U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 PM

909 posts, read 1,893,222 times
Default kindergarten cut off dates in NH?

Is there a chart or link I can go to to look up the dates in specific towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:07 AM

207 posts, read 463,751 times
Hi,

I don't know about this. I believe they have to be 5 by October 1st, but I would suggest calling each town office and asking.

If you need a pre-school in Bedford, the New Morning School is excellent.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:40 AM

282 posts, read 767,684 times
From the Manchester school district website...

"a child must be 5 by September 30, 2008. To register for first grade, a child must be 6 by September 30, 2008."

I think that is pretty consistent throughout the state, but you could hop onto the school districts' websites to double check.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:58 AM

LOL! And if you miss the date by one day no exceptions? DD's birthday is October 1st.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 14,861 times
Question Kindergarten in NH

In NH are you able to go to a school that is not your town?? My town does not offer kindergarten and if it did I really don't want my children attending school here. Is there a choice in NH??

Old 10-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaHof3 View Post
In NH are you able to go to a school that is not your town?? My town does not offer kindergarten and if it did I really don't want my children attending school here. Is there a choice in NH??
I haven't heard that there is a choice, but my town has 3 (public) Ks. Is private K an option for you?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:16 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,024,518 times
there is no choice in public schools - not like NY for example.

you can petition the school board to go to school out of town once they hit elementary school age, but you have to have a really good reason, such as distance, etc.

if your town does not offer kindergarten, they are not going to pay for you to go to another town

check into private kindergartens - I paid to send my kids because my town did not have kindergarten either.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:46 PM

680 posts, read 1,465,019 times
Some public schools will allow non-residents to attend for a fee.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:44 PM

122 posts, read 182,110 times
I've got to put my two cents in, since I'm a teacher. Do not jump through hoops to get your child into school earlier than he/she should begin. In Florida, our cut-off date is Sept. 1. for public schools(age 5 for kindergarten). Almost every year, I have students who began early because their parents enrolled them in private schools (which seem to have different cut-off dates) for kindergarten, and then were able to go into public schools for first grade before turning 6. Never do those students stand out as being particularly well adjusted, mature, etc. There is a reason for the cut-off date! No matter how brilliant a child is, that's only a part of being a good student. Responsibility grows with each year, and lots more is expected of children who are the "proper" age in a particular grade than students who squeaked by using another method. Also, size matters! "Little kids" are thought of as "little kids" by their peers, unfortunately. I am a 100% advocate of having your child being one of the older kids in class in lieu of being the youngest, and I have taught at a great school for 20 years, the last 15 years teaching third grade.
Also, want you to know, my own daughter's birthday is Sept. 7. Our cut-off date is Sept. 1. Because of that, she was the oldest in her class, even though she was reading before she was five years old. I thought of it as an extra year to have her with me before she went away to college! She was extremely smart, but not so mature, so the extra year was perfect for her. Do you really want your child to be a year behind her friends who are getting their drivers' licenses, dating, etc.? She is now 27 yrs old ~ in hindsite, I am so glad I didn't try to get her to begin school earlier (it's always nice to have one thing you're sure of, looking back at one's parenting!) Kids have their whole lives to become who they will ultimately be ~ there is no need to rush. Trust me. I am with lots of kids every day of my life.
Nancie

Old 10-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Thanks nanciegord. My daughter misses the Sept. 30 cutoff by ONE DAY. And I'm going to enroll her accordingly. My bday is Dec 1, and I totally felt behind the other kids my entire life. I ended up repeating freshman year of college because I changed majors and schools. Best thing that every happened to me. I'm also a teacher, and I do see the difference. But it's nice to know that sentiment is shared by a much longer veteran. Of course, I know that not every child is the same, but looking at my daughter, I know the extra year will be to her benefit. She's very small for her age, so going a year early would emphasize it even more.

Beside, I have high hopes for my local elementary and have no desire to send her to private school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire