U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 AM

40 posts, read 40,949 times
I don't know what I am doing here.
I was just searching for some info in Manchester because I will be back soon. Gotta get situated there with work and have much to do.
I lived in Manchester since 1979, moved from L.I.N.Y. to Nashua in 1978.
That was a big jump.

I got stuck in City Data Forum somehow.
This thread had a very big response from people so I decided it a fair deal to pop my head in.

I am in Thailand for the past year now and I am coming back to Manchester, N.H. the place I wanted to run away from.
I have a Thai wife and will work for the next year for her immigration to N.H.
Maybe I will be the Old Man of New Hampshire soon.

I'll see you all back here later. Maybe you can answer a hundred questions for me on the hows and whats to do with a wife from Isaan in Manchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 06:57 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,585,359 times
Hi Sender,

Oh you wouldn't be the first to return to the place you got away from!

congrats on wanting your wife to come in legally! What's do to with a Thai wife? I imagine the same things you do with any wife - with the addition of making sure she can read/write/speak English well enough to be independent.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 AM

104 posts, read 208,338 times
I stumbled on C-D looking for something else, stopped in to visit and found this board and the nice people that are here

I was born in Keene NH, lived in West Swanzey for 6 yrs, then moved to VT for 29 yrs! Finally got back to the "American side of the River" (as DH says) for the last 13 years. We live in the "remote" part of NH (as some say here on C-D) lol As most of our businesses are in VT, we're probably going to stay on this side of the state. I can see VT from across the river, but I don't have to live there anymore, TG. In the summer, I go to the Lakes Region a lot, as my IL's have a camp on Lake Winnipesaukee, so I get to live in 2 great areas of NH!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:45 PM

495 posts, read 1,051,787 times
Born and raised in Keene, NH. Currently live in Portland, ME for the third time. Have also lived in Newmarket, Dover, and Durham, NH. Plus, Lilburn, GA and Andover, MA.

Also currently looking into moving out of Portland. The weather and economy are getting to me. On top of the list is Denver, CO (gf is lookng at going to school there, and it's time for a change). Have also driven trucks all over NH, VT, ME, and eastern MA. I have seen a lot of New England.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 AM

32,923 posts, read 26,410,850 times
We moved to NH 26 years ago for a job relocation. I like the place but the winters are feeling colder (they aren't actually) and I am not certain we can afford the living costs after I retire. I live in Londonderry and commute to work in Boston.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 AM

40 posts, read 40,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
Hi Sender,

Oh you wouldn't be the first to return to the place you got away from!

congrats on wanting your wife to come in legally! What's do to with a Thai wife? I imagine the same things you do with any wife - with the addition of making sure she can read/write/speak English well enough to be independent.
Yeah WCH,
Sorry, so slow at reply, busy busy busy. Thanks for the input!
Be in N.H in a week.

She does pretty good with the English, ought to be able to pass a naturalization exam when the time comes.

I need allot of strength to continue, it has been 3 years of COMPLICATED and I do say COMPLICATED mazes to find my way through between here ane there on both of the governments demands. Not to mention maintaining myself through so many other surprizes that I have had to accept, and more problems to find my way through.

My last hair raiser was today when I picked up on the news about America's failing economy again!

Tell me it's OK, please ??

The OP was confused? I am here (I just figured it out) because I left N.H., I am relocating back and just to chit chat ... lol! .

I found some things elsewhere that has happened when Thai wives were brought to the U.S.A. like.... Setting the heat at 35 because it's cold outside, and running outdoors in sub zero weather with no coat because the sun was shining !

Oh isn't there allot more where that came from, lol.

Bye bye, see ya later, have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 AM

23 posts, read 27,617 times
I live in San Diego, CA and am moving to Littleton in the spring. Looking forward to it but nervous. People keep telling me it's cold in New Hampshire. Why is that?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:23 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,771,724 times
Hi guys remember me???
I am the gypsy that moved from NH over 12 years go to Texas, and finally FINALLY made it back home because of you guys!!

It's now been over one year, and I'm still living in Belmont, NH (rental) and even though the economy isn't all that grand, I'm saving to buy my very first home ever.
Miss you guys!

Kat

Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 AM

2,489 posts, read 5,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertariangirl1956 View Post
I live in San Diego, CA and am moving to Littleton in the spring. Looking forward to it but nervous. People keep telling me it's cold in New Hampshire. Why is that?
Hi Libertariangirl - I'm in Littleton....and yes, it DOES get cold. What's bringing you to Littleton? Yes, I'm nosey!

We moved here in April of 2006. That winter we had about a week of temps around 20 below 0, but not much snow. This past winter wasn't as cold, but boy did we get snow! I can't remember the amount now (I think I blocked it out of my mind). This summer was generally cool and we had quite a bit of rain. It will be interesting to see what this winter brings.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you rent when you first move to the area to be sure this is where you want to be - coming from CA, I would think there'd be quite a bit of "culture shock" for you as well as the difference in the weather.

Generally speaking, we're quite happy and content here. I love the town and I really appreciate the planning that went into bringing bigger stores in, yet keeping Main Street "preserved." People up here are friendly, but reserved. We've met a lot of really nice people and now that they know we're here to stay and not change the "flavor" fo the town, more are opening up . We have terrific neighbors! We also have a lot of "transplants" up here.

The only "complaint" is that there aren't many good paying jobs up here, but that's true for most towns in northern NH - I "brought my job with me" - I do medical transcription, so we weren't impacted by the difference in pay as badly as some people are - if you'll need to work, make sure you have a job in place before moving.

If you have any other questions about Littleton, feel free to ask - I'm not on C-D as often as I once was, so feel free to email me - I have email enabled.

BTW - it's normal to be nervous before a move, so don't get freaked out about any nervousness....Yes, you will be colder than where you are now, but layering clothes pretty much takes care of it!

Old 11-10-2008, 04:35 AM

2,489 posts, read 5,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
Hi guys remember me???
I am the gypsy that moved from NH over 12 years go to Texas, and finally FINALLY made it back home because of you guys!!

It's now been over one year, and I'm still living in Belmont, NH (rental) and even though the economy isn't all that grand, I'm saving to buy my very first home ever.
Miss you guys!

Kat
Kat! Is that really you?!??!?!?! Glad to "see" you again! Hope you and the family are all well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire