U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 8,251 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I lived in chester for 12 yrs. I commute to Andover, MA. Even though the gas prices are high, I am looking for the best possible deal on a small home (like a ranch or a cape), lower property taxes ($4K a year or less), a good elementary/high school for my 8 yr old, low crime, the "country life" quality living on a 1/2 to 1 acre of land. My folks live in Berwick, ME and work in Northwood, NH. Can y'all help me find a place to buy? I like the prices and the pace in Epsom but not familiar with the school or the town too much. I want a good re-sale value in the home. I'm hopeful to find one I can flip for a profit after we're done living in it. Nottingham seems a nice option too. Chester/Derry/Londonderry etc are too tax rich for me and not as "country" setting as I'd like. I don't plan to raise any farm animals. I just want a quiet rural setting to raise my son where I don't worry so much about him playing in the yard/neighborhood. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 05:53 PM

951 posts, read 1,135,249 times
New London may fit the bill. Taxes are very reasonable for NH standards and it's very pretty all around there. Close to Sunapee Lake is a bonus. Kearsarge School system seems to be a decent one. Hope it helps...good luck.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 PM

4,475 posts, read 11,106,966 times
CountryGirl, are you looking to continue the commute to Andover, or will you be changing jobs? To stay somewhat closer to the border, Candia might be worth looking into, would you consider Northwood where your folks work? Coe-Brown Academy has a good reputation, and great that it's right in town. I like Nottingham alot, but people I know there complain about the long bus ride for HS students (to Dover). It's fine if you and your child would chose to do that (like in Northwood, the people who chose a vocational school can attend Dover, Somersworth or Creteau in Rochester) In any case, it sounds like you'd be open to towns on the north side of 101 vs. the south side. Except for the Oyster River district, prices and taxes are bearable

If you would be deciding to relocate the job, I would suggest somewhere in the Concord area (Bow, Hopkinton, etc). Some really nice towns, with a slower pace of life.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:57 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,461,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
CountryGirl, are you looking to continue the commute to Andover, or will you be changing jobs? To stay somewhat closer to the border, Candia might be worth looking into, would you consider Northwood where your folks work? Coe-Brown Academy has a good reputation, and great that it's right in town. I like Nottingham alot, but people I know there complain about the long bus ride for HS students (to Dover). It's fine if you and your child would chose to do that (like in Northwood, the people who chose a vocational school can attend Dover, Somersworth or Creteau in Rochester) In any case, it sounds like you'd be open to towns on the north side of 101 vs. the south side. Except for the Oyster River district, prices and taxes are bearable

If you would be deciding to relocate the job, I would suggest somewhere in the Concord area (Bow, Hopkinton, etc). Some really nice towns, with a slower pace of life.
Is CoungryGirl65 a cousin or relative of our Countrylv22!!

Actually Valerie, I may have a relative that could use your RE services, as they have one primary residence with significant equity, which means they bought it way before the Gold Spikes.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 PM

4,475 posts, read 11,106,966 times
Default Thank you Comet :)

Thank you Comet--a recommendation or referral from anyone here means alot to me, and I very much appreciate you even considering referring me to somebody in your family .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Is CoungryGirl65 a cousin or relative of our Countrylv22!!

Actually Valerie, I may have a relative that could use your RE services, as they have one primary residence with significant equity, which means they bought it way before the Gold Spikes.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Thank you!

Thanks to all of you for these great suggestions. Nope, I don't plan to re-locate the job. Despite the price of gas I have a great job so I'm willing to extend the commute for the laid back life style. I met with the guidance counselor in Epsom and think that town and school will fit the bill great. Although I have not considered New London. I'll have to look into that also. Epsom goes up to 8th grade and then kids attend at Pembroke Academy which does seem to have a good academic program.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 AM

371 posts, read 932,962 times
The commute from New London to Andover will either put you in the poor house or the nut house.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 AM

New London is really beautiful, but much too far from the rest of my life as things stand today. So I agree. More likely the poor house. I don't ever intend to live in the nut house :O)

Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 8,832,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYGIRL65 View Post
New London is really beautiful, but much too far from the rest of my life as things stand today. So I agree. More likely the poor house. I don't ever intend to live in the nut house :O)
I dunno.... you're here aren't you? some days when Dare, Country and JF get going it kinda seems like a nut house!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:01 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,970,022 times
Here ya go......

Last edited by DareToDream; 02-07-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire