U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,676,010 times
Talking Fall Vacation

Hey all, I have been busy planning our forth coming trip in Oct. I found this pretty Inn to stay at in NH. Can anyone tell me about it? The name is Chesterfield Inn. I was searching last night for places to stay, and this one caught my eye. Its not even in Keene. LOL. Go figure. So anyway I reseved a room for us.

However if anyone has another place they enjoyed staying at please let me know. I will check it out. We are going to be staying in the Southern portion of the state, and then from there we are going up to Salem,MA and then down to Boston. Our trip will cover; Albany, as this is where the Amtrak comes in, and then to Bennington,VT for a few days, then to NH for 2 days, then off to MA for 2 days, then back home. It should be fun. I swear, if it doesnt happen this time, I am getting a divorce or leaving him behind!! Hahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:02 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,834,682 times
So glad that you are planning your trip to NH. I really hope that you and your family make it this time. I cannot remember exactly when in October you are coming but the foliage should be nice for most of the month. You will not be in on Pumpkin Festival weekend are you? I would imagine all rooms would probably be booked already.

While I have never stayed at the Chesterfied Inn- I think it would be a nice location for you. It certainly looks very nice. It is not a very far drive from Keene or Brattleboro. With the foliage- I think it would be nice to stay in Chesterfield which is much less built up than Keene. Then drive to where you need to explore but at the end of the day you can come back to a nice inn in an area that is very pretty.

I hope it works out this time

Nicolem

Old 06-01-2008, 01:53 PM

163 posts, read 143,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hey all, I have been busy planning our forth coming trip in Oct. I found this pretty Inn to stay at in NH. Can anyone tell me about it? The name is Chesterfield Inn. I was searching last night for places to stay, and this one caught my eye. Its not even in Keene. LOL. Go figure. So anyway I reseved a room for us.

However if anyone has another place they enjoyed staying at please let me know. I will check it out. We are going to be staying in the Southern portion of the state, and then from there we are going up to Salem,MA and then down to Boston. Our trip will cover; Albany, as this is where the Amtrak comes in, and then to Bennington,VT for a few days, then to NH for 2 days, then off to MA for 2 days, then back home. It should be fun. I swear, if it doesnt happen this time, I am getting a divorce or leaving him behind!! Hahaha.

Suzet, Chesterfield Inn is an excellent choice, is well connected to highways (20 mins to Keene, 10 mins from I-91 near Bratt). The rooms hasvegrt views of the VT mountains. I stayed there when I came to interview with my employer back in 2001, Since we live in Surry, (used to live in Keene till last year), we don't get a chance to stay there anymore, do head there for dinner, food is grt.

Couple other very nice options in the area, though a lil bit more remote are
1) Greenfield Inn (Bed and Breakfast Inn Hotel Greenfield New Hampshire) - around 30 min from Keene, haven't personally stayed there, but have heard very good things

2) The Grand View Inn (The Grand View Inn and Resort - Jaffrey,New Hampshire (http://www.thegrandviewinn.com/ - broken link)) - in Jaffrey, around 30 mins from Keene, close to Peterborough & Nashua. We had our holiday party here last year, very nice dining room.

3) Four Columns Inn (Southern Vermont Bed and Breakfast Four Columns Inn, A Vermont Luxury Inn in Newfane, VT Enjoy a Vermont Romantic Getaway at this Southern Vermont Inn) - we have stayed here once was great. the restaurant is rated a AAA 4 diamond, inspite of that the staff didn't have any attitude. Also close to Bennington, which you mentioned you would be visiting

Hope tht helps

V

Old 06-01-2008, 07:01 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,887,359 times
Quote:
Hey all, I have been busy planning our forth coming trip in Oct. [snipped]
We are going to be staying in the Southern portion of the state, and then from there we are going up to Salem,MA and then down to Boston. Our trip will cover; Albany, as this is where the Amtrak comes in, and then to Bennington,VT for a few days, then to NH for 2 days, then off to MA for 2 days, then back home. It should be fun. I swear, if it doesnt happen this time, I am getting a divorce or leaving him behind!! Hahaha.
Oct in New England is a lovely time! The air starts to get nice and crisp ('starts' depends on which end of Oct you're in!) and the colors are gorgeous! mind you, there are also lots of other people enjoying it too...

if hubby becomes a problem, just leave him behind and go anyway. Sometimes separate vacations can be great (you don't have to worry about whether he's having a good time or being grumpy!). Glad you're going to try again!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:19 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,250,251 times
A tip for your stay in Bennington - if you have the time, you should make the drive north up route 7A to the Mount Equinox Skyline Drive. It's not nearly as well-known as the Mt. Washington Auto Road, but the views of the Green Mountains are absolutely spectacular. Even the drive up 7A is wonderful.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:01 AM

2,489 posts, read 5,382,430 times
Quote:

Suzet - Where will you be staying in Albany? I don't know anything about the Chesterfield Inn, but in Albany there was a hotel that was called the Desmond that I always loved ... I haven't been there in years....

As for this time around - if hubby starts to kick up a fuss, leave him in California and come visit on your own - might be the best thing in the world for you!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:10 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,872,329 times
Suzet0 you are very smart to plan ahead for a fall trip to New England. You should book your accommodations NOW and if you have to cancel later, you can. It's not a good idea to wing-it for accommodations when it comes to travelling here in the fall (well, in Vermont anyway).
Have fun planning!!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,943,532 times
oooh, good for you, Suzet! Fall is my favorite time here, and I think you will appreciate it too. Vermont is really beautiful also. Are you going to Salem, MA for Halloween?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,645,169 times
Suzet, that's fantastic that you're going to come on out to New England this fall!! You mentioned wanting to get to Salem MA, and if you're planning on being here in the latter part of the month, I would suggest making reservations early. Salem is hugely popular in October (for obvious reasons). I look forward to hearing more about your trip, dates, etc

And I agree with Dare--if your husband gives you any bunk about why he can't go this year, you just jump right on that train and bring along a camera! If my 70+ year old Mom can get on a train and go from Massachusetts to California, then back again, you can too In other words, we'd better see you here in October!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:33 AM

951 posts, read 463,279 times
Chesterfield is a sleepy little farm town, very quiant. The Conneticut River Valley is beautiful. We started our NH search right in Chesterfield 2 years ago. Just a hop, skip and a jump to Keene. I do hope you have fun planning the trip. NH is spectacular in the fall. I try to get up there at least once every Fall. You'll have a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire