Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM

7 posts, read 16,958 times

Advertisements

I'm setting my new script in Sugar Hill, and would like some more detailed info on the town itself. I used to live in Manchester and Bedford, NH, but that was a long time ago. Hope somebody who lives in the area would be willing to answer my questions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 04:59 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA View Post
I'm setting my new script in Sugar Hill, and would like some more detailed info on the town itself. I used to live in Manchester and Bedford, NH, but that was a long time ago. Hope somebody who lives in the area would be willing to answer my questions.

Hi LIMAMA - I don't think I've seen any regular posters who live in Sugar Hill on the forum. I think there are people who know the area, here though. Why not post your questions and see what happens? I'm in Littleton, about 20 minutes or so from Sugar Hill, but don't know much about it......

Old 05-26-2008, 06:17 PM

Smile Sugar Hill

Yes,I saw on the map that Littleton is close to Sugar Hill. So would that be the next major town or city? Basically my character runs away from the big city after the break up of her marriage and settles in Sugar Hill.

Now on the detailed profile of Sugar Hill, it says that cell phone and internet is "limited". Is it the same in Littleton? Just what does that mean?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
LIMAMA -

Take a ride up there some weekend. Have breakfast in Polly’s Pancake House. Drive out the road in front of the Sunset House hotel/inn. Then you will have pretty much seen Sugar Hill.

I have summered in the neighboring town of Landaff and have relatives living there now. Both of these towns are small farm and residential with increasing numbers of retired folks. These towns have incomparable scenery and a mix of relatively wealthy to poor folks. They are very quiet places. If you character needs to live unnoticed I would have her move into Littleton because it is a larger town with a more flexible population.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:10 AM

LIMAMA - I agree with Greg - if the character needs to be unnoticed, Littleton would be a better choice as the population is higher and it would be easier to 'blend in' and not be an obvious "newbie" to the area. I believe there are more transplants and tourists in this area than in Sugar Hill, but I'm not sure (I've only been here 2 years).

Regarding cell phone coverage and internet - Depending on the cell phone company, you may have pretty decent service or lousy service. I'm not positive, but I think it has to do with where you are in relation to the mountains, valleys, etc. and it also has to do with the age of your phone - I have an older model than my hubby does - he has a better range of coverage than I do. When we travel around, my phone has no service, but his usually does <g>.

With internet, I believe most places do have dial-up service, either thru USADatanet or some of the other dial-up services - sometimes they have a local number to use, sometimes they don't. Some have satellite internet service. In Littleton, there is DSL and cable access available as well as dial-up and satellite (if you have the dish). Littleton also has a couple of WiFi hotspots in town. (Littleton Unwired, Wireless Hot Zones in Littleton, NH for more info on that).

Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 PM

Default Thanks~

However, for plot purposes, Sugar Hill makes more sense for my character (plus, she's a baker, so that name reasonates with her). She has a teenage daughter who resents the move, and the kid hits the roof when she finds out that cell phone service/internet is lousy and/or intermittent.

My character puts all her eggs in one basket, so to speak, opening a business, so if Sugar Hill is that small, it might make more sense for her to open shop in Littleton (or she could try it out of her home, first. Still working on that plot point).

Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA View Post
However, for plot purposes, Sugar Hill makes more sense for my character (plus, she's a baker, so that name reasonates with her). She has a teenage daughter who resents the move, and the kid hits the roof when she finds out that cell phone service/internet is lousy and/or intermittent.

My character puts all her eggs in one basket, so to speak, opening a business, so if Sugar Hill is that small, it might make more sense for her to open shop in Littleton (or she could try it out of her home, first. Still working on that plot point).
I'm not sure what the state requirements are for having a bakery type business out of your home, but she could always start out small from her home in Sugar Hill and once her goodies are well received, she could start selling in Franconia, Lisbon, Landaff, Littleton, etc....you could incorporate a whole bunch of towns around Sugar Hill .... (and have it turn into a Tom Clancy-length novel!)

I'm not sure about a lot of the towns with regards to Farmer's Markets, but I believe Bethlehem would also be close enough as well as Littleton and they both have Farmer's Markets for her to sell her goodies.....as well as the Co-op that's being planned for Littleton....and she can supply the food for the Weathervane Theater in Whitefield.......Heck she can also go on to start her own franchise and rub her success in the ex's face

I know, I'm getting carried away here, I tend to do that frequently.....I'll behave now, I promise.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
My niece and nephew have a catering/farmer's market/bakery business in the Littleton area. They have done fairly well. Check out the bakery/restraunt on Mill St in Littleton for good food and great bread.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
My niece and nephew have a catering/farmer's market/bakery business in the Littleton area. They have done fairly well. Check out the bakery/restraunt on Mill St in Littleton for good food and great bread.
Is that Miller's? We've been there a couple of times - and it is good food and great bread - next time we're in there, I'll be sure to tell them their uncle says hi (If it's Miller's, that is!)

Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Default My Character

The way the plot is currently structured, my character's little baking business butts heads with a beloved figure in town who owns, you guessed it, a bakery. Course, it all gets worked out in the end when the two decide to join forces. And her ex does come crawling back, but only because he needs her to save his sorry butt (when she left, she sold him her interest in their restaurant/catering business, and the place has gone to pot since she left).

It's for the Hallmark Channel, I have a producer interested, Hallmark is conservative/family oriented, so I'm somewhat limited plot wise on what I can do. Think family, heartwarming, nice.

Last edited by LIMAMA; 05-29-2008 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire