Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have Vonage phone service? We have horrible phone service through Metrocast and problems that started the day we switched from Verizon to Metrocast back in February. We really don't want to stay with Metrocast or switch to Fairpoint.

Does anyone have experience with Vonage?

Thank you,

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:48 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Does anyone have Vonage phone service? We have horrible phone service through Metrocast and problems that started the day we switched from Verizon to Metrocast back in February. We really don't want to stay with Metrocast or switch to Fairpoint.

Does anyone have experience with Vonage?

Thank you,

Nicolem
I used Vonage for awhile for my business. It worked fine for awhile, then there was a terrible "echo" and it would hang up on whomever I was speaking with. I called Vonage and told them I wanted to cancel the service because of the problems. They asked me to let them send me replacement equipment and if that didn't work, I could cancel.

Long story short, it didn't work and when I went to cancel, they billed me for the cancellation because by sending the replacement, it started my "offer" all over again, which they had specifically told me would not happen. I fought with them for 2 months over the thing, even contacted the FCC - I got shafted by them and there was basically nothing I could do. I would never do business with them again. I also reported them to the BBB, but since it was my word against theirs, I was screwed.

In retrospect, I knew better and should have gotten it in writing that what they sent was a replacement and if it didn't work I could cancel with no charges. I also wish I had recorded my conversation with the person I spoke to about the replacement.

I had the business account with them, not the personal. Other people I know use them and have had no problems with the connection or the company. It could be that the problems I had were because of our location, I don't know. If you do go with them, and if you have any problems, have them send you something in writing that you won't be penalized for "replacement parts".

Old 08-11-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
I used Vonage for awhile for my business. It worked fine for awhile, then there was a terrible "echo" and it would hang up on whomever I was speaking with. I called Vonage and told them I wanted to cancel the service because of the problems. They asked me to let them send me replacement equipment and if that didn't work, I could cancel.

Long story short, it didn't work and when I went to cancel, they billed me for the cancellation because by sending the replacement, it started my "offer" all over again, which they had specifically told me would not happen. I fought with them for 2 months over the thing, even contacted the FCC - I got shafted by them and there was basically nothing I could do. I would never do business with them again. I also reported them to the BBB, but since it was my word against theirs, I was screwed.

In retrospect, I knew better and should have gotten it in writing that what they sent was a replacement and if it didn't work I could cancel with no charges. I also wish I had recorded my conversation with the person I spoke to about the replacement.

I had the business account with them, not the personal. Other people I know use them and have had no problems with the connection or the company. It could be that the problems I had were because of our location, I don't know. If you do go with them, and if you have any problems, have them send you something in writing that you won't be penalized for "replacement parts".
Thanks Dare for sharing your experience!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:41 PM

248 posts, read 805,107 times
NicoleM - I don't have any experience with Vonage, but they are tempting! If I hear anything I will def. let you know!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzmjp View Post
NicoleM - I don't have any experience with Vonage, but they are tempting! If I hear anything I will def. let you know!
Thanks!

Nicolem

Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
I used Vonage when it first came out for awhile; it was decent and service was usually ok. Over time I began to get an echo and the VOIP device failed so I got a new one (it was a few years old- ok). Activating the new device on my existing account took about 12 hours of hold time/phone conversations to finally get it "right" (they kept cancelling my account or creating a new one and billing the old one still). I ended up moving somewhere where my cells had good signal and dropped Vonage; cancelling took me THREE days. Yes THREE. It was weird- I just kept getting passed around from person to person who couldn't understand "cancel" and kept referencing tickets from the issues I had months earlier... I have vowed never to do business with the company and now pay $65/month for unlimited phoneservice instead of dealing with that again. Supposedly there are other VOIP companies out there- but I would "test" their billing/customer service lines before signing up for them.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
I used Vonage when it first came out for awhile; it was decent and service was usually ok. Over time I began to get an echo and the VOIP device failed so I got a new one (it was a few years old- ok). Activating the new device on my existing account took about 12 hours of hold time/phone conversations to finally get it "right" (they kept cancelling my account or creating a new one and billing the old one still). I ended up moving somewhere where my cells had good signal and dropped Vonage; cancelling took me THREE days. Yes THREE. It was weird- I just kept getting passed around from person to person who couldn't understand "cancel" and kept referencing tickets from the issues I had months earlier... I have vowed never to do business with the company and now pay $65/month for unlimited phoneservice instead of dealing with that again. Supposedly there are other VOIP companies out there- but I would "test" their billing/customer service lines before signing up for them.
Thank you-it is not sounding good for Vonage.

I never thought I would wish to be back in a Comcast area but I do.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
No problem, its unfortunate. I would love to be able to use VOIP but I just can't seem to find a good service! I really wish fiber service was available- but I understand that the user density just does not justify the infrastructure development costs.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:17 PM

91 posts, read 307,757 times
We use BroadVoice for our VOIP. No complaints here!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMishy View Post
We use BroadVoice for our VOIP. No complaints here!
I will look into that.

Thanks!

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire