U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
32,911 posts, read 26,401,403 times
Reputation: 14888
Default Wood Scrounging

We were driving south on I-93 yesterday and saw a State Trooper having a couple of guys with a loaded pick-up and trailer full of un-split firewood unloading the wood to the side of the road where they had, presumably, just gotten it. Wood cut for clearing the ROW belongs to the adjacent landowner. I hope he didn’t bother with a fine ‘cause these guys were working as hard to unload the wood as they did loading it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2008, 01:09 PM
 
Location: "FV" (most can't pronounce it)
1,184 posts, read 2,107,992 times
Reputation: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We were driving south on I-93 yesterday and saw a State Trooper having a couple of guys with a loaded pick-up and trailer full of un-split firewood unloading the wood to the side of the road where they had, presumably, just gotten it. Wood cut for clearing the ROW belongs to the adjacent landowner. I hope he didn’t bother with a fine ‘cause these guys were working as hard to unload the wood as they did loading it.
I'm sure someone will wait for dark and come by and grab it - you know what they say about stuff left on the side of the road that looks "free" - it's GONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
3,980 posts, read 7,301,288 times
Reputation: 3215
Even better than stuff that looks free is stuff that looks like you're supposed to pay for it... True story:

My mom was getting rid of a bunch of stuff a year or two back. She lives on a main road, so we dragged the stuff down to the curb, stuck a "FREE" sign on it, and went back to the house. By dark, only a few items had been taken. SO the next day, we put 1 or 2 items out at a time, with a sign that said "For Sale - $10 each" Funny that EVERYTHING disappeared by the end of the day, and nobody left a tenspot in the "honor system can" that we left on the table This was in Massachusetts and not NH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
I'm sure someone will wait for dark and come by and grab it - you know what they say about stuff left on the side of the road that looks "free" - it's GONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
32,911 posts, read 26,401,403 times
Reputation: 14888
I collected, with the owner's permission, a small cabinet I keep next to my drill press to hold the drills and vices etc. The price was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2008, 09:13 AM
 
Location: near New London, NH
586 posts, read 911,103 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Even better than stuff that looks free is stuff that looks like you're supposed to pay for it... True story:

My mom was getting rid of a bunch of stuff a year or two back. She lives on a main road, so we dragged the stuff down to the curb, stuck a "FREE" sign on it, and went back to the house. By dark, only a few items had been taken. SO the next day, we put 1 or 2 items out at a time, with a sign that said "For Sale - $10 each" Funny that EVERYTHING disappeared by the end of the day, and nobody left a tenspot in the "honor system can" that we left on the table This was in Massachusetts and not NH...
That is hysterical. And a little sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top