Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,573 times

Advertisements

Article Date: Monday, August 4, 2008
MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) _ More people are moving out of New Hampshire than into the state for the first time this decade.

New estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau show 2,389 more state residents left for another state than settled in New Hampshire in the year ending July 1, 2007.

But with more births than deaths, the state actually gained about 4,000 people. Almost 2,000 foreign immigrants also helped boost the population.

University of New Hampshire demographer Kenneth Johnson believes the state will attract more residents than it loses "once the housing crisis ends."

More than 1.3 million people currently live in New Hampshire.

Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM

63 posts, read 132,546 times
Wow, that's hard to understand, given the number of us who are talking on this forum about planning to move to NH. Not only are my DH and I looking forward to a move in 2 years, but one of our kids is trying to sell his house in a neighboring state so that he can move to NH before the end of this year. That'll make the deficit only 2384!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times
Talking best people

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) _ More people are moving out of New Hampshire than into the state for the first time this decade.

New estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau show 2,389 more state residents left for another state than settled in New Hampshire in the year ending July 1, 2007.

But with more births than deaths, the state actually gained about 4,000 people. Almost 2,000 foreign immigrants also helped boost the population.

University of New Hampshire demographer Kenneth Johnson believes the state will attract more residents than it loses "once the housing crisis ends."

there are probably alot of people moving out because they don't want to deal with the winters any more... i know my dw and i are possiblely moving to south carolina this fall... i love talking on here because it's got the best group of people to talk to..and that's no lie...

Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,781 times
We lived in NH for 23 wonderful years--loved our town, had great friends, and raised our kids in kid-friendly surroundings. And then--arthritis set in and we looked for a drier climate for retirement. Plus we needed a place with shorter, warmer winters and lower heating costs; no snow shoveling; cheaper housing; and lower property taxes. When you are on a fixed income, those $$ items become very important.

Otherwise, we'd still be there, loving the seasons and the scenery and the history and the traditions and the wonderful cultural events. I'm glad we got to be there as long as we did.

When I was younger, I didn't understand why the old folks all headed down to Florida or the Southwest. Now I get it--New Hampshire is a wonderful place for people in the prime of life. For the arthritic with fragile joints and bones--not so much.

~clairz

Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 PM

485 posts, read 1,314,127 times
Default Beautiful state

That seems odd! It seems like with NH's topography more people would want to relocate there!!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:51 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchTigerHiddenDog View Post
That seems odd! It seems like with NH's topography more people would want to relocate there!!
I agree

Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 PM

485 posts, read 1,314,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
We lived in NH for 23 wonderful years--loved our town, had great friends, and raised our kids in kid-friendly surroundings. And then--arthritis set in and we looked for a drier climate for retirement. Plus we needed a place with shorter, warmer winters and lower heating costs; no snow shoveling; cheaper housing; and lower property taxes. When you are on a fixed income, those $$ items become very important.

Otherwise, we'd still be there, loving the seasons and the scenery and the history and the traditions and the wonderful cultural events. I'm glad we got to be there as long as we did.

When I was younger, I didn't understand why the old folks all headed down to Florida or the Southwest. Now I get it--New Hampshire is a wonderful place for people in the prime of life. For the arthritic with fragile joints and bones--not so much.

~clairz

That makes sense!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 PM

282 posts, read 1,186,242 times
It is very expensive for middle income/lower income families to live in NH. The NHPTV show "Communities and Consequences" illustrates why....we had a thread about it a while back. Many communities are also not very "kid" and "family" friendly, because of issues around taxes and schools.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:01 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,211 times
A similar problem is happening in Mass. For a number of years running now, the population has decreased. One might think that a trend of sort would be noticed by the State House. Hmm. Don't think so. They are not giving us enough insentive to stay, that's for sure. Personally, nothing can make me stay now anyway. NH here I come!!

Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post

Interesting article NH2NCMom! I would have believed that more people would want to move here than out, as this state has it all! beautiful countryside, wonderful people and affordable living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire