Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:30 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,696,307 times

Advertisements

As some of you may know I plan on coming to NH at the end of September - while I find myself now having to "possibly" make a tough decision and I need your opinions on what YOU would do faced with a similar dilemma.

I have already put a sizeable deposit on the cottage we are renting and verbally committed to the woman who owns it for the 2 weeks on the 2nd of August. I planned on paying another sizeable amount towards the balance of the cottage this week.

The dilemma came up when I was sent on Tuesday of last week a job interview invitation for a job I applied for 2 months prior. I went to the interview, and was offered the job contingent on my medical review (which is complete, just the results are one week away). The training is a 6 week event and the upcoming trainings (that are scheduled at this point) is happening through the 2 weeks of the scheduled vacation. I have asked (but have not yet received a reply) if there will be any additional training scheduled.

Although this job is not high paying, it is a job and will definitely help us get out of the "poor house" we are presently paying rent on and such. It might even allow me to start paying on those forever things called student loans. I really want the job, but don't know how to "back out" of the vacation if need be.

What would you do? (Never mind the fact telling all the family it will be yet another year before they see me and the grandchildren )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 04:07 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,301,712 times
First and foremost-congrats on your new job! I guess you need to find out about the training. Is it vital to your job? Can it be "made up"? If it is vital to the job you really would not want to miss it- I know I would not want to.

Can you get a refund on your deposit? Can you call and explain? I know it is a verbal commitment but did you discuss anything about cancelling when you booked the cabin?

I would hope that your family would understand that this will help you out financially and may allow you more freedom down the road to visit more-financial and otherwise. As much as you don't want to disappoint the rest of your family-you really need to do what is right for YOUR family. If this can really be a catalyst to help dig yourself out of a financial burden then I think you need at least to seriously consider it- I certainly would.

Good Luck,

Nicolem

Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,286,574 times
Talking Congrats on the new job

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
First and foremost-congrats on your new job! I guess you need to find out about the training. Is it vital to your job? Can it be "made up"? If it is vital to the job you really would not want to miss it- I know I would not want to.

Can you get a refund on your deposit? Can you call and explain? I know it is a verbal commitment but did you discuss anything about cancelling when you booked the cabin?

I would hope that your family would understand that this will help you out financially and may allow you more freedom down the road to visit more-financial and otherwise. As much as you don't want to disappoint the rest of your family-you really need to do what is right for YOUR family. If this can really be a catalyst to help dig yourself out of a financial burden then I think you need at least to seriously consider it- I certainly would.

Good Luck,

Nicolem

nh2ncmom, i strongly agree with nicole.. you need a job and your family should understand... if you can't get a refund on your cottage then you might have to cut n run on that deal..your financial situation seems to be much more important to me.. atleast it would be to me.... you can go visit family another time but jobs don't come along every day.... i would definately stay for the job... that's MHO...

Old 08-13-2008, 04:36 PM

472 posts, read 1,706,468 times
Well, it seems to me your long term financial security comes first. But, if I may ask, what are the terms for the vacation cottage? Will you be renting it for 2 weeks? Where is it? The reason I'm asking is, I was thinking of coming back to NH for an additional look-see. I don't want to get your hopes up or anything, though. It was just a thought that maybe I could square you and rent the place myself. Just a random thought.

Last edited by scone; 08-13-2008 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,160,714 times
NH2NCMom - I agree with the others - your financial stability comes first, especially during these times when jobs can be hard to find. Call the person you rented from, explain the situation and see what happens - they may have a waiting list and someone else could take your place in the cottage!

As for the family, hopefully they will understand. We had made plans to go visit family awhile ago, but we had to cancel due to employment issues and time off. While they were upset and disappointed, they did understand. They weren't happy about it by any means, but we had to do what was best for us.....and the family members did forgive us eventually

There comes a time when you have to do what's best for you, regardless of other plans, what someone thinks, etc. Right now it seems the best thing for you is to go with the job opportunity.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:27 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,081,913 times
Is it possible that you can negotiate with your employer to have that time off since you've already put money down on the place? My sister was recently in the position where she was offered a nursing job and before she accepted the position, she said she had already 2 weeks vacation planned and would it be possible to keep it and her supervisor said no problem because they really wanted her to have the job. She got the job and her vacation time as well. It doesn't hurt to ask before you cancel and possibly lose your deposit. The worse case scenario is they say it's not possible to take that time off.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,442,811 times
I'd put the job first, but first I'd find out whether or not the training time is set in stone or if it can be shifted at all. Perhaps explain to the owner of the rental and see if you can be refunded. It's disappointing that you may have to cancel/postpone, but financial security is up there on the priority list. Can the rest of your family go w/out you? Don't know how you feel about that, but it's an option if the training can't be made up or if you can't be refunded on the rental.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,696,307 times
Thanks all - I am still open to anymore suggestions, but just to clarify...

I have asked about a different date for training, but haven't yet got a reply to it. Yes it is essential to the job for the training - I have over 80 pages of "studying" to do and memorizing before even starting!

My immediate family down here can't go without me, because we were going to drive and DH can't drive 14 hours with 2 young kids without the help.

I have approached the woman who I'm renting the cottage from in the past about getting my deposit back, and she never gave me a clear answer. There isn't a "contract" per se, just emails and my payment is the contract. It is in Milton (about 35 minutes or so north of Portsmouth, and 45 minutes south of Conway/Ossipee area). I have it reserved for "peak" foliage and it is on waterfront! It has all the nice things to have, sleeps 6, rowboat for use, grill, fire pit, basketball court - stuff like that. Full kitchen stocked (except food of course). Even has internet access and DVD player.

As far as "disappointing" my family - that is one of my least concerns LOL. Moreso worried about the deposit and the job - you know priority thing. Just seeing if there is any "miracle" ideas out there. Scone, I sent you a DM just in case it might work for you. If anyone is interested in renting this you can DM me - it might be one of the answers. I just hate leaving this woman hanging, she's been so patient with me and giving me time to make decisions and wait for my son's schooling etc...

Thanks again for all the input - and again still open to suggestions - and hoping I can make a decision tomorrow on this whole situation. I hate the "waiting game". Thanks also for the congrats on the job - it is reservations for a MAJOR AIRLINE

Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 PM

248 posts, read 803,737 times
Red face Agree with all...

NH2NCMOM,

I agree with what everyone has said and I do think that your financial situation is a little more important. I can understand your apprehension of breaking the contract, if necessary,... I am the same way... but if taking this job would put you and your family in a better position... and we are in a recession.. jobs don't come across that often that you really consider taking

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted of what happens!

~dzmjp

Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,179,241 times
Talking HELLO NH2NCMOM! :0) CONGRATS! :0) Cool!

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW JOB!

GETTING A NEW JOB IN THIS ECONOMY IS A HUGE DEAL!!

GREAT NEWS!GOOD FOR YOU!

This is my humble opinion Your FAMILY'S FINANCIAL SECURITY

COMES FIRST! And when I say FAMILY, I mean your immediate FAMILY,

Hubby & children are # 1 the rest of the FAMILY can wait until the time is

RIGHT! VACATIONS CAN ALWAYS BE TAKEN LATER!

In reference to your vacation deal how about telling the lady, if she can

hold the deposit until next year, when you are able to take the trip, that way

you will not lose the deposit. It never hurts to just ASK

Another idea, would be to list this on CRAIGSLIST, maybe you will get

someone that is interested, especially since its during the FALL, a

popular time of the year.

CITY DATA also has a classifieds section, where you can list it as well

Another idea, maybe you can CONTACT A REAL ESTATE PROFESSIONAL

(HINT HINT) that you might know, and see if they have any potential

customers coming at that time of the year. Real Estate professionals tend to

be in contact with a lot of new people coming into town.

And by the way, typically when you work for a major airline, you get

discounts on flights, right? Something to look forward to!

Anyway, this is all I can think of for now GOOD LUCK with it all!

CONGRATS & BEST OF WISHES!

Take good care!

Have a GREAT THURSDAY EVERYONE!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Thanks all - I am still open to anymore suggestions, but just to clarify...

I have asked about a different date for training, but haven't yet got a reply to it. Yes it is essential to the job for the training - I have over 80 pages of "studying" to do and memorizing before even starting!

My immediate family down here can't go without me, because we were going to drive and DH can't drive 14 hours with 2 young kids without the help.

I have approached the woman who I'm renting the cottage from in the past about getting my deposit back, and she never gave me a clear answer. There isn't a "contract" per se, just emails and my payment is the contract. It is in Milton (about 35 minutes or so north of Portsmouth, and 45 minutes south of Conway/Ossipee area). I have it reserved for "peak" foliage and it is on waterfront! It has all the nice things to have, sleeps 6, rowboat for use, grill, fire pit, basketball court - stuff like that. Full kitchen stocked (except food of course). Even has internet access and DVD player.

As far as "disappointing" my family - that is one of my least concerns LOL. Moreso worried about the deposit and the job - you know priority thing. Just seeing if there is any "miracle" ideas out there. Scone, I sent you a DM just in case it might work for you. If anyone is interested in renting this you can DM me - it might be one of the answers. I just hate leaving this woman hanging, she's been so patient with me and giving me time to make decisions and wait for my son's schooling etc...

Thanks again for all the input - and again still open to suggestions - and hoping I can make a decision tomorrow on this whole situation. I hate the "waiting game". Thanks also for the congrats on the job - it is reservations for a MAJOR AIRLINE

Last edited by countrylv22; 08-13-2008 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU! :0) ATTITUDE IN LIFE IS KEY! :0) PEACE! :0) ((HUGS)) :0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire