Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 30,865 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my friend and I like to go out in a small SUV and just go off the road sometimes; lately we've just been playing in my backyard where we have paths in the woods but it's getting boring. Now, we don't want to go do anything illegal so if anyone has any suggestions for some fun off road trails that could fit an SUV we would really appreciate it - we usually only have time to do it at night after work, so preferably something that doesn't have gates closing at a certain time. Hillsborough county area -- thank you!!

Last edited by 07mackenzie; 06-01-2008 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:53 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07mackenzie View Post
Hi everyone, my friend and I like to go out in a small SUV and just go off the road sometimes; lately we've just been playing in my backyard where we have paths in the woods but it's getting boring. Now, we don't want to go do anything illegal so if anyone has any suggestions for some fun off road trails that could fit an SUV we would really appreciate it - we usually only have time to do it at night after work, so preferably something that doesn't have gates closing at a certain time. Hillsborough county area -- thank you!!
You almost certainly will need to join a club. The state and towns just don't maintain public land for people to tearing up with SUVs. There are some public ATV trails, but trucks will not be allowed (too many morons from Mass who think owning a Hummer entitles them to drive 75mph on forestry roads and beaches).

Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
mackenzie, I also recommend joining a club. There used to be sandpits in many communities in southern NH and northern MA where we went mudding and off-roading--many of these now are housing developments, as are most of the trails that I spent hours of my youth exploring

New England 4 Wheelers has a board that you might join: New England 4 Wheelers Inc. (Powered by Invision Power Board)

And another: Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs (http://www.nea4wd.org/assoc_info/index.cfm?fact=detail&assoc_info_id=1&topic_id=45 - broken link)

Also Yankee Toys

By joining a club, you can take part in maintaining trails for everyone's enjoyment, promoting responsible ridership, etc.

Good luck

Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 26,150 times
Default mudding hillsborough county

I do a bit of off-roading in the area. Going towards Merrimack on Continental Blvd. When you get to DW highway go straight thru lights,at end take left go about 100 ft and sharp right on dirt under railroad bridge. Go forward and then to left on dirt , follow straight to large dirt pile then right. There are some trails and mud holes along the river that will give you some fun. Also the power lines behind hampshire hills athletic in Milford but be careful it gets kinda rugged and then the powerlines behind Ladds country store on rt31 in Brookline and then again it gets rough in there. Have fun

Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,077 times
Check whatever town your in for class 6 roads, if your town has a web based gis system they should be listed on there. Those are unmaintained roads that your allowed to drive on at your own risk.

Also check out this website, they have a good data base of legal trails but you need to go to one of their meet-ups to access it.

ExploringNH

Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
Class VI roads are a good suggestion but please remember that they are also used as forestry access to abutting landowners who may have invested in their upkeep. Please be respectful. Also, please stay off of all private lands and truck roads unless you gain specific permission.

My clients spend thousands of dollars on truck roads and I am constantly having to chase off yahoos in 4wd trucks who think we made the roads just for them to turn in to mud bogs.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:09 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
The Class 6 roads are one suggestion.
But be warned each road has a speed limit and that speed limit is usually 30MPH or LESS.
Regular family tourists with children and other locals do use these Class 6 roads. Some are on hills with poor visibilty ahead. Many are single lane.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default offroading

I suggest checking with the State DMV or fish & game dept and the White Mountain National Forrest.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,444,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
Class VI roads are a good suggestion but please remember that they are also used as forestry access to abutting landowners who may have invested in their upkeep. Please be respectful. Also, please stay off of all private lands and truck roads unless you gain specific permission.

My clients spend thousands of dollars on truck roads and I am constantly having to chase off yahoos in 4wd trucks who think we made the roads just for them to turn in to mud bogs.
You got that right.... when I was in NH, (on a Class 6 road), I routinely had to chase yahoos off the property (the person who leases it does it now). Posted "No Trespassing" signs, yet 20-somethings thought it was ok to take refrigerators up into the woods, (on my land), and fill them full or rifle and shotgun holes. Even though I was fully armed, the police just said "call us".

Look here: http://www.nh.gov/oep/resourcelibrar...cfactsheet.pdf

Quote: " Please be respectful", at least when I was there, was becoming more and more a rarity.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM

477 posts, read 899,609 times
Supersparkle, thank you for that fact sheet. That will come in handy for landowner information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire