Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:22 PM

66 posts, read 297,940 times
University of Maryland, College Park, MD Tuition and related costs

Estimated Costs Resident Non-resident
Annual Tuition and Mandatory Fees* $7,906 $21,345
On-Campus residence hall room $4,997 $4,997
Meal plan (Average) $3,425 $3,425
Books supplies and medical insurance $1,400 $1,400
Local transportation and incidental costs $2,575 $2,575
Total $20,303 $33,742

New Hampshire beats Maryland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 03:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
First thing out of the way--thanks for trying to make me feel unwelcome. You're the first person in five months of living in NH who has done that.

You should be so proud...[/sarc]

Second, to your assertion that UNH is the most expensive four-year public school...not so.

In state tuition for UNH is $7710 per year, with out-of-state residents paying $19,430 per year.

While this is more expensive (for in state residents) than the US average of $5836, it is still under the national out-of-state average for public schools, it's nowhere near the top.

Take, for instance, Pennsylvania. The average in-state tuition is over $9000, with one school (University of Pittsburgh) going for over $12,000 per year. Penn State is nearly as bad. UC Berkley is nearly $8,000 per year. University of Michigan is $9200. Georgia Tech (my alma mater) is now just under $5K. And remember, these don't include living expenses. My cousin went to UCLA and ended up having to share an apartment with four other people cause crackerboxes in that part of town went for over $2K a month (back in the late 1980's).

So please, don't tell me UNH is the most expensive. It's not even close.

And when you do that, you're just undermining the remainder of your aruguement.
Don't let the NH liberal Make you feel that way. For they are young and don't really have a clue, Just think they do. Well sometimes they do but not this time as you proved. We would much prefer you over him in this state. But on the bright side he will probobly leave when done school. lol It is sad to see how the schools are not teaching a balance to the students these days. All they get is 1 point of view and Just like most liberals they scream and shout when they are wrong and refuse to admit it.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:47 PM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times
And all of this errupted because someone simply wanted to know if she would be welcomed in NH... I hope she found some good advice somewhere in this thread. She never came back.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east2west View Post
New Hampshire beats Maryland!
Oh please! I've been stuck living in MD since 1981.. NH beats MD in just about every way I can think of that I care about (except jobs).

and yes, UofMD is expensive. ridiculously expensive. They keep talking about how they're going to lower the admissions... but nothing ever seems to happen.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
Oh please! I've been stuck living in MD since 1981.. NH beats MD in just about every way I can think of that I care about (except jobs).

and yes, UofMD is expensive. ridiculously expensive. They keep talking about how they're going to lower the admissions... but nothing ever seems to happen.
I heard they did? From what I understand the SAT score to be addmited was lowered by almost 150 points.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
And all of this errupted because someone simply wanted to know if she would be welcomed in NH... I hope she found some good advice somewhere in this thread. She never came back.
Debate is allowed, isn't it? Of course she's welcome, and so should everyone who wants to contribute to the bottom line.

Then again, I guess not--the mods docked me a point for supposedly going O/T.

However, I put it to them that it is PRECISELY on topic. We're responsible to ourselves and our neighbors to be self-sufficient. THAT, boys and girls, is what freedom is REALLY all about. Not a creation of a nanny-state where the government takes care of your every whim from cradle to grave, when you'll never really ever go cold, hungry, etc., etc., etc...

Except it never seems to work out that way, now does it? Sure you might have basic needs satisfied, but little more--what incentive is there to strive for greater things if they're just going to be taken away from you, aka, "to each according to his needs, from each according to his ability"?

Wow--that might just be the DNC mantra for 2008.

That back on topic enough for ya'll?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:27 PM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times
Please don't be offended. I am just posting my opinion like y'all, not passing judgement. And that is allowed, just as much as your debate is. I just noticed that the lady didn't come back. That's all.

Last edited by sevdie; 01-17-2007 at 06:57 PM..

Old 01-18-2007, 07:00 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
I heard they did? From what I understand the SAT score to be addmited was lowered by almost 150 points.
Oh dear, I think we're heading OT! I wouldn't be surprised if UofMD lowered their standards, the schools here keep getting dumber and dumber. They had extremely high admissions requirements, you might get in ifyou got a few B's, but not many. It's more the cost that is very expensive.

I still can't think of any way that NH wouldn't beat MD! NH may have a View Tax, but we have a Flush Tax!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:56 AM

21 posts, read 68,380 times
Yeah and way to make a self made college kid who has earned everything he's got feel like a leech, I've worked my ass off since I was 15 and have a semester left until I graduate don't undermind my knowledge, your ad hominem Rush Limbaugh style attacks prove your myopic points of view. something us NH LIBERALS don't have to point out because you already provide them, its been a while since I've been on here because I'm to busy studying what the Conservatives have for a real agenda. NH LIBERALS the next generation if you dont like it move to Nebraska.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:48 AM

625 posts, read 2,435,441 times
How much did you pay for that education again?

Judging by your sentence structure and spelling, it looks like you got ripped off.

And seriously, it's not that liberals are wrong, it's just that you know so much that simply isn't so.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronaldus Maximus

Seriously, NH--slow down, take a breath, and realize that not everyone has it in for you. Not all conservatives listen religiously to Rush--hell, some of us don't even LIKE Rush. Step back, recognize that debate is good, but shrill rhetoric is, well, the hallmark of a liberal.

And smile--above all, smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire