Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:04 PM

22 posts, read 48,987 times

Advertisements

So...what does it take?

Currently in Wilton but looking into moving north of Concord on up to Lancaster area. I've lived in Nashua almost all my life and in the last 10 years have moved to Weare and now in Wilton..both rural and private. Had a 45 min commute to Merrimack while in Weare...I didn't mind the driving one bit...had short drives to either Concord or Manchvegas...so it was pretty decent for shopping and stuff.

A big reason why I'm looking north and further north is because I am a outdoors type of person and love it, love the seasons love the scenery and love love love to hunt and fish! My wife cares less and keeps me from doing what I love...but that is another story and not where I want to go with this post. Anyhow, getting to "So...what does it take?", first off...what do you need to be prepared for if you end up living more northerly like in Lancaster or Jefferson lets say...than say Boscowen or Plymouth area? How do costs change versus living down in the southern part of the state,..insurance, gas, energy bills, food, TV/internet providers etc..

Ultimately...I want to move to northern part of NH, but I will most likely have to settle for Central (concord to Plymouth) NH, due to how much money I don't have and that I most likely will have to keep my current job at Fidelity in Merrimack in order to pay the bills and be able to find a house to buy or rent and house myself, my beagles and my two young boys when they come to visit if not live with me. Seems to me even if I were to leave my job...I would be looking for something in concord or lakes region for employment opportunities.

Thanks,
E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 03:30 PM

64 posts, read 128,109 times
I cannot really compare as I have only lived in Lancaster here in NH. I moved from WI and the biggest adjustment I had to make was not having high-speed internet. We now have FairPoint DSL after three years of living here.

I love the area. We are "Out East" here in Lancaster and the scenery is gorgeous! Be prepared to travel a little bit for big grocery runs and such. We are simple living folk and don't need bars or nightlife. I work for the local health care system and can see myself living my life out here. People have been very accepting of us and we have not experienced the problems that some have described when coming from other states. I do not know if that is our flexibility or we got lucky. Either one we are happy here.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:21 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara3967 View Post
I cannot really compare as I have only lived in Lancaster here in NH. I moved from WI and the biggest adjustment I had to make was not having high-speed internet. We now have FairPoint DSL after three years of living here.

I love the area. We are "Out East" here in Lancaster and the scenery is gorgeous! Be prepared to travel a little bit for big grocery runs and such. We are simple living folk and don't need bars or nightlife. I work for the local health care system and can see myself living my life out here. People have been very accepting of us and we have not experienced the problems that some have described when coming from other states. I do not know if that is our flexibility or we got lucky. Either one we are happy here.
Beautiful area out east in Lancaster! I know the area quite well. Close proximity to the mountains and lots of trails nearby. I'm sure a number of people would like to live in that area but jobs are few outside of certain select job sectors.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokewolf View Post
So...what does it take?

Currently in Wilton but looking into moving north of Concord on up to Lancaster area. I've lived in Nashua almost all my life and in the last 10 years have moved to Weare and now in Wilton..both rural and private. Had a 45 min commute to Merrimack while in Weare...I didn't mind the driving one bit...had short drives to either Concord or Manchvegas...so it was pretty decent for shopping and stuff.

A big reason why I'm looking north and further north is because I am a outdoors type of person and love it, love the seasons love the scenery and love love love to hunt and fish! My wife cares less and keeps me from doing what I love...but that is another story and not where I want to go with this post. Anyhow, getting to "So...what does it take?", first off...what do you need to be prepared for if you end up living more northerly like in Lancaster or Jefferson lets say...than say Boscowen or Plymouth area? How do costs change versus living down in the southern part of the state,..insurance, gas, energy bills, food, TV/internet providers etc..

Ultimately...I want to move to northern part of NH, but I will most likely have to settle for Central (concord to Plymouth) NH, due to how much money I don't have and that I most likely will have to keep my current job at Fidelity in Merrimack in order to pay the bills and be able to find a house to buy or rent and house myself, my beagles and my two young boys when they come to visit if not live with me. Seems to me even if I were to leave my job...I would be looking for something in concord or lakes region for employment opportunities.

Thanks,
E
Big D eh? Better hang on that job and see how 'that' ride goes first. Take another ride and get your head. check it out.. Take a weekend as your gonna be sharing weekends anyway, and go up there and camp out.

Maybe you can transfer to a like job in Lanc,. but jobs are harder to find the more north you go.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Big D eh? Better hang on that job and see how 'that' ride goes first. Take another ride and get your head. check it out.. Take a weekend as your gonna be sharing weekends anyway, and go up there and camp out.

Maybe you can transfer to a like job in Lanc,. but jobs are harder to find the more north you go.
Certainly heading that direction Mac_Muz...in all likelihood, I won't move up that far North for sake of job/income, but my heart will long for it anyways. Lancaster seems like a happy medium with Littleton and Berlin shopping not to far. I'm no stranger to driving a distance as long as there are no dang stop lights
Rt3, 2, 16, 110, 115.. no problems and scenic to boot!

Have friends in Berlin and a family camp up in Pittsburg, so I regular the north country often enough. Oddly, a girl I went to school with 1-12, had been teaching up in W. Stewartstown where that girls murder happend...she's now living down state in Milford in the town east of me, and they have talked a little bit about the hardships of living way way north to which I'm no dummy about but I'll need to really tap into what additional info they can give me. So far, it only confirms that Lancaster would be the furthest I would be able to go given the current local area and state economy.

The other reason I want to establish myself further north is the hope or idea that I will be able to teach my boys about the real treasures of a rural/outdoorsy life. I want to enstill an appreciation and an attachment to the great outdoors as my father has for me. I feel those experiences and appreciations have led to a richer smarter life so far.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 PM

No doubt you know the area and the good about it. Hang in there you're not the first guy to get a divorce. And get up there as you can for your own head.

You know here it takes 1 real good job and another and maybe another to get by. The dammed gas costs even if you love the drive. I love the drive but use a motorcycle so i can have speed power and some economy. It's a good bet i will be installing a trailer hitch on my 06 Nomad this year. I had a 01 with one and still have that same trailer. The trailer has a 18 cu ft box on it, and that may get swapped out for assorted other devices. Maybe a mini camper top and maybe a canoe carrier.

Besides ride i like hiking.....

You should know i am older now 61, but still pretty active. I can't hear well but i can read. You need a ear let me know. if you want to meet some time it's ok.

The kids should be number 1 but you don't need me to tell you that.

What sort of work do you do for earning?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 PM

been in the financial world for 13 years now. started in customer service and now a lead Pricing analyst. taught myself how to program excel so I can click less buttons lol.. this has no place up north except for small investment type shop or banks. have a few years of experience with retail and small engine parts service and sales. Its probably not ideal experience for up north but something should translate somewhere somehow.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara3967 View Post

What would you say are the biggest adjustments you needed to make and were there any sort of unexpected costs (meaning spending more money on gas to get around and heating).

Old 05-30-2013, 06:02 PM

Good and real parts guys are always in demand. But they don't get paid well usually.. I am not into finance. i see it as a form of witchcraft since we have no money...

Normally i would abandon a conversation with someone like you, but i know what the big D is so i won't and you seem sincere about thje land no matter what name it has. That with me is your saving grace.
people from away that want NH for the city life LOL and assorted other fakery of silly man and his folly and pretend ways i just don't deal with.

For me you must love the land... you seem to.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 PM

64 posts, read 128,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokewolf View Post
What would you say are the biggest adjustments you needed to make and were there any sort of unexpected costs (meaning spending more money on gas to get around and heating).
Let's see..the cost of heating was an adjustment. I lived in Wisconsin and we used propane heat there, but the cost of fuel oil was a shock. The lack of high speed internet (not so much now as then), not a lot of cell coverage out where I live, the cost of health insurance quadrupled. We have acclimated fairly well and nothing was too big to overcome.

However, we adjusted and the scenery is gorgeous! I had a job lined up before I moved here and I love working here. I am a team leader in the local clinic which is associated with Weeks Medical Center. We love the small town feel of Lancaster and have not had the issues with being accepted that I have heard about. All in all, we are content and do not often miss Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire