U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:10 PM

213 posts, read 335,182 times

Advertisements

My wife & I will be moving back early next year. She cannot walk that well. I wanted to show her the Flume, Go on the cog, Show her the beauties of New Hamphire. She likes the simple things in life, sleigh ride, christmas tree shopping, Etc. Would there be some places to go and enjoy without to much hiking? I know we both like farmers markets.
Anyway any thoughts on this would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:38 PM

282 posts, read 795,277 times
The Flume is really tough to navigate if you can't walk...it is a pretty long walk...but they do have a bus that takes you some of the way. Cog Railroad would be doable, or how about the train from N. Conway...that can be a really nice ride in the fall! Also, a ride on the Mt. Washington on Lake Winnipesauke would be perfect. Just taking a ride through the mountains and up the Kancamagus is nice, too. Lake Sunapee also has a boat that you can ride. Charmingfare Farm does horse drawn sleigh rides in the winter....very cool (literally!! wear your warmies) and they have a big bon fire going too..............Well, I am all tapped out of ideas I think....good luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:46 PM

24 posts, read 62,721 times
Welcome to New Hampshire This site has a lot of info for tourist and residents. There are several farmers markets scattered throughout the state. What I generally do is to google a town I am interested in and see what comes up for area attractions. I do a lot of day trips all over the state. That is the nice thing about living here, you can travel just about anywhere in the state and still be home in time for bed. Hope you get home soon.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaK View Post
The Flume is really tough to navigate if you can't walk...it is a pretty long walk...but they do have a bus that takes you some of the way. Cog Railroad would be doable, or how about the train from N. Conway...that can be a really nice ride in the fall! Also, a ride on the Mt. Washington on Lake Winnipesauke would be perfect. Just taking a ride through the mountains and up the Kancamagus is nice, too. Lake Sunapee also has a boat that you can ride. Charmingfare Farm does horse drawn sleigh rides in the winter....very cool (literally!! wear your warmies) and they have a big bon fire going too..............Well, I am all tapped out of ideas I think....good luck!
Where is the Charmingfare Farm?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,703,574 times
Charmingfare Farm is in Candia. That's a pretty neat place

Old 07-14-2008, 08:10 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,113,290 times
yeah, skip the Flume - it's a hiking place with tons of stairs.

the boat rides on Winnipesauke are good (I'm partial to the Sophie C) - don't forget the sunscreen! And just driving around the state is lovely, especially drive along the Kanc - just gorgeous And Cannon Mt has the tramway. If you both have the nerves for it, you can drive up Mt Washington

Old 07-14-2008, 09:30 PM

259 posts, read 650,607 times
Default not too much walking

It will be fair seasonvery soon. Much of those are Salisbury-Beach-like with amusement rides Deerfield fair does a good job of keeping the olde-time tradions of animal awards and keeping as much commerialisim as is possible out of it. Rochester does tend to be more commercial. Also there are many old car gatherings at some old-timey diners throughout the state. try searching on Hemmings motor news, a old car-buff trade rag.
Lets not forget the Castle in the clouds is a nice trip in Moultonborough is neat to see. there are hiking trails but you can make a day of without hiking, touring the estate. Its a great spot to bring a picnic too, a frisbee or your croquet mallets to, overlooking Lake Winnepisaukee.
.http://www.hemmings.com/calendar/Conway (broken link) Scenic Railroad is a good bet if you're going to be here during the busy foilage season. They offer some trips with lunch and scenery that can't be beat!
A trip down the Saco trip can be fun, and "Saco Bound" can help with equipment, + gear + rides back to your car<<Lots more information on their site about trip lengths + difficulty etc.+ information for a nominal fee, tipping your driver for moving gear is customary. Saco River Canoe Rentals New Hampshire Kayak Rental Canoeing Kayaking Touring Schools Whitewater Rafting Androscoggin River Kayaking Umbagog Lake Canoeing Old Town Kayak Wilderness Systems Canoe Perception Kayaks Mad River Cayuga
I suggest avoidingh all the party animals on long weekends(during the weekdays aren't so bad). The section between from the Fryburg ME fairgrounds + Brownsville is the most canoed section on the east coast, by population.(Think Hampton Beach) The more serene section from Brownsville to Hiram is a bit more gentle and less popular. The last time I did that I didn't see another soul for 3 days. Plus the sand on the beaches is much easier on the feet.No section need cause anyone fear of whitewater"getting dumped" theres one tiny little spot called Walkers Rip is really "nothing"!just keep your weight low in your canoe and you'll do fine. It's just enough to add a tiny bit of excitement to your trip [ but no real risk].

Last edited by Yankeehombre; 07-14-2008 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: elaboration

Old 07-14-2008, 10:10 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,900,252 times
Charmingfare Farm (Welcome to Charmingfare Farm) is a great place, but except for the sleigh rides/hay rides, I wouldn't recommend it for someone who has a hard time walking any amount of distance. The footing is uneven, not paved. We visited it just before my youngest son was confined to a wheelchair, and within 30 minutes of arriving there, he needed to be carried on my back for the remainder of the day. Not the most pleasant memory

I love Wanna's suggestions of the boats on Winnipesaukee (is the Doris E still around?), and you might think of other things to do on the seacoast like a trip out to the Isles of Shoals, whale watching, etc.

A quick "welcome" to new member Hennypenny, who's first post here was very helpful!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:42 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,770,491 times
The Charmingfare Farm looks great! One of my dreams is to be able to take a sleigh ride in the snow with my hubby. I have always wanted to do that. I hope I dont have to wait much longer. How far is the Charmingfare Farm from Chesterfield? We might have to check it out.

I would love to do the hike at the flume. It looks beautiful in the photos I have seen. But it is too far north for us on this trip.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:16 AM

thanks all, Theres some great ideas here so far. I didnt give whale watching a thought. We go on those out here when we have a chance. Theres a lot more fairs to go to in NH also. And Hennypenny thanx for that site. Very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire