Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times

Advertisements

I think the main thing to remember is that N.H. is a 4 season area. That whole area is geared towards fall and wintertime activities. If it's too much bother to bundle up and enjoy some fresh air then it's probably not the place for you. If you dont think you'd like skating around a bonfire on some small pond it's not for you. If your not willing to do the things you gotta do to prepare for the next season dont move there. I never realized how special having 4 seasons was until i moved to a warmer climate. If you want to live in a place that is always moving forward move to N.H. If you want to live in a place that's rather stagnent COME ON DOWN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,882 times
oh i am already down as far as i can go ken. i can only go down to mexico from here....well i basically am in mexico here in texas. oh well.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:11 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,407 times
Bare in mind, booker, people who are bitter and had negative experiences will post as such. People who have had more positive ones will reflect that as well. Having lived in New England all my life, both near the ocean and up in the hills, there is one thing that never changes: every year is different. Some years it's crazy snow and cold. The next is mild and rainy. Sometimes the coast gets slammed, sometimes its the mountains. None of this has ever stopped us from having a good time!

My kids have a blast in the winter. They stay out all day sledding, forts, snowballs, etc. All the neighborhood kids are out doing what kids do. It was no different growing up for me either. Sure, on the really cold days/blizzards you stay inside, drink hot chocolate and plan for the next snowball fight. It's just a fact of life up here and if you deal with it properly, it's really not a big deal.

When spring pops, it's awesome. Life starts to renew itself again. Summers are hot and lazy, but it beats the brutal humidity and heat you get down south. Nights are cooler and a great time to sit on the porch and watch the fireflys, reflecting on the busy day you had. Yes, there are allergy seasons and I've had them forever, but so what. What's the alternative? The desert? I deal with them as everything else.

For every negative thing there is an off-setting positive one. In fact, if you ask me, I think there are more positives by far. But then again, I'm not a bitter, doomy-gloomy, glass half empty kind of guy. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade and have your kids sell it by the side of the road for .50 a glass!

Anyway, come on up. The water's fine. It ain't always rosey, but it's where we live and I love it.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM

24 posts, read 117,842 times
Default no thank you

what i can tell you is that your generalizations about hispanic children are both unintelligent and racist. nh is a progressive and forward thinking state- please don't bring your racism here

Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
oh i am already down as far as i can go ken. i can only go down to mexico from here....well i basically am in mexico here in texas. oh well.
I feel for you-people who don't have to live with the negative effects of the illegal invasion have no idea what Americans on the border have to deal with.

Nicolem

Old 05-21-2008, 01:50 PM

113 posts, read 343,468 times
The best way to look at the New England weather, my junior year English teacher said this and always stuck with me, "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute..."

New England weather is unpredictable and always changing. It's not necessarily a bad thing. I remember a couple winters ago we had the warmest Christmas must of been in the 50s or 60s. I moved to TN after living in MA for 21 years and to be honest I miss the 4 seasons and the snowy winters.

I agree with a lot of people on here and the best way to decide is to experience the winters before you move. I wish you the best of luck on your decision. My Fiance and I will be moving back up north, I am hoping more sooner then later.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
Well on the bright side if you choose the right town your kids school may be falling down around them but they'll be educated

Quote:
Despite the fact that 75 percent of the Monadnock district schools are now deemed in need of improvement for failing to meet state standards for adequate yearly progress, administrators see reason for optimism in this year's state test scores.

Last year, five of the district's eight schools were listed as in need of improvement, a designation for a school that fails to meet adequate yearly progress on state examinations for two years in a row. This year, a sixth school - Gilsum Elementary School - joined the pack, while only Emerson and Sullivan elementary schools buck the trend.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I feel for you-people who don't have to live with the negative effects of the illegal invasion have no idea what Americans on the border have to deal with.

Nicolem
thank you. bluegreen doesn't have to deal with that stuff in new hampshire.

hey blue....come live down here for a while and see how you feel about illegals. you come teach illegal children in school like i do (because the law says we have to) and we will see if your opinion changes.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,420 times
Default Cosign

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Bare in mind, booker, people who are bitter and had negative experiences will post as such. People who have had more positive ones will reflect that as well. Having lived in New England all my life, both near the ocean and up in the hills, there is one thing that never changes: every year is different. Some years it's crazy snow and cold. The next is mild and rainy. Sometimes the coast gets slammed, sometimes its the mountains. None of this has ever stopped us from having a good time!

My kids have a blast in the winter. They stay out all day sledding, forts, snowballs, etc. All the neighborhood kids are out doing what kids do. It was no different growing up for me either. Sure, on the really cold days/blizzards you stay inside, drink hot chocolate and plan for the next snowball fight. It's just a fact of life up here and if you deal with it properly, it's really not a big deal.

When spring pops, it's awesome. Life starts to renew itself again. Summers are hot and lazy, but it beats the brutal humidity and heat you get down south. Nights are cooler and a great time to sit on the porch and watch the fireflys, reflecting on the busy day you had. Yes, there are allergy seasons and I've had them forever, but so what. What's the alternative? The desert? I deal with them as everything else.

For every negative thing there is an off-setting positive one. In fact, if you ask me, I think there are more positives by far. But then again, I'm not a bitter, doomy-gloomy, glass half empty kind of guy. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade and have your kids sell it by the side of the road for .50 a glass!

Anyway, come on up. The water's fine. It ain't always rosey, but it's where we live and I love it.
You just described Annapolis, MD -- and, I suspect, many other places inside and outside of NH!

Booker-one, Tara is one person who had a bad experience in NH and to the extent one sees similarities between Tara and oneself w.r.t. likes/dislikes, experiences, etc., one should certainly factor her views into one's overall impression/view of NH. That said -- please also consider that she is arguably the vocally extreme end of the spectrum as far as negative NH experiences go.

FWIW I was in the New London area for several days in mid-April. After 2 weeks of 70+ weather, there was barely any snow to be seen, save patches in the woods and untreated/unmaintained state park roads. I hesitate to paint a picture of "7 months of winter" as a routine experience given the record snows this year and my own experience.

ymmv, Jackie

Old 05-22-2008, 05:56 AM

Yeah i can tell tara had a bad experience. i guess new hampshire isn't for everyone. hopefully we will both love it when we come up this summer and i will have a reason to schedule a winter trip. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire