U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 AM

120 posts, read 1,054,894 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how he weather is during all seaons. Does it get warm enough to swim in the summer? How cold does it really get in the winter? I am from NJ so I can deal with the cold weather, but I have been living in Tn for the past four years. It is nothing but HOT and WET here. I swear this area is a rain forrest. I don't leave my house for about 3 months to keep out of the heat. I am sure that will not be the case in NH, but what will I be looking forward to If I move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,138,344 times
yes, it absolutely gets warm enough to swim in the summer! There are a number of ponds and lakes with beaches, there's 14 miles of ocean beach, and many people have pools.

How cold it gets sorta depends on which part of NH you're in. You can get cold snaps down below zero but they don't last as long as the hot spells last in a southern summer . Northern NH will be colder than southern NH - and if you're comparing with NJ, I personally found that the wind in the mid-atlantic cuts right through you worse than the general cold of NH winter.

NH definitely has 4 (some say 5) seasons - it's decidedly not a tropical rain forest

Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 AM

3,859 posts, read 7,008,837 times
Last winter lasted 6 months November until April. We have had first snowfall as early as October and as late as January. Of course every year is different. I recall one May getting snow a few weeks before Memorial day. Of course-by then most of the snow was off the ground and the snow was gone in a day or so. Of course that is not the norm. Last year we had significant snowfall in November right around Thanksgiving and it did not stop until April. We broke an all time record in my city with over 140 inches.

You will find winters and actually seasons much different up here than in NJ. You will also find something different every winter. One winter there wasn't much snow but the entire month of January we never got into double digits for a high. I remember days with a high of 2 or 3 degrees. I remember many mornings going to work and the temp was 20 below. Other winters are mild. Others are snowy. Some are long and some are short. It really can be anything. Since moving here in 1999- I have experienced a real "mixed bag" of winters.

By swim-do you mean in the ocean or lake? The ocean is colder than the ocean at the Jersey shore. The lake a little better but water temps up here are not as warm.

This summer has been wet. For the past month we have had very bad thunder storms-hail, flooding, etc. The road by my townhouse complex washed down big rocks and sand twice. It has been humid lately too. There have been summers that were dry as well. It really is a mixed bag-probably the reason for the saying "If you don't like the weather in NH-wait a few minutes".

What part of NH are you moving to? If you are close to the ocean then you will have milder winters normally then up north.

Nicolem

Old 07-22-2008, 11:08 AM

If we move to nh it will be in the berlin area. I am more concerned with the summer time. I do not handle heat well. In the summer do you need air-conditioning?

Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 7,008,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith77 View Post
If we move to nh it will be in the berlin area. I am more concerned with the summer time. I do not handle heat well. In the summer do you need air-conditioning?
If you are not concerned about the winters in Berlin-I take it you won't be commuting?

Daniellefort lives in Berlin-hopefully she will check in on the need for air. I personally need air conditioning because the humidity bothers me. When I lived in Concord it was extremely humid. Now in Laconia it is better than Concord but we still get our humidity.

I know in the past-many on here have mentioned they don't need air. My husband and I do not like heat and humidity and wear shorts out when most wear pants so keep that in mind when I say I need my air conditioning. Do I run it all the time? No-but when it is very humid I do.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,259,324 times
Yes it can get humid - but not so humid that you need central air conditioning like down here (I'm in NC where it is 100 degrees today and with a heat index of over 110!). The humid days are like maybe 3 in a row then you get a good t-storm which actually BREAKS the humidity. Trust me the summers are nothing like you are experiencing in TN.

actually just looked, it's not quite 100 YET, it's 93 right now but the heat index is already at 108!!!! so yes we get humid down here in NC LOl

Last edited by NH2NCMom; 07-22-2008 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: looked up actual temps - :)

Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 AM

33,864 posts, read 29,368,532 times
Only slightly exagerating - North of the Notch has four seasons - winter - mud - bugs - winter

Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 AM

I am in Knoxville, TN area and its hot 90 degrees but feels like 100 degrees because of the humitdy. So the summers are better in NH compared to the southeren area.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,138,344 times
Ok, to give you an idea... I've just checked on weather.com and for Berlin it says:
current temp is 72d with 68% humidity (no heat index involved). It might get up to the low 80s by the weekend - isolated or scattered thunderstorms listed daily. But in NH, thunderstorms actually do clear the air, not like around here where they usually just add to the humidity.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:06 PM

3,541 posts, read 9,093,019 times
Talking have a nice day

ok in a nut shell. hot , warm, cold, frozen, warm and back to hot....there you go....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire