1-season cheaper state, and I'll take NH even if I do dislike the cold (I'll cope).

Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 PM

163 posts, read 237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post

The North East is VERY expensive to live in.. If it wasn't we wouldn't have HUGE influxes of people coming down to Fla, and out to Cali, and Arizona NM etc... They're looking for cheaper living and livable weather..
I have lived in UT, IN, IL, TX, NJ and NH, and by far NH has one of the lower cost of living compared to the other states, maybe TX would be lesser... And there is NO WAY people would be moving to Cali for cheaper living by any stretch of imagination, "livable weather" maybe, its all relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
but there are days where you are completely trapped in the house sometimes for weeks.
Don't know which Keene you are referring to, I did not miss a single day from work last year because of any snow/weather/being trapped in the house sometimes for weeks related issue... neither did any of my co-workers who drive to work not only from Keene and surrounding towns, but also from 2 neighboring states

Old 05-15-2008, 10:20 PM

76 posts, read 174,038 times
Thank you Buck. My husband and I are teachers, and 60K is the salary he will make. I also teach but am home right now with our three kids. Thank you also for your info on heating. We have a relative in SE NH who said he pays about $2000 a year for a 2000 sq ft house. I figure that into our monthly estimates so to hear you pay $1000 is great. Teachers also get a little raise each year so 60K is not forever but there will not be any huge raises...ever. We hope to buy a newer house after renting and make sure it is insulated well.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Hi athomemom,

another thing you might do, if you have an idea of what towns you might be interested in, go to the community profiles NH Community Profiles (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link) and the city-data pages New Hampshire Bigger Cities (over 6000 residents) - Real Estate, Housing, Schools, Residents, Crime, Pollution, Demographics and More and see what the median income is for those towns. I figure there must be people getting by on whatever that amount is!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Someone who prefers Fla over NH would probably not consider NH a great place to live. I've known people who moved to NH from Fla and went running back after their first NH winter.

I also know people (many more) who left NH for Fla and couldn't wait to get back. After spending the winter in Fla many missed even the cold over the subtle seasons land of Fla. Many of those that truly don't care for the cold winters now take the option of renting in Fla for 2 or 3 months one of the numerous vacancies available which is far cheaper than owning and return to the beauty of NH spring, summer and fall.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I can't take it anymore. I will try not to make this a personal attack, but if I am banned for life, than so be it.

A certain person railed at the horribleness of Florida for many months, complete with many pictures of Florida bugs. Day after day. On and on.

This person went up to New Hampshire and deemed it a horrible place to live. This person said that her husband, a Naples dispatcher, made $90,000 a year. I see that this person has since downgraded that to $70,000 something. Sorry. Even with unlimited overtime, it is not possible. I have a sister-in-law in Fort Myers that was a police dispatcher for many years, and with unlimited overtime, the most she could have hoped to make was about $35,000.

Southwest Florida has a horrible educational system, unfriendly people, huge traffic jams, unbearable heat, few job that do not pay a living wage, prices that are still through the roof, although they have come down quite a bit.

Do you know why New England is expensive? Because it has fantastic schools, forthright people whose word is their bond, unparalleled food, beautiful scenery, and historical buildings that the locals deem worth saving because they believe in their heritage.

I would take an entire brutal winter in New England over that brutal southwest Florida heat. Indeed, Floridians can be trapped in their homes from May to September.

It doesn't surprise me that a native Floridian would hate New England. I am a born and bred New Englander. When I moved to Florida, I was mortified. The shallowness of the people was astounding. There was a home that had been the rare historical property. There were so few left. The local politicians agreed to bulldoze. Everything was for a quick buck. So unlike New England, which has always been about preservation.

New England is old money, where you keep it under a floor board, Florida was new money, where you refinanced your home to buy a Hummer. New Englanders would shudder. Clearly, the subprime and HELOC mess shows that ostentatiousness does not pay.

Drugs were rampant throughout the area. I'm not saying that New England doesn't have drugs, but this is on a monumental scale. It is not in just the bad areas. The elderly lady next to you in your "nice" community could be a drug dealer. I saw that so many times.

Developments were approved, no matter what. To heck with the protected panther. Local politicians found a way to approve it. In the end, it was Florida's demise. Greed took over the area and it was their undoing.

To the person that mentioned high insurance costs, you are so right. Insurance companies deal in numbers and profit. Florida was high risk and the rates reflect that. No amount of whining will change that. Insurance companies are not paying out huge amounts of money for a blizzard.

And besides, blizzards are fun. You have a blizzard party. Hurricanes are not fun. I went through Charley and I can attest to that. No one was partying.

Finally, the educational system is deplorable. A certain person recently said that New Hampshire has a horrible educational system. Fortunately someone called that person on that.

Check a native New Englander's punctuation and grammar. Check the Floridian's. Enough said.

I moved to Florida from Massachusetts. I lived there for nine years. It was the worst nine years of my life. I have lived in Tennessee for three years. It is not my beloved New England, but it is better than Florida, which is a huge strip mall with one palm tree and a drug addict lurking nearby. Hyperbole, I admit, but I could not resist, and when I think of Florida, that is the picture that I conjure up.

Florida. No thank you. Someday I hope to move back to New England, but it is too expensive. Yes, you get what you pay for.

And "hello" to my New England friends. Eat a clam fritter for me.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:20 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I can't take it anymore. I will try not to make this a personal attack, but if I am banned for life, than so be it.

A certain person railed at the horribleness of Florida for many months, complete with many pictures of Florida bugs. Day after day. On and on.

This person went up to New Hampshire and deemed it a horrible place to live. This person said that her husband, a Naples dispatcher, made $90,000 a year. I see that this person has since downgraded that to $70,000 something. Sorry. Even with unlimited overtime, it is not possible. I have a sister-in-law in Fort Myers that was a police dispatcher for many years, and with unlimited overtime, the most she could have hoped to make was about $35,000.

Southwest Florida has a horrible educational system, unfriendly people, huge traffic jams, unbearable heat, few job that do not pay a living wage, prices that are still through the roof, although they have come down quite a bit.

Do you know why New England is expensive? Because it has fantastic schools, forthright people whose word is their bond, unparalleled food, beautiful scenery, and historical buildings that the locals deem worth saving because they believe in their heritage.

I would take an entire brutal winter in New England over that brutal southwest Florida heat. Indeed, Floridians can be trapped in their homes from May to September.

It doesn't surprise me that a native Floridian would hate New England. I am a born and bred New Englander. When I moved to Florida, I was mortified. The shallowness of the people was astounding. There was a home that had been the rare historical property. There were so few left. The local politicians agreed to bulldoze. Everything was for a quick buck. So unlike New England, which has always been about preservation.

New England is old money, where you keep it under a floor board, Florida was new money, where you refinanced your home to buy a Hummer. New Englanders would shudder. Clearly, the subprime and HELOC mess shows that ostentatiousness does not pay.

Drugs were rampant throughout the area. I'm not saying that New England doesn't have drugs, but this is on a monumental scale. It is not in just the bad areas. The elderly lady next to you in your "nice" community could be a drug dealer. I saw that so many times.

Developments were approved, no matter what. To heck with the protected panther. Local politicians found a way to approve it. In the end, it was Florida's demise. Greed took over the area and it was their undoing.

To the person that mentioned high insurance costs, you are so right. Insurance companies deal in numbers and profit. Florida was high risk and the rates reflect that. No amount of whining will change that. Insurance companies are not paying out huge amounts of money for a blizzard.

And besides, blizzards are fun. You have a blizzard party. Hurricanes are not fun. I went through Charley and I can attest to that. No one was partying.

Finally, the educational system is deplorable. A certain person recently said that New Hampshire has a horrible educational system. Fortunately someone called that person on that.

Check a native New Englander's punctuation and grammar. Check the Floridian's. Enough said.

I moved to Florida from Massachusetts. I lived there for nine years. It was the worst nine years of my life. I have lived in Tennessee for three years. It is not my beloved New England, but it is better than Florida, which is a huge strip mall with one palm tree and a drug addict lurking nearby. Hyperbole, I admit, but I could not resist, and when I think of Florida, that is the picture that I conjure up.

Florida. No thank you. Someday I hope to move back to New England, but it is too expensive. Yes, you get what you pay for.

And "hello" to my New England friends. Eat a clam fritter for me.
Welcome to the NH board hiknapster-don't know if you have posted here before- I may have missed your earlier posts. Feel free to stick around and post some more-

Nicolem

Old 05-17-2008, 02:50 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Sorry folks, I am going to close this thread. This has turned into a personal bashing of NH by someone and not sticking to the real point of this thread. If you all want to start another one of the cost of living and keep it to that subject, and not why you hate NH, then go ahead. Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire