Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times

Advertisements

You are welcome. I know we have a lot of wonderful gardners on this forum. Your post might not of gotten the attention it deserves from being on the other thread. Thats why they pay me the big bucks, to keep things in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACarole View Post
Thanks for moving me, Suzet - sorry about that!!
Ken E - beautiful home!!

Buck - you're killing me! All of my tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, squash, radishes, onions, lavendar, spearmint, beans, okra, and zucchini are finished. In fact one of my 'chores' this weekend is to pull up the rest of the dead plants and re-mulch for winter. We actually did okay with ours this year, but it's just SO hot, and we're usually rationing water, so we can only water between like 8 pm and 8 am. Unfortunately, that's when everybody else in our 100 home neighborhood is doing it too, so there's not much pressure. Looking forward to trying some new crops like broccoli and cauliflower and asparagus and eggplant and lettuce (too hot to even get off the ground here) when we get there. I've already got my stuff picked out that we're gonna try up there in my 'MOVING' file..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 06:58 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
there are some crops I don't bother with - I used to, back in the day, but they are real high maintenance

that includes potato, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower - there are nasty beasties (insects) that invade these particular cold crops and then they infest the rest of the veggies - I am totally organic so I have a hard enough time controlling the tomato horn worm and the tobacco horn worm that get into the tomato plants

I refuse to deal with those other buggers - potatoes have the Colorado striped beetle -they are worse than Japanese beetles.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 AM

120 posts, read 785,778 times
Gotcha! I'll have to keep that in mind. I just wanted to try broccoli because it's impossible to grow down here in LA - too hot all the time! Maybe I'll just pick it up at the farmer's market. Lettuce is impossible here, too; maybe I'll try that instead.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Thats why they pay me the big bucks, to keep things in order.
Yeah I could even afford to pay you those big bucks cheap labor!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
there are some crops I don't bother with - I used to, back in the day, but they are real high maintenance

that includes potato, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower - there are nasty beasties (insects) that invade these particular cold crops and then they infest the rest of the veggies - I am totally organic so I have a hard enough time controlling the tomato horn worm and the tobacco horn worm that get into the tomato plants

I refuse to deal with those other buggers - potatoes have the Colorado striped beetle -they are worse than Japanese beetles.

The potato bugs, just take gloves and SQUISH them and the yellow eggs they lay on the back of the leaves. Pain in the butt - easy job - but back laboring if you have a large large garden.

My parents never had any problems with cabbage - didn't have any luck with lettuce, broccoli or cauliflower either. Their tomatoes, cukes, squash, corn etc were big and scrumptous

Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I love my pines. Laid vertically.
Sorry. I meant horizontally.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
I knew what you meant...

Old 08-22-2008, 03:34 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
Do any of you grow roses?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:34 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Yeah I could even afford to pay you those big bucks cheap labor!

Hahaha. Thanks for the laugh, I needed that today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire