Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 08:51 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times

Advertisements

Enjoy your day shop! Sorry we couldn't keep the clouds and rain away for you and your wife today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 AM

25 posts, read 90,207 times
Default Littleton

Ugh !!! .... Very disappointed visiting this dump of a town !!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:23 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Littleton's a dump? Granted, it's not a Jackson or a Woodstock (VT), but it is a nice small town. Sure, there are some run down looking buildings here and there, but you find that just about anywhere.
Dare..I'm about 100 miles due west of Littleton and the sun is out, so it's on the way!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:30 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgvicar View Post
Guess you'll be looking elsewhere - I'm sure there is someplace in the US that will meet with your approval. Littleton will do fine with those that find the gems in the rough and see the potential. Have fun with your search for your paradise.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Littleton isn't for everyone - it seems people either love it or hate it....sorry you were so disappointed. From reading some of your other posts, it looks like you're from NYC? If so, it makes sense you would be disappointed - lots of culture shock

Vter - Glad to hear the sun is on the way

Old 08-30-2008, 01:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
I don't live in N.H. right now but i'll be the first one to say Bye-Bye.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM

25 posts, read 52,065 times
Well, Im from NYC, I am far from disappointed with Littleton. I looked at a few homes today, Littleton, Franconia, Sugerhill, Bethlahem and I know this is where I want to be. Eventually New Hampshire will be my home, just not sure what town yet. Tomorrow I will be looking again and hoping that something just jumps out. Thus far the only disappoinment is no Haunting activity at Thayers inn. Have a great Saturday night.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shop14 View Post
Well, Im from NYC, I am far from disappointed with Littleton. I looked at a few homes today, Littleton, Franconia, Sugerhill, Bethlahem and I know this is where I want to be. Eventually New Hampshire will be my home, just not sure what town yet. Tomorrow I will be looking again and hoping that something just jumps out. Thus far the only disappoinment is no Haunting activity at Thayers inn. Have a great Saturday night.
Good morning shop - From reading your notes on the forum, I was pretty sure you would like the area, unlike the other poster. Sometimes you just get a "feel" as to who will like the area (or the state) and who won't by their postings

In any case - We've met quite a few people who were originally from either NYC proper or LI or other surrounding areas who now live here and are quite happy up in our neck of the woods - one fellow from the Hamptons lives up here and loves it....I think it all depends on the person and what they are looking for. There is a certain amount of "culture shock" when you actually move, but for us, anyway, it was a nice "culture shock" if that makes any kind of sense.

I enjoy Franconia and Bethlehem - I haven't spent much time in Sugar Hill, so can't really say much about that town. I think what I like about Littleton, is that we're close to Franconia, Bethlehem, even St. Johnsbury in Vermont....in my mind (and it's probably different when looking at a map) we're kinda in the middle and can get to these places in a relatively short period of time and have the benefits of all the towns, even in the winter.

While you've been in town, did you see Remich Park with the gazebo? That's a nice place to "hang out" on a Friday night for free concerts....as is the gazebo in Bethlehem on the main street - their concerts are Sunday nights. I *think* tonight is the last one for the season in Bethlehem.

If you see this before you venture out today - check out the Farmer's Market here in town, too. I think that runs through October. Also, there's the Moore Reservoir - we were up there Friday watching kids fish There are 2 or 3 ways to get to it, one has a boat launch, a lot of people kayyak there, there's an area where they allow dogs to swim and there's an area with picnic tables set up where you can see the water, the dam itself, etc. There's another gazebo down by the Riverglen Senior residence where you can watch the Ammonusuc (spelling!!!!) River go through town - we got married in that gazebo 2 years ago this coming Tuesday

I personally can't wait for the Opera House to be finished with the renovations. There's a lot of potential there for so many things and it's a beautiful building.

Don't forget to check out the Village Bookstore....I love that place....and of course, Chutters to get your fill of candy!

I'm sorry you haven't experienced the "other-worldly" presence at Thayer's....maybe last night or tonight!

It's interesting - it's not even 7 a.m. yet, but as I sit here, I can hear kids outside playing already - I think that's one of my favorite things about living here - kids are outside early and seem to enjoy it until it's time for their parents to call them in for a meal or for bedtime...I love hearing the kids playing and laughing - it's a great way to start the day

Old 08-31-2008, 07:10 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Speaking of St. Johnsbury, if you have time and want a change of scenery, head on over and check out the Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium. Really interesting. The Art Gallery in the library (St. Johnsbury Atheneaum) is nice. Stephen Huneck's Gallery at Dog Mountain is reallyfun. A nice loop from Littleton would be heading over to StJ, then 2 west to Danville, then south to Peacham, east to West Barnet, cross the river into Monroe, and then back up 135 to Littleton. It's a nice, pretty ride.
I grew up in that area on the Vermont side, so know the area pretty well

Old 08-31-2008, 02:01 PM

25 posts, read 52,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Speaking of St. Johnsbury, if you have time and want a change of scenery, head on over and check out the Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium. Really interesting. The Art Gallery in the library (St. Johnsbury Atheneaum) is nice. Stephen Huneck's Gallery at Dog Mountain is reallyfun. A nice loop from Littleton would be heading over to StJ, then 2 west to Danville, then south to Peacham, east to West Barnet, cross the river into Monroe, and then back up 135 to Littleton. It's a nice, pretty ride.
I grew up in that area on the Vermont side, so know the area pretty well
thank you vter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire