Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 03:11 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,878 times

Advertisements

My SIL visited Concord a while back and she said it's a lot like her town in PA. There's a town center, a lot of things within walking distance. That's a huge plus in our minds. I'm assuming it's still within commuting distance to Manchester.

Does anyone know how the schools in Concord compare to Bow and Bedford? Also, any other significant differences between these towns? I know Concord gets suggested on these boards, but I can't remember why. Thanks!

ETA: just did a quick comparison on greatschools, and Concord falls well below Bedford, Bow, and in some cases Londonderry as well. This is just based on test scores, but is there any truth to these numbers?

BTW, I did a search on Concord and read all the threads with Concord in the subject line.

Last edited by maestramommy; 06-15-2008 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 04:30 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
I grew up in Bedford and was in school there from pre-school through 3rd grade. Though I am comparing it to a Georgia school district, I will say that when I started 4th grade in Fayette County GA, they were teaching stuff I learned in 2nd grade in Bedford. I would say Bedford is a pretty top notch school system.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
"ETA: just did a quick comparison on greatschools, and Concord falls well below Bedford, Bow, and in some cases Londonderry as well. This is just based on test scores, but is there any truth to these numbers?"

every town ranks their schools with different methods. It's easy to skew numbers. I have found, that for the most part, all the schools are equal in education statewide.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 AM

The law requires that the NH Department of Education rank order the school communities in terms of performance on the statewide NECAP (New England Common Assessment Program) tests.

while some schools may teach perfectly to the test, it does not exactly mean those kids are getting a better education than kids in another district.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 AM

some schools are dropping their ranking systems altogether, for they agree the number system is not fair.

May 26, 2008 HOPKINTON, N.H.—A New Hampshire high school is looking to drop rankings from students' transcripts, saying it might be more of a problem than a help for students trying to get into college.

At Hopkinton High School, which typically graduates small classes between 70 and 100 students, a grade point average of 88 and a rank of 32 could be a disadvantage for someone applying to a top school, Principal Steve Chamberlin said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2008/05/26/nh_high_school_ (broken link)
may_do_away_with_rankings/

Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 AM

909 posts, read 3,363,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
The law requires that the NH Department of Education rank order the school communities in terms of performance on the statewide NECAP (New England Common Assessment Program) tests.

while some schools may teach perfectly to the test, it does not exactly mean those kids are getting a better education than kids in another
district.

I wondered about the NECAP. Is it a new exam? The reason I ask, some of the top districts like Bedford and Bow had pretty dismal scores (33% showed competence or higher) until you looked the state average, 28% It made me wonder what kind of test this is.

Buck, the link to news article isn't working, sorry!

We have a booklet of state by state report cards put out by the U.S Chamber of Commerce. I think I got the link here. Anyway, it gives NH an A for achievement, but an F for rigor of curriculum standards, meaning not that the standards aren't high enough, but that they're not spelled out rigorously enough. It took a while for me to understand what they really meant by that. I guess in their opinion NH's students are learning very well, but the official standards are not systematic or clearly defined enough.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 AM

sorry about the link - it appears to have split in half

try this:

NH high school may do away with rankings - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2008/05/26/nh_high_school_may_do_away_with_rankings/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire