U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,879 times
Smile Amish near Manchester New Hampshire

Hi, I am going to be visiting Manchester in September and would like to know where the closest Amish Settlement would be. Thank you very much for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,576,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin39 View Post
Hi, I am going to be visiting Manchester in September and would like to know where the closest Amish Settlement would be. Thank you very much for the information.
Pennsylvania?

Just kidding... I didn't know we had Amish communities up here.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 PM

151 posts, read 525,561 times
Franklin and St Lawrence Counties in NY 'possibly'...

Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 AM

3,820 posts, read 5,533,749 times
There's Amish in Maine. The Boston Globe did an article on this a couple of years ago:

Boston.com / News / Local / Putting down roots

Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,583,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin39 View Post
I suspect the closet you may find is Shaker Village in Canterbury Canterbury Shaker Village - Home - but I don't believe there are any Shakers left anymore.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 AM

3,855 posts, read 6,634,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I suspect the closet you may find is Shaker Village in Canterbury Canterbury Shaker Village - Home - but I don't believe there are any Shakers left anymore.
No Shakers live in Canterbury anymore. There are only 4 Shakers living in the entire US(side effect of celibacy being part of one's religion). They are 4 older women and live in Maine. Can you tell I recently went on a tour of the Shaker village?

I highly recommend a visit to the Shaker village. The Shakers were intelligent people and invented and received pattons for many things. I was quite surprised about their lives and how industrious they were-not to mention they loved to take vacations to Florida and on Lake Winni! I have pictures that I need to get around to posting.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,863,383 times
Yes, I recently went there too and also highly recommend it. The Shakers were inventive cutting edge people, who enjoyed a better quality of life than the richest Bostoners(1800's). You'd think they'd have figured that celibacy would not guarantee future populations of them...

Old 07-24-2008, 03:58 PM

uh... they did understand that. What they usually did was take in orphans or other children that needed homes - basically adopt in the kids.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,863,383 times
yes, I saw a video in which a woman gave her account of being taken in by the Shakers, and the wonderful life they gave her. Although grateful, she chose not to stay, and left the community after being raised so well. Kind of a bittersweet ending to her story. It's just got kind of a longshot aspect to me, to expect to sustain a population without actual reproduction.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:50 PM

well... yeah. they just kinda hoped but left it up to the individual whether to stay or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire