Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 PM

9 posts, read 31,370 times

Advertisements

NH doesnt have a good school system - those communities that have thriving businesses/valuable properties do have good school systems. Pls pls keep in mind that in NH, education is funded by property tax and not much more. Which is why property tax is high and varies so much from town to town. Many many families who can have to live in the more populated cities/towns to gain access to the best education - otherwise, they go to private schools. Also NH is behind as far as having teachers that have graduate degrees ect. Im currently in an M.Ed program so very aware of this issue. I just would hate for someone to move here and not understand how the schools are funded. It isnt talked about on the state website. Our family is actually considering moving south to NC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 PM

625 posts, read 2,431,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gig harbor View Post
Hi, we are moving to NH in June, from the west coast. we have been out here 2 yrs and need to come back home to the east, originally from NY state.
We have a 16 yr old daughter who will be attending Exerter HS as a Jr and an 11 yr old son who is big into ice hockey and will be attending the MS.
I was wondering how the schools are and if they are clickie especially for the Hs as she is a little nervous to be starting over again.
Are there any new communties that are going up or any groups that form together in the summer?/
Thanks for any help you have
cathy
Exeter schools are ranked among the best in the state.

As such, expect to pay fairly high property tax rates (I think it's around $19.50 per $1000 assessed value this year).

Old 03-01-2007, 09:45 AM

40 posts, read 104,920 times
Default Military Moving to NH

Hey there. My husband is a U.S. Marine and we may be getting stationed at an inactive location in Londonderry, N.H. We have a 16 month old daughter. I have a few questions. Is housing affordable? (they only give us $1400/mo for that location) What is there to do? We are in our late 20's and I'm a stay-at-home mom. I'm very concerned for this move as we've been in the same place for the last 8 years and have never moved. A rarity in the military! I'm sure we will most likely be the only military in town right? Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:17 PM

104 posts, read 466,150 times
If you are a surgical RN, I think you ought to consider Keene or the Hanover area, as both have excellent hospitals. Also, both are college towns, and therefore have a lot to offer in the way of culture and opportunities for the kids.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM

28 posts, read 105,482 times
Thanks Earthangel-
We will definitely look in that area. We are planning to visit NH the week of Apr 9-13 (sping break here). Can you tell me what the norm is for the weather then? Any particular area we should see?
Thanks!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:38 AM

111 posts, read 483,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyava1 View Post
Hey there. My husband is a U.S. Marine and we may be getting stationed at an inactive location in Londonderry, N.H. We have a 16 month old daughter. I have a few questions. Is housing affordable? (they only give us $1400/mo for that location) What is there to do? We are in our late 20's and I'm a stay-at-home mom. I'm very concerned for this move as we've been in the same place for the last 8 years and have never moved. A rarity in the military! I'm sure we will most likely be the only military in town right? Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
I'm assuming you will be looking for a rental property during your stay in Londonderry. Your monthly allocation should be enough to find a condo or apartment to rent in the L'Derry/Derry area. Houses for rent are a little more difficult to find but there are some in the range you are looking for. Try looking in the Manchester's Union Leader newspaper's classified ads fo examples. Their web site is: http://www.unionleader.com/.

Depending on your interests there are plenty of activities in this area one can get involved in. Again, the Union Leader is a good source for that info.

I want to thank your husband and you for your service to our country. I'm a Vietnam Vet (USAF) and I know being the wife of a Marine is one of the toughest jobs there can be. There are many residents in L'Derry that are serving our country either full time or in the National Guard. One of my neighbors just returned from Iraq and another left for the sand box about a month ago. New Hampshire is very good to its military people and honors them in many ways. There are several military/veterans organizations that are quite popular and very active in NH. I belong to several of them myself. Your family should feel very welcome here. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:23 PM

40 posts, read 104,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
I'm assuming you will be looking for a rental property during your stay in Londonderry. Your monthly allocation should be enough to find a condo or apartment to rent in the L'Derry/Derry area. Houses for rent are a little more difficult to find but there are some in the range you are looking for. Try looking in the Manchester's Union Leader newspaper's classified ads fo examples. Their web site is: http://www.unionleader.com/.

Depending on your interests there are plenty of activities in this area one can get involved in. Again, the Union Leader is a good source for that info.

I want to thank your husband and you for your service to our country. I'm a Vietnam Vet (USAF) and I know being the wife of a Marine is one of the toughest jobs there can be. There are many residents in L'Derry that are serving our country either full time or in the National Guard. One of my neighbors just returned from Iraq and another left for the sand box about a month ago. New Hampshire is very good to its military people and honors them in many ways. There are several military/veterans organizations that are quite popular and very active in NH. I belong to several of them myself. Your family should feel very welcome here. Good luck with your move.

Thank you so much! That is a great resource I did not know about. I was hoping to rent a house so I'll be searching and hopefully the outcome will be good. Would you not recommend buying? We currently own a house here in North Carolina but this is huge military town and the turn-over for selling is high. I'm guessing it wouldn't be that way there but I have never been in New England to know about it's real estate.
Thanks again. I really appreciate the kindness of strangers. I also must say thanks for serving your country as well! The military is a close-knit family and it's great to get support where ever we can find it and I was really worried about moving to a place that doesn't have "active" bases. Semper Fi.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:33 AM

104 posts, read 466,150 times
Default April weather for Mel Pel

Sorry I didn't get back sooner... April weather in NH can be very fickle. It can be freezing, 17 degrees, with a 2 foot snowstorm (but it will melt in 2 days), or sunny and 75 degrees, or anything in between. April usually includes plenty of rain, but this cleanses away the winter mess and freshens and transforms everything to green and bursting with life after a long gray winter. By May, the weather usually settles down and becomes beautiful, but of course out come the blackflies... But they don't last too long. I love spring in New Hampshire! It is my favorite time of the year. Fragrant lilacs everywhere, and daffodils popping up all over the place.

I realize there is a disparity between school systems in NH, but I still think the schools here are better than a lot of places. As long as you settle into a nicer area, the school is usually pretty good as a general rule. If you go into a "divey" or a hick-town, then the schools won't probably be too great either. Keene has a pretty good school system, and the Hanover district is excellent.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:24 AM

49 posts, read 182,912 times
Londonderry has one of the best school systems in the state..the taxes are high in the town but its because of the perks u get....its a town where family participation is encouraged, they have beautiful apple orchards and great activites year round...good luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,821 times
My biggest thumbs up town would have to be Strafford or Northwood. Both feed into the CBNA school system (Coe Brown Northwood Academy, which also has a couple of other towns). CBNA has a great program for honors students, although not as many advanced placement (college coursework) courses as one would hope. But Strafford (especially beautiful with Bow Lake and Northwood Lake) is about 40 minutes from Portsmouth and about an hour from Manchester or Concord- close enough to shop and enjoy the ammenities but without sacrificing the safeharbor; the worse crime I can think of in the area are a couple of mailbox hit and runs. No vandalism, no gangs (ha, that's just a funny thought!) and very little crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire