Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:42 AM

7 posts, read 33,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Yeah, that's why I asked. I didn't see any mention of high speed cable availability in Manchester. Plus I didn't feel like reading through all that at the time.

I have Comcast now and it is a joke. I hate it because it is so expensive and they rip you off, especially on cable. They start out at an OK price, but then they gradually jack it up to insane levels. I actually think I'm still paying for MLB extra innings when I don't even have it.. I'm paying $80 a month just for expanded basic cable, no HBO or nothin. It started out as $30 a month with everything, including HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc. And I can't get direct TV, because they don't allow dishes where I live. Comcast is the only thing they have for cable internet. It's a damn monopoly over here in PA. Do you guys have any more Cable Internet providers. What exactly is FIOS? I thought you guys would have AOL Time Warner but I guess not. I was happy with them when I had it. But Comcast is ripping me off. I'm not too fond of Verizon either.

My whole Comcast bill is like $120 a month. And their customer service sucks too!
What is Verizon FiOS?
Verizon FiOS TV was made available in Keller, Texas on September 22, 2005. FiOS TV is provided over a fiber to the premises (FTTP) network, which according to Bob Ingalls, president of Verizon's Retail Markets Group, allows the "speed and capacity of broadband with the power of broadcast to create a revolutionary, new entertainment experience."

Some things to expect with FiOS TV according to Verizon include a fiber optic network, extensive video on demand, extra HDTV channels, quality picture and sound, premium channels and international channels. The FiOS TV network allows Verizon to compete with cable provider's "triple play" offers, which usually includes digital cable, digital phone and cable high-speed Internet.

A large amount of buzz has surrounded the Verizon FiOS TV roll out, since consumers and legislators alike hope that Verizon's TV offerings, as well as TV options from other telephone providers, may drive down prices for cable consumers as well as those who choose to subscribe to TV services provided by the telephone providers. And the buzz seems to be justified. According to a survey conducted recently by a new consumer group, prices have lowered in Texas after the roll out of Verizon FiOS TV.

In a synopsis of their study, the American Consumer Institute writes that their findings indicate "that consumers in the survey area were saving millions of dollars due to competition. If benefits could be replicated across the U.S., this study finds that consumers would receive $23 billion in benefits per year, or approximately $19 per month per household." You can find out more about the study by reading the article>Consumer group: Video competition working in Texas.

The FiOS network is growing at an amazing rate and is currently available in several states. Although FiOS TV is not available nationwide yet, Verizon's CFO Doreen Toben said in February that the FiOS roll out is going well and the customer take rates for FiOS are "well on plan." She made these comments at an investor conference in Florida, saying that deployment costs are actually declining.
To see if you can get this survise, clich this verizon link: http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/fios/root/package.asp (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 AM

Cool For internet high speed providers in N.H.

Some parts of N.H.(southern mostly) Verizon Fios http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/fios/root/package.asp (broken link)
Some parts of N.H. there is Comcast. Comcast Home
some parts of N.H. there is Metrocast cable vision. They run about the same price as Comcast along with the same service plans. MetroCast - Digital Cable + High Speed Internet + Digital Phone
Some parts of N.H. there is Verizon DSL with two speeds to choose from.Download 1.5 Upload 556k. Or Download 3.0Mb Upload 786k.
Verizon - Broadband (http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Broadband/ - broken link)
Or GWI Dsl. With alot more speeds to choose from. GWI Residential Services

Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Do the towns of Bethlehem, Whitefield, or Lancaster have DSL or high speed internet? I know that Littleton does but I am not sure about those smaller towns north of the notch. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
I hoe this helps NH Maps (broken link)

Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 AM

Cool Verizon vs Fairpoint

Please don`t let Fairpoint in the NNE.
Stop the Sale |
Verizon Versus Fairpoint home
Just Say NO to Fairpoint! (broken link)
End the Digital Divide with High Speed Internet - Speed Matters

Old 06-06-2007, 09:23 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,019 times
Smile Verizon & Fairpoint

I guess it's already a done deal with Fairpoint coming in. It's SUCH a shame, you're right! I don't know WHY these corporations won't knock it off. All they care about is the almighty dollar forget the consumer now. As long as the CEO's are lining their pockets good they're happy as a lark.

I don't have FIOS in my town yet. I'm going to just stay with DSL for now; it's reliable, quick and fine with me, until the FIREWORKS start when Verizon changes hands. If I see ONE screw up, it's OVER with this new company coming in...they better start with answering ALL their phone calls they're going to get if they foul this merger up!!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Post Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc03842 View Post
So a town like Lancaster that has a DSL office would have good high speed internet for the residents in the town? Thanks

Old 06-09-2007, 08:24 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
Quote:
Wow! what a great map. Where did you find the original town map? The only place I've seen a map like this that showed all the town boundaries and labeled them, was a Lion's Club map and it's been off-line for a long time now. A map like that is great for people trying to figure out what towns are in the area they're looking at. I've been stuck using some small, regional maps but they are a pain.

On the topic side: it's a wonderful job you're doing. I'm bummed that my town is blank, but then I've got 7 years to hope it changes to something useful.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:32 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
Hi,

I'm looking at the Merrimack and Seacoast regions for relocation, and one thing I must have is high speed internet access at the house (my wife telecommutes and I do alot of computer work). I read in some other thread about Verizon not bringing in fiber to NH (bummer because I have that now), but what about cable and DSL access?

Can residents in these areas shed some light on what type of high speed options they have, and if so, what are the speeds (downlink and uplink if you know them). If you give me company names I can look them up for the particular areas I will be investigating.

This would be much appreciated.
I lived in both Dover and Seabrook NH and I always had high speed. I used comcast...
Hope this helps

Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
Funny stuff! I appreciate the info from everyone and look forward to our relo.

On a side note, I grew up in Rochester NY. I thought the only other Rochester was in Michigan. Guess I was wrong...

Thanks a heap!
I lived in Rochester NY too...and there is also a Rochester NH....Add it to your list lol....
Take Care
Lisa

Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,474,647 times
Quote:
Please don`t let Fairpoint in the NNE.
Stop the Sale |
Verizon Versus Fairpoint home
Just Say NO to Fairpoint! (broken link)
End the Digital Divide with High Speed Internet - Speed Matters
Great link with maps even. I didn't know the town I live in was one of the only ones with DSL in My area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire