Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 05:22 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,056,736 times

Advertisements

Whole chapter on elections here. I'm sure somewhere in there it covers large towns and machine voting.

https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa...HTOC-LXIII.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 06:54 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Interesting regarding the columns. Here in MA, candidate names are in alphabetical order with the bubbles in on column. One would have to memorize the list to see how one voted.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:48 AM

351 posts, read 224,820 times
I had no problem with my ballot. I placed it directly into the machine myself as moderator watched.

My concern is who/what does the counting.

Two opposing voices presented:
https://twitter.com/jtackeff/status/1591607164476743680
https://granitegrok.com/blog/2022/11...tion-under-700

Last I checked, the "typo" still existed but the state and WMUR sites no longer have the "by town" tallies at the links I viewed a few days ago.

Old 11-16-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
I had no problem with my ballot. I placed it directly into the machine myself as moderator watched.

My concern is who/what does the counting.

Two opposing voices presented:
https://twitter.com/jtackeff/status/1591607164476743680
https://granitegrok.com/blog/2022/11...tion-under-700

Last I checked, the "typo" still existed but the state and WMUR sites no longer have the "by town" tallies at the links I viewed a few days ago.

My concern is on recounts. If the first count was wrong, what is to say the second count is right? Is there a confirmation count of the recount? Best two out of three? Best four out of five? Overturning on a single recount is a bit much as it is just a rehash of the original and I would hope controls are put in place beyond the state babysitting the count.

I don't really care who wins, I have my preferences of course, but my main concern is we get the count correct.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:36 PM

351 posts, read 224,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
I don't really care who wins, I have my preferences of course, but my main concern is we get the count correct.
This is how I feel, too. As long as a candidate honestly earned each vote, that candidate should win.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:12 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
My concern is on recounts. If the first count was wrong, what is to say the second count is right? Is there a confirmation count of the recount? Best two out of three? Best four out of five? Overturning on a single recount is a bit much as it is just a rehash of the original and I would hope controls are put in place beyond the state babysitting the count.

Here is an article from 2 days ago regarding recounts in NH and the photo at the top shows how it's done. For those that don't like links, here is the photo:

It's pretty transparent IMHO.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:03 PM

Let's just paint me as skeptical of our recount procedures.

One of the races that was recounted already and overturned is going back for a recount of the recount. Any ideas why-yeah, they didn't recount all the ballots.

*to avoid getting lost below this article, there does appear to be a reconciliation procedure at the end of a recount. Hey we had 1000 total ballots on election day, why do we only have 975 on the recount. I'm not bored enough to look up the laws this week.

https://nhjournal.com/scanlan-reopen...-to-hold-seat/

On Monday, Democratic hopes of winning control of the House of Representatives were boosted when a recount of Hillsborough District 16, Manchester’s Ward 6, appeared to show incumbent Republican Larry Gagne lost 22 votes, handing a one-vote victory to challenger Maxine Mosley.

Almost immediately, however, Republicans suspected an error had occurred. Vote changes of more than a handful of ballots are rare. Rarer still are candidates losing votes in a recount. Scanlan, a veteran of many recounts, also took note of the unusual numbers. “It’s unusual if it changes by more than 10 or 11 votes,” he told NHJournal.

Thanks to an audit of the district, it became clear that some 20 to 25 ballots were missed during Monday’s recount, bringing into question the results. Scanlan released a letter Thursday explaining the situation.
“Ballot counting will be continued in Hillsborough County state representative District 16 recount. The routine reconciliation process indicated that reconciliation and recount number were not equivalent,” the statement read. “The total number of ballots cast and counted for the office of governor in this district is greater than the total accounted for so far for the [Gagne v. Mosley] race. This indicates some ballots have not yet been counted in the recount.

“As a result, the process of recounting the ballots cast in that race will now continue on Monday, November 21, at 4 p.m.”

**yes, know NHJournal, just like InDepthNH, are extremely partisan sources. I tend to pull articles from each though.

Old 11-17-2022, 05:57 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,736,019 times
Quote:
Let's just paint me as skeptical of our recount procedures.

One of the races that was recounted already and overturned is going back for a recount of the recount. Any ideas why-yeah, they didn't recount all the ballots.

*to avoid getting lost below this article, there does appear to be a reconciliation procedure at the end of a recount. Hey we had 1000 total ballots on election day, why do we only have 975 on the recount. I'm not bored enough to look up the laws this week.

https://nhjournal.com/scanlan-reopen...-to-hold-seat/

On Monday, Democratic hopes of winning control of the House of Representatives were boosted when a recount of Hillsborough District 16, Manchester’s Ward 6, appeared to show incumbent Republican Larry Gagne lost 22 votes, handing a one-vote victory to challenger Maxine Mosley.

Almost immediately, however, Republicans suspected an error had occurred. Vote changes of more than a handful of ballots are rare. Rarer still are candidates losing votes in a recount. Scanlan, a veteran of many recounts, also took note of the unusual numbers. “It’s unusual if it changes by more than 10 or 11 votes,” he told NHJournal.

Thanks to an audit of the district, it became clear that some 20 to 25 ballots were missed during Monday’s recount, bringing into question the results. Scanlan released a letter Thursday explaining the situation.
“Ballot counting will be continued in Hillsborough County state representative District 16 recount. The routine reconciliation process indicated that reconciliation and recount number were not equivalent,” the statement read. “The total number of ballots cast and counted for the office of governor in this district is greater than the total accounted for so far for the [Gagne v. Mosley] race. This indicates some ballots have not yet been counted in the recount.

“As a result, the process of recounting the ballots cast in that race will now continue on Monday, November 21, at 4 p.m.”

**yes, know NHJournal, just like InDepthNH, are extremely partisan sources. I tend to pull articles from each though.

Either massive incompetence, or massive theft. Scanlan is correct...you don't get that kind of number shift in recounts in small NH races.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:14 PM

and of course, we're trying to stop the recount(or continuing to recount) of the recount.

https://nhjournal.com/breaking-dems-...er-house-race/

Less than 24 hours after New Hampshire Secretary of State David Scanlan announced plans to continue the recount in the Manchester Ward 6 House race, a prominent Democratic attorney announced he intended to ask a judge to block it.

In an email to the Merrimack Superior Court Friday morning, William E. Christie, a partner with Shaheen & Gordon, P.A. wrote, “I am writing you [sic] inform you that on behalf of an interested party, I likely will be filing an emergency petition and expedited request for TRO and Preliminary injunction later this afternoon. The matter involves the recounting of votes scheduled for Monday, November 21, 2022 at 4 PM.

“Accordingly, we will be requesting a hearing on the TRO and Preliminary Injunction to take place before 4 PM on November 21, 2022.”

Old 11-18-2022, 04:48 PM

and now a recount in Brentwood is getting questioned as both the original vote and the recount didn't count 27 ballots.

https://www.seacoastonline.com/story...d/69658271007/

BRENTWOOD — Twenty-seven unopened absentee ballots could tilt an election in Brentwood, where a New Hampshire House of Representatives race was decided Monday by just 15 votes.

A recount held in Concord initially confirmed Democrat Eric Turer’s win with 1,213 votes for the Rockingham County state House District 6 seat, beating Republican incumbent state Rep. Melissa Litchfield’s 1,198 votes. An examination of voting material by the secretary of state, however, revealed the 27 absentee ballots that were never opened or counted.
The result, when it's sorted out, could have an impact which party holds the majority in the House, which Republicans hold by a razor-thin margin.

“Because these 27 ballots have the potential to change the outcome of this race, the Ballot Law Commission will be requested to order that these ballots be counted,” according to a statement from Secretary of State David Scanlan on Thursday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire