Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,101,871 times

Advertisements

I pretty sure Sugar Hill is where Betty Davis lived when she was in NH. Her neighbors were the Richardsons. It's a very nice little town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM

ayuh - googled it....Betty Davis lived there and even got lost in the woods once according to an article in NH Magazine 2005. Also check out this blog that mentions it. Cow Hampshire :: A Valentine's Day Story: New Hampshire's Bette Davis Connection

Robert Frost also lived there. They stayed at the Butternut Lodge. Your script sounds reasonable enough. There's a place in town called Polly's Pancake Parlor. LOL

Also the Sugar Hill Inn features the Betty Davis room.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 PM

okay - my last post about Sugar HIll...I promise....LOL

Sugar Hill NH - Visit Harmans' Cheddar Cheese and Country Store

John Harmon aged and sold cheddar cheese from his combination store/post office long before the traditional catalogue sales became popular. John is long gone, but the store still bears his name and still sells great cheddar......

Old 05-29-2008, 06:11 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,152,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA View Post
The way the plot is currently structured, my character's little baking business butts heads with a beloved figure in town who owns, you guessed it, a bakery. Course, it all gets worked out in the end when the two decide to join forces. And her ex does come crawling back, but only because he needs her to save his sorry butt (when she left, she sold him her interest in their restaurant/catering business, and the place has gone to pot since she left).

It's for the Hallmark Channel, I have a producer interested, Hallmark is conservative/family oriented, so I'm somewhat limited plot wise on what I can do. Think family, heartwarming, nice.
It sounds like a setting in this area would do quite nicely - after all, the author of _Pollyanna_ was born here in Littleton

Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
ayuh - googled it....Betty Davis lived there and even got lost in the woods once according to an article in NH Magazine 2005. Also check out this blog that mentions it. Cow Hampshire :: A Valentine's Day Story: New Hampshire's Bette Davis Connection

Robert Frost also lived there. They stayed at the Butternut Lodge. Your script sounds reasonable enough. There's a place in town called Polly's Pancake Parlor. LOL

Also the Sugar Hill Inn features the Betty Davis room.
Thanks for this info buck! I knew about Robert Frost, but didn't know about Bette Davis!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 PM

I thought everybody knew about Bette Davis...!!! just goes to show ya'.... when Kim Carnes did her hit "Bette Davis Eyes" it was the topic of discussion for awhile. That plus the fact that she was a chain smoker, yet lived to a ripe old age and thought smoking laws were ridiculous.

Another thing I really love about Sugar Hill is that lupines grow wild there, everywhere. This is about the time of year when the fields are just purple with them. A beautiful flower!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:55 PM

7 posts, read 16,887 times
This is great stuff, thanks! Now I'm gonna work in a reference to Bette Davis. I have that the Mom has bought a farmhouse that used to be a hotel/boarding house back in the day, so I'll put in that Bette stayed there.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 AM

Limama - There's a thread here on the Fields of Lupine Festival - check it out - you might want to throw that into the story as well - it's an annual festival. In The Ammonoosuc Times they have it billed as "Sugar Hill's Open Air Market - Something for Everyone" - This link should take you to the ad:
http://www.whitemtregion.com/ammtimes/May_30_pgs_19-26.pdf (broken link)

Here's the "start" page for the publication - you may be able to find some other things to weave into your story as well:
What's Up NH -- Ammonoosuc Times online edition

Old 06-06-2008, 02:43 PM

7 posts, read 16,887 times
Thanks Dare, great stuff.

I showed the first fifteen pages to the producer, looks like I have to scrap the "divorce" angle and find another way to get her out of the city and into NH.

I'm still confused about the "limited" cell/internet connection, I figure next week to call the town hall in Sugar Hill and ask.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 PM

I'm still confused about the "limited" cell/internet connection

what don't you get? there are pockets when and where the cell phone won't work because there aren't enough towers to pass the signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire