Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:06 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Well, they're off! All 3 groups of our Marching Lancers have departed New Hampshire, and are now on their journey to Beijing, China. The logistics are amazing--254 students, plus their uniforms, instruments & equipment, along with dozens of chaperones & parent "followers" departed the high school parking lot at 3:30 PM yesterday, midnight today and 6:30 AM today. The first airplane has already departed, the 2nd may well be off the ground at this time (schedule to takeoff at 10:30 AM) and the 3rd will be departing later this afternoon. As a parent of one of the travelers, I'm alternating between excitement and nervousness, so I can just imagine how these high school students feel.

We know that they'll do a fantastic job representing the town of Londonderry, the state of New Hampshire and the United States of America!

If anyone is interested, here are some of the links telling the story:

Home - Londonderry NH Friends of Music - FOM - Home of the Londonderry

High School Marching Lancers

www.lancermusicnotes.org

Londonderry NH net » Londonderry Hometown Online News

UnionLeader.com - New Hampshire news - Londonderry band leaves for

China - Thursday, Jun. 19, 2008

YouTube - Marching Lancers on WMUR June 18, 2008

(I also want to add that no taxpayer funds were used for this venture )

Fantastic Post Valerie! These young people need our support and help! I plan to donate money to this organization and spread the word! God Bless them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 08:38 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Just thought I would update that one poor Lancer had to come home after going all the way to Hong Kong... they lost their passport & visa, and so were unable to complete the trip. Very sad for that student but as long as they arrive home safely, that's what really counts...

Speaking of summer as in another current thread, the temp in Beijing right now (12:19 pm there) is 87 degrees. The Lancers will be marching in full uniforms (designed to keep the kids warm on those chilly October Friday-night football games) doing their field show, among others. This after the 3rd group (the one my daughter is in) landed in Beijing less than 12 hours ago!!! It's sure not your average summer vacation...

Val - What a shame for the poor Lancer who lost their passport and visa - they must be so disappointed!

Sounds like the kids will have their work cut out for them marching in those temps, but I'm sure they do fine and represent Londonderry and all of NH well!WHen do they return? HOpe your daughter brings lots of pictures!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:07 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Default Breaking News!!! Yay!!

The airline that carried Group 2 to Hong Kong, China recovered the student’s passport and most especially his visa and was able to make contact BEFORE the student boarded a return flight back to the states. He is rejoining the band in progress, and will complete the trip as planned.
Full post here: Londonderry NH net » Connections Made Full Compliment to China

After 2 agonizing days of NO NEWS except for "all planes have landed, everybody is safely in China" we're now getting pictures and videos. All are welcome to visit and see what these amazing kids are up to!! Lancer Music Notes

Last edited by Valerie C; 06-21-2008 at 01:19 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Great news Val! I looked at the videos and had to laugh when I saw a WalMart!

Do any of the kids or chaperones speak Chinese, or do they have an interpreter with them?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Lancers on The Great Wall of China

Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Wow Val, what an amazing picture!!! I can only imagine how happy the kids are to actually be there. What a once in a live time adventure. I am so happy for your daughter and well all the kids

Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Quote:
Valerie! Fantastic Photo! THis is what makes life worth living. Seeing these wonderful bright eyed kids do their best and show all the goodness that we have here in New Hampshire and the USA! I could not think of a better representative for our country!

We send so many arrogant athletes all over the world and they are paid millions of $$$$ each year and they may put 10% of their heart and efforts that these kids put in. I would rather watch these kids perform than watch some of our over spoiled NBA or Base Ball Players any day!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times
Val, seeing this photo I am speechless. How impressive!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Talking Hello Valerie! Thank You!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS AMAZING PICTURE WITH US!

Very COOL!!You should be so PROUD!!WOW!

I hope that they are having a wonderful time! Beautiful picture!

Take care!

Have a GREAT week everyone! GO LANCERS!!

Countrylv22

Quote:

Last edited by countrylv22; 06-24-2008 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YA! :0) :0) ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY! :0) :0) PEACE! :0)

Old 06-26-2008, 01:54 PM

Default Adventures in China...

First, let me say that this week, I am not a Realtor, repeat, not a Realtor. Just a parent who is looking forward to when all the kids are home safe and sound.

Apparently the kids were out and about in a FLASH FLOOD... (sigh) yes, Chengde China had a flash flood while the kids were in McDONALDS of all places...

This video alternates between funny and scary... but everybody is safe and accounted for... The scrapbook is getting thicker and thicker......

Check it out:
YouTube - China News Update Special Flood Edition Pt. 1

Lancer Music Notes » Blog Archive » Londonderry band members survive flash flood in China

Londonderry band members survive flash flood in China - EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

Londonderry Band wrapping up China trip, with flood - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2008/06/26/londonderry_band_wrapping_up_china_trip_with_flood/ - broken link)

WBZ NEWSRADIO 1030 (broken link)

UnionLeader.com - New Hampshire news - Lancers become a band on the run in China - Thursday, Jun. 26, 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire