U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2008, 06:45 PM
 
951 posts, read 443,303 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Hi Bry - Hmmmm.....I dunno....it didn't sound like machinery at all.
Those are my wifes words! I'm pretty sure it didn't sound like a tractor! She just has a unique way of describing sounds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2008, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
4,016 posts, read 7,548,414 times
Reputation: 3284
To me, peacocks sound sort of like the monkey house. VERY loud! Check out this page (Peacock Sounds) and click on #5 (chirp). To me, those are "regular" peacock sounds....

Thanks for posting the peacock picture buck. They are such a beautiful bird!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2008, 11:57 PM
 
Location: ~~In my mind~~
2,119 posts, read 4,641,485 times
Reputation: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Okay - Crazy question (what else would you expect from me? ) Does anyone know if there are peacocks in northern NH? This morning we heard what sounded like a peacock - can't see it.......whatever it is, it's "calling" somewhere in the woods behind the house......
I think the calling is like Val said, the mother ship..haha. I keep picturing Mel Gibsons family in the movie Signs, all wearing the tin hats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Seacoast NH
259 posts, read 630,252 times
Reputation: 259
Default Peacock?Sound like this?

They do sound weird, but are not idigenous here. ;http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Birds/Peacock.wav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Back in NYS
2,489 posts, read 5,341,136 times
Reputation: 2060
Yankeehombre - Yep, that's what we heard - just like "back home" at our friend's house The wooded acreage behind the house and off to the side is owned by the town....I wonder if someone has them and they got loose? Haven't heard them today......

Bryfry - I had to laugh at what you said about how your wife describes things - I drive my husband nuts when I try to tell him sounds I heard - especially with the car

Suzet and Val - I have established a direct link to the mothership, so I know it wasn't that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Oceania
1,384 posts, read 2,921,287 times
Reputation: 1486
Dare, I'm jealous that you have peacocks! Can they live here? Even in the winter? I think if we had them roaming our property they'd be fighting with the turkeys!

We used to have peacocks wandering through our yard regularly when we lived in Pasadena. They're amazing, I'd love to have them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Back in NYS
2,489 posts, read 5,341,136 times
Reputation: 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Dare, I'm jealous that you have peacocks! Can they live here? Even in the winter? I think if we had them roaming our property they'd be fighting with the turkeys!

We used to have peacocks wandering through our yard regularly when we lived in Pasadena. They're amazing, I'd love to have them here.
Hi Lisa - I have no idea where they came from, assuming they (it?) are peacocks. I haven't seen them (it?) yet, just heard the "call." We have quite a few wild turkeys that hang out in the yard and those we see frequently. I'll just have to keep my eyes and ears open and see if this elusive "caller" shows himself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Moving
1,249 posts, read 1,868,801 times
Reputation: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Hi Bry - Hmmmm.....I dunno....it didn't sound like machinery at all. Have you heard a peacock? That's really what it sounded like, but "not quite" if that makes any sense.
Dare, your question was not silly!!!! Today I began my desperate attempt to exercise and lose weight so I went running and halfway through my run I encountered a Mother Hen Turkey with her Poults aka Chicks, about 7 of them. I realized immediately because I was running in the mother hen's direction she would definitely attack me to protect her Poults. She made a weird noise and then began running at me moving her neck back and forth in a pecking motion! I literally hauled my pace from my old fart jog to a gait like Jesse Owens! No kidding! It is amazing what adrenalin can do for your speed.
Anyway the Mother Hen did not sound like a Turkey that went Gobble Gobble but more so like a tire squelching. Very weird! I wonder if that is what you heard, as I friend of mine told me that wild turkeys, not the whiskey, are reproducing at exponential rates all throughout the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 04:42 AM
 
Location: Back in NYS
2,489 posts, read 5,341,136 times
Reputation: 2060
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Dare, your question was not silly!!!! Today I began my desperate attempt to exercise and lose weight so I went running and halfway through my run I encountered a Mother Hen Turkey with her Poults aka Chicks, about 7 of them. I realized immediately because I was running in the mother hen's direction she would definitely attack me to protect her Poults. She made a weird noise and then began running at me moving her neck back and forth in a pecking motion! I literally hauled my pace from my old fart jog to a gait like Jesse Owens! No kidding! It is amazing what adrenalin can do for your speed.
Anyway the Mother Hen did not sound like a Turkey that went Gobble Gobble but more so like a tire squelching. Very weird! I wonder if that is what you heard, as I friend of mine told me that wild turkeys, not the whiskey, are reproducing at exponential rates all throughout the USA.
What a visual that created! It wasn't a turkey we heard - hubby heard it too and he used to hunt turkeys in NY, so we definitely know the sounds they make and it's not what you'd expect to hear coming out of them

I guess the bears are out now, too. One guy in Littleton was out walking his dogs yesterday morning and one wondered out in front of them - I guess the dogs and the bear were surprised to see each other - the dogs didn't try to chase it and the bear went back into the woods. At lunchtime, while at work in Jefferson, hubby saw a bear near their shop....came out of the woods, looked at the people, turned around and went back into the woods....and the moose are wandering around, too - Last Thursday morning and this this morning, hubby had one wander along the road on his way to work, just about the same time of morning and same place, so he must "live" there I'm waiting to see if the moose return to our yard this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Oceania
1,384 posts, read 2,921,287 times
Reputation: 1486
Turkeys and bear and mooses, oh my! A bear was spotted in Hollis last week too.
Have you heard any more inexplicable (peacock) noises, Dare?
Comet, good luck in your running efforts!! Don't let those turkeys catch you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top