Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times

Advertisements

There's been a number of ads on tv lately about 'clean coal' - so that must be what they're talking about! I don't pay too much attention to ads, and figured they were trying to pass something by folks that didn't learn about coal use back in 1800s.. So there really is a clean coal? fascinating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 05:20 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
There's been a number of ads on tv lately about 'clean coal' - so that must be what they're talking about! I don't pay too much attention to ads, and figured they were trying to pass something by folks that didn't learn about coal use back in 1800s.. So there really is a clean coal? fascinating!
Also Coal Gasification is a promising process. We have more Coal than we know what to do with in this country!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Clean coal is an oxymoron. There ain't no such thing. If burning coal does not foul the air it fouls the land and the water. These adds are pure BS.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:37 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,636 times
Default Clean Coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Clean coal is an oxymoron. There ain't no such thing. If burning coal does not foul the air it fouls the land and the water. These adds are pure BS.
The word "Clean" is very subjective, as a Clean house for one person could actually be a dump for another. Just as the term "Going Green" for many is an absurd descriptive.

But with regards to the term "Clean Coal" it is IMHO a proper descriptive as it compares to how Coal was being processed and used say 30 years ago. Now today more refined Coal technologies are being implemented not only because they are clean but more so because they are more efficient like Coal gasification and Syngas technology. Actually during WWII the Germans used Coal to make gasoline and now this tech is even being refined more to compete with crude oil. Coal in our country today generates more than 50% of our total electrical grid.

Burning Anthracite coal is much cleaner than burning Bituminous Coal. Some Coal Stoker Stoves even have Catalytic Converters on them which then significantly cut the Carbon Monoxide and Sulfur Emissions. If you are really obsessive about your Stoves Emissions you can even get a catalytic converter for your wood stove. I personally think it would be major overkill.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:20 AM

179 posts, read 436,047 times
I used to live on a mountain in NM and we used a pellet stove to heat the whole house. We never turned on the heat, and after the house initially warmed up, we could keep it going on low to maintain the temp. As far as the blower, we just bought a small generator and hooked it up in case the electric went out.

We just bought a house in Weare, and the owner there said he only used 100 gal of oil to heat the basement so the pipes didn't freeze and the pellet stove heated the house. The house was built in 1764 and doesn't have heat on the second floor anyway, but the pellet stove kept it warm. I guess we'll see if what he said is true, but with my previous experience with the stoves, I think it's probably true.

I never thought about hooking it into the ductwork. Does that actually work?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiej63 View Post
We just bought a house in Weare....
Welcome to Weare, debbiej63

Old 06-29-2008, 06:51 AM

179 posts, read 436,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
Welcome to Weare, debbiej63
Thanks! We close on Monday the 30th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire