Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:22 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times

Advertisements

This seems weird to me. Out here we can buy any kind of alcohol 24-7. We have the grocery stores that sell hard alcohol, beer and wine. The convience stores that sell beer and wine and then the stores like Rite-Aid or Sav-on that you can buy the hard stuff too, and some are open 24 hours.

We have a Trader Joes out here, and all of the snooty rich witches shop in it, that is why I dont really ever go there. We also have a Whole Foods, which has a more diverse type of people who shop there, I like it much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 04:42 AM

117 posts, read 425,063 times
Hey guys,

For the record I don't drive a SAAB (minivan central here) or am a snotty person. I like buying some stuff at TJs (dried fruit and nuts are awesome there), but we shop anywhere we can get decent, good priced food. Please, these generalizations are a bit mean spirited.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:52 AM

951 posts, read 1,654,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexicana View Post
For the record I don't drive a SAAB (minivan central here) or am a snotty person. I like buying some stuff at TJs (dried fruit and nuts are awesome there), but we shop anywhere we can get decent, good priced food. Please, these generalizations are a bit mean spirited.
I didn't mean to offend. It's just that where I live is very trendy, and it's just another notch in the elite's social belts to shop there (Maybe I should have said BMW's and Land Rovers). My best friends shop there, and they don't have two nickels to rub together. It's just that they like it. I, on the other hand, couldn't care less about how a store is laid out and what cool flyer they have. Cut open the box, put it on a steel shelf with a price and I'll buy it if I want it. I like Tader Joes for finding unique products, especially if I'm having a party. It just makes it more interesting. I just can't make it an everyday stop.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
I believe one of the reason TJ's is not available around here is that the company, unlike others, is not franchised. All stores are owned and/or operated by the company and, most likely, require a high traffic count or population density within a certain area.

But, like some say, it can't hurt to ask! Best of luck, Peterborough. My wife certainly wouldn't mind one somewhat closer also.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,208 times
I drive a SAAB and I shop almost exclusively at Trader Joe's here in Annapolis. ;-) By doing so I save about 30% on my groceries, thankyouverymuch. I appreciate their focus on local/organic products where possible, and the fresher, healthier, less-processed foods at a much fairer price than my local Safeway. There are some things I can't get at TJs like ziploc bags, foil, etc. -- for that I go to Safeway or Giant. I find my TJ's meat selection to be disappointing, though -- too small, but it is still far less expensive than my Safeway.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Wanna, the TJ's that you've probably read about here is actually in Tyngsboro MA. The parking lot is a stones throw from the Nashua border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
that sounds odd. I'm sure there was an earlier thread that said there were TJs in NH - one already in Nashua, even.

ROTFL Suzet!! snooty rich witches--you are too funny! LOL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
We have a Trader Joes out here, and all of the snooty rich witches shop in it, that is why I dont really ever go there.
bryfry, I do the same thing. Some of my favorite TJ's foods are things that I don't eat every day but great to have for a party. The coconut curry chicken stix, the naan bread, the jalopeno shrimp appetizers are great to whip out of the freezer. For "staple foods" I buy the TJ's carrot juice and green plant juice. Also the Cuban Mojito and Korma simmer sauces, and the "Trader Giotto's" artichoke antipasto is GREAT on homemade pizza! Certainly not everyday food, but fun food for company

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
I didn't mean to offend. It's just that where I live is very trendy, and it's just another notch in the elite's social belts to shop there <snip> I like Tader Joes for finding unique products, especially if I'm having a party. It just makes it more interesting. I just can't make it an everyday stop.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:22 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,398 times
Talking I shop at Trader Joe's ...

I buy many everyday items at TJ's. The frozen veggies are much better than what I can get at the grocery store. Many things are priced better too. Also, they offer products with less perservatives. I'm addicted to the Pico de Gallo right now...I could put that stuff on anything...maybe someday I'll have to make my own. Oh, and the best olives...yep, gotta have those. The tortilla chips...to go with the salsa!! They have samples & free coffee too...nothing like a snack while you're shopping. The best raisins I've ever tasted. I think I'm rambling....I could talk about TJ's forever. Oh I almost forgot...the store in my town has the friendliest cashiers...And they know how to bag groceries in my canvas bags...cold stuff with cold stuff ... heavy stuff not squishing my eggs. They even have a new bag that holds six bottles...wine, soda, water...so easy to carry. ...ok, really I'm gonna stop. Except just gotta say the bacon is awesome too.

So everyday is a party at my house, LOL...

Oh, Oh, Oh...can I be a snooty rich witch? Especially the rich part...then I can have a Saab, Volvo, BMW and a Landrover...all very nice cars...um, wait I'm rich right?... where's my Porsche? Red please

mental note...can only live within 30 miles of Tyngsboro, MA

btw, I'm NOT a 2 buck Chuck kinda gal ...or 3 buck, 4, 5, 6 buck ...however much the going rate is now. OMG, I am snooty?! ROFLMAO

Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooShutterBugg View Post
I buy many everyday items at TJ's. The frozen veggies are much better than what I can get at the grocery store. Many things are priced better too. Also, they offer products with less perservatives. I'm addicted to the Pico de Gallo right now...I could put that stuff on anything...maybe someday I'll have to make my own. Oh, and the best olives...yep, gotta have those. The tortilla chips...to go with the salsa!! They have samples & free coffee too...nothing like a snack while you're shopping. The best raisins I've ever tasted. I think I'm rambling....I could talk about TJ's forever. Oh I almost forgot...the store in my town has the friendliest cashiers...And they know how to bag groceries in my canvas bags...cold stuff with cold stuff ... heavy stuff not squishing my eggs. They even have a new bag that holds six bottles...wine, soda, water...so easy to carry. ...ok, really I'm gonna stop. Except just gotta say the bacon is awesome too.

So everyday is a party at my house, LOL...

Oh, Oh, Oh...can I be a snooty rich witch? Especially the rich part...then I can have a Saab, Volvo, BMW and a Landrover...all very nice cars...um, wait I'm rich right?... where's my Porsche? Red please

mental note...can only live within 30 miles of Tyngsboro, MA

btw, I'm NOT a 2 buck Chuck kinda gal ...or 3 buck, 4, 5, 6 buck ...however much the going rate is now. OMG, I am snooty?! ROFLMAO

Hahaha, too funny Boo. Lol Val, I am glad you liked my name calling. Haha. I wasnt trying to be mean, but living where I do, there are soooo many people just like I described. Lisa will verify that, Lol.

One the other hand, I am hoping to buy a Range Rover, but I am not a rich snob in any way shape or form. I just really love that car. We've had the beemers, the land cruisers, we even had a stupid viper..hubbys car. Right now we have an F-150 and a PT Cruiser. I love the PT, it is so cute, and isnt costing us a fortune in gas. But I will get my Range Rover at some point.

I love the produce that Whole Foods offers. I just like the feeling of the store. Everyone is pretty much laid back and they dress in street clothes. And it always smells so good in there.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:35 PM

117 posts, read 425,063 times
Whole Foods is great - my husband works in Andover MA and does shopping for us there. In CA my shopping "square" was Whole Foods, TJs, local grocery store and farmers market. None of them did it all, but I needed something from each of them (WF only for "on sale" or super hard to find stuff). Whole Foods though, goes in places based on median income. I don't think Peterborough would compute. Besides, there are 4 local food stores here that fill in the Whole Foods gap and would be seriously compromised by it coming here. TJs is definitely a unique place.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:14 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,413 times
Are the Whole Foods in NH on the same price point at TJs? I love WF too, but we hardly ever shop there because most of the stuff is way pricey. Everyone we know calls it Whole Paycheck! Some of their 365 brand is reasonable, as is the bulk food (rice, beans, oats), but the produce and just about everything else is just too expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire