U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:01 PM

27 posts, read 111,300 times
Default Broadband/High Speed Internet access?

Hi,

I'm looking at the Merrimack and Seacoast regions for relocation, and one thing I must have is high speed internet access at the house (my wife telecommutes and I do alot of computer work). I read in some other thread about Verizon not bringing in fiber to NH (bummer because I have that now), but what about cable and DSL access?

Can residents in these areas shed some light on what type of high speed options they have, and if so, what are the speeds (downlink and uplink if you know them). If you give me company names I can look them up for the particular areas I will be investigating.

This would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 01:20 PM

2,489 posts, read 5,235,430 times
Hi,

Check out Time-Warner communications - We're in Littleton and that is where we get our cable internet service (used to be adelphia) and if we get that up here, I'm sure the more populated areas also have it When we first moved here, we were told there were places in the town that had Verizon DSL, but we were too far out. We also had the option of going with a dish/satellite connection (Direct TV/Hughes, I think it was) - again, if we had those options available up here, I'm sure the more populated areas probably also have it...hope this helps!

Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 PM

203 posts, read 617,683 times
I live in Exeter and recently upgraded my internet connection to Verizon's FiOS (fiber optics). I am very happy with the speed and have had no problems with it. I highly recommend it.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:57 PM

82 posts, read 271,779 times
I live in Londonderry and subscribe to Adelphia High Speed Internet. It will soon be Comcast though as a result of the recent by-out. Just recently Verizon has become available both high speed and DSL. I believe most of southern NH has access to cable over the interent, no problem. Adeplhia/Comcast offers speeds up to 15mg for additional cost if you are interested. Typically, I get between 3-5mg D/L speeds and theservice is pretty dependable.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 PM

This is all very good news. Glad to see that you can sneak technology into your wonderful scenery!

Thanks and I'll check out the websites of those companies to verify the availability before I make any decisions.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:56 PM

625 posts, read 1,698,490 times
Innerweb? Internoot? Whut's that? We don't get no fancy 'lectronical stuff up here in Cow Hampshire, boy!

(kidding--sort of)

Got Metrocast in Rochester. Doesn't seem to be a problem. In fact, just ran a speed test on CNET's bandwidth tester and came up with over 3100 Kbps (IOW, faster than a full T-1 connection). But I'd suspect true speed is closer to 2000 Kbps--still not bad (means I could download a 20 MB file in about a minute and a half).

Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Innerweb? Internoot? Whut's that? We don't get no fancy 'lectronical stuff up here in Cow Hampshire, boy!

(kidding--sort of)
Funny stuff! I appreciate the info from everyone and look forward to our relo.

On a side note, I grew up in Rochester NY. I thought the only other Rochester was in Michigan. Guess I was wrong...

Thanks a heap!

Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 16,563 times
I live in Merrimack,NH and Comcast has taken over from Adelphia. The cable telecommunications is very reliable and you can expect about 300 Kbytes/sec depending on your location. Cost is about $120/month with HBO, and a couple hundred channels and Video on Demand. No fiber yet around here.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,218 times
I am in Littleton, Time Warner (defunct Adelphia) has not proven reliable. My connection has been unstable for several weeks, live tech support by phone essentially consists in putting you on hold for over 25 min and then transfering you to some other guy, who again puts you on hold (I gave up after 3 attempts).

Old 01-30-2007, 08:04 PM

2,489 posts, read 5,235,430 times
Default Jude1

Are you right in the town? We're outside of the town proper and have had no problems at all.....just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire