Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 AM

21 posts, read 134,596 times

Advertisements

I am currently a part time resident of Plaistow, NH and have been looking for IT jobs (IT Manager / Systems Administrator / Network Administrator) for about a year now. I have had 5 interviews but no offers yet. (Two of the interviews they just wanted free consulting which really annoyed me)

A couple of the recruiters that i've talked to have mentioned it has been dry for IT jobs lately.

Has anyone else noticed this trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM

151 posts, read 817,249 times
I haven't really been looking to closely at the SoNh/Boston market for IT. And I've only lived in So NH for a year now, so I can't tell you the typical places that employ big numbers of IT professionals. I know, given the current economy, I wouldn't want to be looking around right now.

Are you just concentrating on SoNH (Nashua, Manchester, Salem) or are you also looking at Boston as well?

I sent you a (DM) link to the site where I curently work (in IT). I work off 93/exit 3 in Salem.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM

I currently have a job and work close to Boston. (currently renting a cheapo apartment next to Boston) Ultimately I plan to move permanently to New Hampshire with a commute of 45 minutes or less.

At least i'm saving my extra $... i recently paid off all my student loans/car loans. Financially i'm ok for now, just can't afford to buy anything in Boston.

It's not worth it to me to find a new job in/close to Boston because I get excellent benefits/vacation now and I won't get that at a new job. I am willing to take a hit tho if I am able to find a better job in NH.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:39 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Seems like a pretty reasonable volume of jobs. No reason for a seasoned IT pro to be out of work, especially in your line. You will always find something in the Boston outskirts if you can't pick up anything in NH itself.

Fidelity in Merrimack, Liberty Mutual in Portsmouth/Dover have large IT operations centers here, as do the hospitals and universities.

This is a list of the largest employers: America's Career InfoNet: Largest Employers

Check their career sites directly. Many jobs are never advertised in dice or monster.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:23 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
You might also check out BAE Systems (Hudson/Merrimack/Nashua) as they always seem to be hiring. Here's their Job Search page, from which you can select where you want to work, etc:
Job Search — BAE Systems

Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 AM

I'll check out those sites, thanks!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 22,443 times
Lonza is a good company to work for located in the Portsmouth area. In fact pease international tradeport is home to tons of tech companies. Cisco I believe is across the street from Lonza. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM

Just wanted to update. I now have a great full time job in Exeter which pays 20% more than my old job down in Boston! (I think I was underpaid at my old job). Thanks to everyone who replied.

I've been at my new job for over a month now and things are going great, my new coworkers are friendly and my boss is responsive to the IT needs of the company. Also i'm now a permanent resident of New Hampshire!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:50 PM

151 posts, read 817,249 times
That's great! Congrats!!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:01 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Talking Hello BIG ROCK! :0) WOOHOO! :0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRock View Post
Just wanted to update. I now have a great full time job in Exeter which pays 20% more than my old job down in Boston! (I think I was underpaid at my old job). Thanks to everyone who replied.

I've been at my new job for over a month now and things are going great, my new coworkers are friendly and my boss is responsive to the IT needs of the company. Also i'm now a permanent resident of New Hampshire!

CONGRATS!

Best of wishes with your new job!Its nice to read HAPPY NEWS

in theses uncertain timesGOOD LUCK!

Take care!

Countrylv22

Last edited by countrylv22; 10-08-2008 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: PLEASE LETS STOP THE PANIC & FEAR! LETS STAY CALM!:0) PEACE & BLESSINGS!:0) PEACE!:0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire