Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,456 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm sure some of you have read my original post. I figured I'd start another thread to see what people can say about the following towns which we've found properties that fit our criteria. I'll admit that other than the required acreage and house size, I really know nothing about these towns since we haven't visited yet, but was hoping to maybe get some info before we head out there, just so we know if we should forget about certain prospects.

Here are the towns I've found what I'm looking for in:

Ashland
Bradford
Brookline
Cornish
Danbury
Deerfield
Dublin
Dummer
Dunbarton
Ellsworth
Gilford
Hillsboro
Hopkinton
Lyndeborough
Loudon
Monroe
Moultonborough
New Hampton
Rindge
Stratham

I know these are all over the place in respect to location in NH. Just wondering if people can give me some basic information about certain towns. Like proximity to larger metro areas (Concord, Manchester, etc), proximity to ocean, proximity to outdoor activities, etc.

Thanks again guys. We can't wait to get out there and see the place for ourselves!!

Shootemup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Well, I'm sure some of you have read my original post. I figured I'd start another thread to see what people can say about the following towns which we've found properties that fit our criteria. I'll admit that other than the required acreage and house size, I really know nothing about these towns since we haven't visited yet, but was hoping to maybe get some info before we head out there, just so we know if we should forget about certain prospects.

Ashland
Bradford
Brookline
Cornish
Danbury
Deerfield
Dublin
Dummer
Dunbarton
Ellsworth
Gilford
Hillsboro
Hopkinton
Lyndeborough
Loudon
Monroe
Moultonborough
New Hampton
Rindge
Stratham

I know these are all over the place in respect to location in NH. Just wondering if people can give me some basic information about certain towns. Like proximity to larger metro areas (Concord, Manchester, etc), proximity to ocean, proximity to outdoor activities, etc.

Thanks again guys. We can't wait to get out there and see the place for ourselves!!

Shootemup
Hi Motoracer51 and welcome to the board! My best advice would be to contact Valerie C who is this boards esteemed real estate professional. She appears to be very forthright and honest. I think she will be able to provide you the best guidance! Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 PM

213 posts, read 507,911 times
Quote:

Ashland
Bradford
Brookline
Cornish
Danbury
Deerfield
Dublin
Dummer
Dunbarton
Ellsworth
Gilford
Hillsboro
Hopkinton
Lyndeborough
Loudon
Monroe
Moultonborough
New Hampton
Rindge
Stratham

Shootemup
If you lookup NH community profiles you can get some info on those towns
{Sorry I dont know how to link that]

Old 07-18-2008, 04:26 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,076 times

New Hampshire Community Profiles

Community Profiles (http://www.snhpc.org/Comprof.html - broken link) This one only has a few of the towns you listed.

Hope this helps.

mosrto to add a link, go to where the address for the site is in the address bar, click in the bar once, the address will be highlighted, then put your mouse over highlighted address and right click your mouse, then hit copy, then just paste it in your post. Hope that makes sense. I am awful at explaining how to do stuff

Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The opening page of city-data.com has a listing of States midway down the page. Click on NH and it will open with a list of NH towns and cities. Select the place you're are interested in and click away. More info than you can use.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:29 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
Quote:

Ashland
Bradford
Brookline
Cornish
Danbury
Deerfield
Dublin
Dummer
Dunbarton
Ellsworth
Gilford
Hillsboro
Hopkinton
Lyndeborough
Loudon
Monroe
Moultonborough
New Hampton
Rindge
Stratham

Shootemup
I can only speak about Dummer since it's in my neck of the woods. Berlin is where you will do all you groceries, banking, restaurants etc. Dummer is 15 minutes north of Berlin. It runs along the river. It's more of a farm type land location (country setting). very quiet. About 45 minutes to get to North Conway and 1 hour to Littleton. If you like outdoor sporting, this is the place to be. You'll probably be able to connect to the riding trails from your back yard wherever you live. ATV riding and snowmobiling riding, fishing and hunting are big up here. That's what attacts people from the south to come here. You will require at least 3 acres of land to build on though if you plan to build a new home. People selling small pieces of land seem to forget to mention that to the buyers. My sister has 3 acres along the river for sale if your interested in looking at that.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,787 times
You can't just start with a home price, size, and acreage. You've GOT to figure out your town criteria first: City or Rural? Are schools important to you? How about taxes - they are a HUGE factor? Access to Boston or a major airport? Do you like cold winters or REALLY cold winters? Town services? Conservative/Liberal? Nightlife or Wildlife?

For instance, Dummer and Stratham are WORLDS apart.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
Thank you Comet, for the kudos. I'd be lying if I said that I had good factual information on every one of those towns, but a few I could help you with

Suzet, I think this is the page that you meant to post:
NH Community Profiles (http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link)

The first link that you posted is for a real estate agent's site (can we do that here?) and what he did is pull the NH Community Profiles pages into his frames. Sneaky but effective, and even named the page the same as the "official" state page.
So, can I post my website here? Here is is: Val's Real Estate Page
(no--just kidding) gotcha!

As rmcewan stated, some of these towns are worlds apart (and I'm not talking about distance only!) so if you're a little more specific, we can probably help you more.

Last edited by Valerie C; 07-18-2008 at 07:17 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 PM

105 posts, read 357,857 times
My in-laws live in Gilford, it has certainly grown a lot in the past few years. There's an elementary, middle & high school. The new library should be finished by the end of August. Just a small general store in the "center" of town. It's only about a 10 min ride to Laconia for all your shopping needs, grocery, Wal-mart, Lowe's, etc. It has a nice town beach and does a great "Old Home Day" Sorry, I don't have any more substantial info for you

Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
I'll do my best to give you some info on some of the towns I know better, those in the Lakes Region:

Ashland - small town, pretty quaint with a decent village center, located in the geographic center of New Hampshire. Plenty of outdoor activity possibilities, being close to both the lakes and the mountains. The town lies between the Pemigewassett River and Little Squam Lake, so if you're into kayaking or boating it's a good location. There's a nice Common Man restaurant and Common Man store in town... and a popular 4th of July fireworks display. Most of your shopping needs can be met in Plymouth (about 10 minutes away), although if you want a wider selection, you'll have to head down to Tilton (30 minutes). Concord is about 40 minutes away and the ocean is about an hour and a half.

Danbury - another small town, which kind of has a reputation locally of being "in the middle of nowhere." It's not a terribly exciting place to be honest, although there is a ski and golf resort in town. There's still plenty of stuff to do in the outdoors, however, being about 20 minutes from both Newfound Lake and Lake Sunapee and close to Mt. Cardigan, a popular hiking spot. Tilton is about 40 minutes away, Lebanon 45 min., and Concord 50 min. The ocean is about 1 hour 45 min.

Moultonborough - a somewhat larger population than the previous two towns, although not much of a town center per se. About 15 minutes from Meredith, which has more activity, but I imagine that for certain shopping needs you'll have to travel to Laconia / Gilford (about 30 minutes). Lake Winnipesaukee, Squam Lake, and the Ossipee Range are all right there, so hiking and water activities are plentiful. The White Mountains aren't too far either. Concord's about an hour away, the ocean's 1 hr. 45 min., and Portland, Maine is roughly 2 hours.

New Hampton - just south of Ashland, also conveniently located near I-93. Another small, quaint town with a very nice New England prep school campus in the town center. There are a few businesses near the highway but most of your shopping would be done in Tilton (25 minutes away). New Hampton is pretty close to all four of the biggest lakes in the Lakes Region (Newfound, Squam, Winnipesaukee, and Winnisquam). The White Mountains are a little bit farther north, but it's still a straight shot on I-93. About 30 minutes from Concord and an hour and a half from the seacoast.

I also know Gilford a little bit, but probably not as well as these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire