Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 AM

282 posts, read 1,186,242 times

Advertisements

.....got sprayed by a skunk!!!! And I am here to tell you that that is the GROSSEST thing ever! I thought I was going to throw up. I swear I would rather give birth to ten babies before having to go through that again!! In my crazed state last night after it happened I learned two things that REALLY WORK for dogs and houses dealing with this awful smell.

First of all----tomato juice DOES NOT work! What did work was this....1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and a teaspoon of dish soap. Mix it together, use it as a shampoo to wash the dog and VOILA...skunk smell's gone!!! I couldn't believe how well it worked. Apparently the hydrogen peroxide really cuts the oil well.

Also, if your house smells....put a layer of coffee beans or grinds on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 250 for an hour or two...clears out the smell. This also really works!

I figured that since it is now skunk season, I could maybe help someone out with the remedies above!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
sorry about the dog Angela....

did the peroxide bleach him a lighter color? LOL

good stuff to know. My dog never got sprayed before, but years ago my brother did!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaK View Post
.....got sprayed by a skunk!!!! And I am here to tell you that that is the GROSSEST thing ever! I thought I was going to throw up. I swear I would rather give birth to ten babies before having to go through that again!! In my crazed state last night after it happened I learned two things that REALLY WORK for dogs and houses dealing with this awful smell.

First of all----tomato juice DOES NOT work! What did work was this....1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and a teaspoon of dish soap. Mix it together, use it as a shampoo to wash the dog and VOILA...skunk smell's gone!!! I couldn't believe how well it worked. Apparently the hydrogen peroxide really cuts the oil well.

Also, if your house smells....put a layer of coffee beans or grinds on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 250 for an hour or two...clears out the smell. This also really works!

I figured that since it is now skunk season, I could maybe help someone out with the remedies above!
Oh Angela - I can sympathize! Our dog got hit full force last year...unfortunately we didn't realize it until she was in the house and by then the house stunk! We had another dog that had gotten sprayed a few years ago and found out then that the tomato juice really didn't work well.

We used Nature's Miracle (I think that's the name) to get the smell out of the house and the smell that even clung to the furniture and drapes, even though she hadn't gone near any of them.....and ended up using the combination you described on the dog, after looking for "remedies" on the internet.

Glad your dog and house are sweet smelling again!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post

good stuff to know. My dog never got sprayed before, but years ago my brother did!
Buck! You're back! We were looking for you after the tornado hit - we weren't sure where you were located in NH - glad to see you back!

To stay on topic - the peroxide didn't change our dog's color

Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,813 times
Talking Hello ANGELA! :0)

Sorry about your DOG!

I am glad it all worked well

I am a huge fan of hydrogen peroxide & baking soda for just about

everything!

Take care!

HAPPY THURSDAY EVERYONE!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaK View Post

Last edited by countrylv22; 08-07-2008 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU! :0) PEACE! :0):0):0):0)

Old 08-07-2008, 11:51 AM

282 posts, read 1,186,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post

My dog is mostly white....so now she is REALLY, REALLY white!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 PM

120 posts, read 1,171,166 times
that sounds better than using vinger.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,211 times
I never used tomato juice. I used tomato soup right out of the can-not diluted. That seemed to work, but I used a bunch of cans!!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM

248 posts, read 805,343 times
Talking Glad to hear that you are smelling better :)

AngelaK,
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! Our dog has now gotten sprayed twice, right around the same time of year - 2 years apart! Yea, that tomato juice wife's tale is garbage! We found the same thing -it did not help at all!!

We've found the hydrogen mixture to work as well , but if you ever run out of anything in that mixture...try Scope or toothpaste! I know that sounds really odd but it really does work! That is what we had to use on our dog the past two times Let me tell you, he smelled minty fresh when we were done!

Hope your doggie is back to normal!

Thank you for that coffee and filter in the oven idea - that will come in handy!!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
"Buck! You're back! We were looking for you after the tornado hit - we weren't sure where you were located in NH - glad to see you back!

To stay on topic - the peroxide didn't change our dog's color"

hey, thanks for thinking of me. I was in Indiana when the storms hit NH. How ironic to turn on the news in IN and find NH making headlines! Usually tornadoes are hitting IN while I'm there. (I go for DD's national competition).

We did not sustain any damage here, but the cottage in Maine lost 3 big pine trees. Luckily they did not hit the house nor do any damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire