U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,583,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
I wish there was a way to get the ezpass for those of us who go north periodically so that we don't have to wait through the lines. Any ideas?
I don't see why you couldn't get it. Check out their website Welcome To E-ZPass (http://www.ezpass.com/ - broken link) they have a nice faq page as well. It looks like you might not be able to simply signup though - they ask your state, and I tried NC - didn't seem interested in it. You might have to send an email to the contact address and inquire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:30 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,680,629 times
One time I went through the EZ-Pass without the transponder. It was a car I had just bought and I had not moved the transponder. I wrote EZPass a letter explaining the mistake and sent them a check for $.75. They were fine with that.

I really like EZ Pass. I've had the FastLane (MA) and then the EZPass for the past 6 years...... It is great to not have to stop (wasting gas and time) and not to have to find change in the car....

Old 08-05-2008, 05:46 PM

259 posts, read 615,259 times
Default uSUALLY THE RIGHT-MOST LANE IS CASH

usually should be for cash/ and/ or for trucks// trailer towing or for an attendant. If you ever make the mistake of using I90 around Chicago, they will stop you badgering you for money every 3 minutes until they've got every dime you haveAnd do not have lanes properly identified. Luckily I lost my lisence plate off the trailer on Arizona and the camera couldn't make out my makeshift hand-drawn facsimile back of a Pabst 12 pack carton, or couldn't match the registration with its replacement, that I applied for a day or 2 later, so no fine! Sometimes there's a tiny bit of justice for the little guy. It happened more than once, since they badgered me more than once. (I dreaded returning to finding a fistful of fines in my mailbox) I recommend I 80 as an alternative if you're headed west. ends of each are close. 80 is a bit straighter.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:22 AM

2,990 posts, read 4,852,562 times
I just got back from Indiana. Route 80/90 has toll tickets, but at night there are no attendants at the booth.

It's self service. A machine reads the ticket and then you put the $$ in the basket. My problem one night at 11PM was the machine couldn't read the ticket for some reason. It kept spitting it back out and the bar would not rise. It was already broken off because someone else must have had the same problem.

Altho' a line built up behind me, I refused to go through the bar. (I like my car...)

Eventually, (a few minutes later) an attendant appeared and he read the ticket and processed me through. He noticed I was from NH and asked me if we ever had a problem in NH. I laughed. I stated, "almost all of our booths are self-service, all the time, but we don't use darned tickets".

Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM

207 posts, read 449,448 times
I agree that the Bedford toll plaza on Route 3 can be confusing. I used to work in Nashua and took Route 3 every day for a few years and never had an issue.....of course that was in the days of tokens : ) I don't have an EZPASS.

I don't go through there much anymore, maybe twice a month and I go through Concord twice a month. I never have any issues/confusion with Concord. You can use the far left lane (the middle of the tolls) or the far right lanes for cash/exact change.

Bedford USED to allow you to do the same. However, when I went through there about 3 or 4 months ago I was headed for the far left lane, with 4 quarters in hand. I didn't see any indication or signage that it was closed.....maybe I wasn't really looking that hard because it had always been open before. Once I got real close, I saw it was blocked off with orange cones. I couldn't get over to any of the cash lanes on the far right due to heavy traffic (didn't want to cut off about 4 lanes of traffic-it was morning rush hour) and I don't have an EZPASS but I had to go through the EZPASS lane without paying.

On my way back through, I asked the attendant if I could pay her for my missed toll and explained what happened, she said no but that I would get a violation in the mail and because of the circumstances, I could appeal. She told me to send in $1 check and explain what happened. They granted my appeal.

Now, I always just head for the far right lanes no matter what. I actually went through the Bedford toll today and noticed it is now pretty well marked.

Last edited by miakelly; 08-07-2008 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,551,626 times
I have never been through a toll booth. We dont have them out here where I am at. Do they all costs the same? Do you pay with change or dollar bills? Sorry if I missed those answers in this thread. It is late at night and I am kinda skimming through this thread.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:56 AM

452 posts, read 1,033,662 times
We have "exact" change lanes, where you toss your change in the basket, and also have real people available in other lanes to make change for you. I don't use/have EZ Pass as of yet. They seem to continue to have a few problems that I would rather not have to deal with at this time. I'm lucky enough to be located in an area where bypassing the toll booth is relatively easy.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:59 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,583,851 times
tolls are all different- it depends on what the state (usually, but northern VA has some private roads around Dulles) feels it needs to charge. For example: to cross the Potomac river on the DC beltway is free - no toll booths, but if you take rt 301 down and cross in VA, the toll was at one point $.75 (it went up, but I don't remember to what). To go through the tunnel in Baltimore (crossing the harbor) may cost you $3.50 each way, and to cross the Susquehannah bridge on I95 north towards DE is I think $5 but you only pay one direction. In NJ, I remember tolls being $.25 on the Garden State Parkway (I'm quite sure they've gone up), and on the ME parkway a couple of weeks ago it was $.65 to get on the road (which we had to do a few times because we got lost).

So there's no telling what it's going to be - they put up signs around a mile ahead warning you. Sometimes you drive up and take a little ticket and when you get off you pay the charge (NJ and MA turnpikes do this).

Often there's a wire bucket at some of the lanes and you toss the exact amount of change into the bucket and the light will turn green and the bar will raise so you can go through. Other times there will be an attendant in the booth and you can hand them bills or change. Those lanes will be marked 'CASH' as opposed to 'EXACT CHANGE ONLY'. Problem comes when you know there was an attendant, and you hadn't expected a toll... and when you come back later at night and have no change (or forgot because you don't drive that route much) the attendant is gone and the toll is exact change only...

I think some tolls you can actually pay with a credit card (assuming there is an attendant or it has a swipe slot) - I remember doing that in Denmark once where the toll was around $24 to cross from one island to another.

You can see how stopping to pay (and if you miss the basket.. you have to get out and pick up the coins and try again.. maybe, or wait for someone to come over from somewhere to help you) can really slow down traffic. There are often horrible traffic jams because of it - and the lanes get wonky and people diving from one lane to another that either might be moving faster or they didn't realize it was cash only or ez-pass! And then merging back into the highway lanes on the other side - you never know exactly where someone from another toll booth is going to move to. The ezpass system is supposed to help keep traffic moving and lessen the traffic jams for people who go through toll areas a lot - especially since you only have to slow down and not stop - if you have to slow down at all (personally I would - aiming through that narrow aisle).

(more than you really wanted to know about toll booths, I'm sure!)

Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 AM

552 posts, read 698,820 times
TO OP,

Sorry if this was already mentioned,

Just fill out the back of the penalty statement you recieved in the mail and dispute it. There is a section to check off that you did not know what lane to go through.

I have been dealing with EZPass for a while and they have been fair in their dealings.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,019,546 times
two and a half year old post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire