U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 AM

1,771 posts, read 4,482,456 times

Advertisements

Everyone,
As long as the weather holds out this weekend it looks like I might have a day to myself to do some exploring/hiking. Can anyone suggest a good walk/hike that would have the following qualities:
1) Sutable for lone-wolf hiking (ie, not too treacherous/not too isolated)
2) Not too long/challenging (looking to relax)
3) Scenic (keep in mind my backyard is woods- so I mean real scenic)

I don't really care where in the state it is (could even be in a neighboring state) but the closer to the southern part the better (but again, I don't mind driving up to the Great North Woods or Rangely ME if its a great hike)

Been more stressed then I should be lately and just want to take a nice relaxing stroll while getting some good exercise.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 AM

1,234 posts, read 3,304,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Everyone,
As long as the weather holds out this weekend it looks like I might have a day to myself to do some exploring/hiking. Can anyone suggest a good walk/hike that would have the following qualities:
1) Sutable for lone-wolf hiking (ie, not too treacherous/not too isolated)
2) Not too long/challenging (looking to relax)
3) Scenic (keep in mind my backyard is woods- so I mean real scenic)

I don't really care where in the state it is (could even be in a neighboring state) but the closer to the southern part the better (but again, I don't mind driving up to the Great North Woods or Rangely ME if its a great hike)

Been more stressed then I should be lately and just want to take a nice relaxing stroll while getting some good exercise.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions ahead of time!
Why not do the beach/coast - it is very scenic, and the ocean is always a calming affect on me - go sit on the rocks at Nubble Light and such. There is also a wildlife preserve on Pease that is very pleasant.

Those are my suggestions.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 AM

4,558 posts, read 12,107,009 times
I like taking my kids to the rocks at Nubble Light, and letting them climb. It's a nice way to spend an hour or two. In the same area, just a short drive away you can visit Ogunquit. Park and walk along the Marginal Way. It's absolutely one of the most scenic areas on the coast IMO. A very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours as well! I don't have any pictures of my own to post (and we're not allowed to post copyrighted images here) so do a google search of MARGINAL WAY and click on IMAGES. It's a really nice 1.25 mile walk (each way) on a paved walkway Let us know what you end up doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Why not do the beach/coast - it is very scenic, and the ocean is always a calming affect on me - go sit on the rocks at Nubble Light and such. There is also a wildlife preserve on Pease that is very pleasant.

Those are my suggestions.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 AM

33 posts, read 170,503 times
Bf66389, how far do you plan to hike? There are lots of nice places to go. If you're looking for something in the southern part of the state, perhaps Pawtuckaway State Park would be good...lots of trails that goes over small hills, and one has a fire tower. On a clear day you can see to the Atlantic Ocean.

Others that come to mind...Miller State Park, Oak Hill near Concord, Blue Job Mtn in Farmington (best in blueberry season, I've been told), or even Stratham Hill in Stratham. I think there might be a tower up there, and you can see distant hills, the Great Bay, and the Atlantic.

And if you want to travel...there is Mt Kearsarge, Mt Cardigan, and of course...the white mtns!! Other things you could google in the whites....

Mt Pemigewaset, Mt Chocoura, Hedgehog Mtn, Potash Mtn, the Sugarloaves up in Twin Mtn, Mt Willard, the Zealand Trail to Zealand Hut (GREAT FOLIAGE TRAIL!!!) and many many others. I can share some pics with you of any of these places if you'd like, esp the ones I mentioned in the White Mtns. I'm a big hiker.

The possibilities are endless.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,724 times
I've got a great short hike for you - Mt. Rattlesnake in Holderness. It's short and easy but provides an absolutely amazing view of Squam Lake (and Winnipesaukee in the distance). You could spend a good amount of time having a picnic on the top and just enjoying the view.

If you're coming from the south on I-93, you'd want to take the Ashland exit (exit 24) and then follow Route 3 South to Holderness. In Holderness, turn left onto Route 113 East and follow for about 5 miles. You should see a hiker's parking area on the left side of the road (and I think they may have just built one on the right side as well). The Rattlesnake trailhead is on the *right* side. And make sure you go all the way to the top (a left at the fork near the summit; the right trail will lead you to another viewpoint, but there are less places to sit and enjoy the view).

Just a small preview of the view (doesn't really do it justice):

http://photos-822.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v74/38/86/3419822/n3419822_34654594_7173.jpg (broken link)

A good place to stop after your hike is Center Sandwich (just continue on 113 East until you hit the village). It's pretty quaint and there's a general store and an inn where you could pick up some food and whatnot.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 AM

3,712 posts, read 9,632,353 times
Just curious: have you hiked around through Beaver Brook yet? while it's basically your 'backyard', it was very nice when I was there.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:54 AM

any seacoast hikes- I'm thinking a bad idea since its labor day weekend?

grouseking- I'm looking for around 5 miles and nothing too challenging. While I'd like to be a big hiker (I was in college) I haven't gotten back into shape for it yet...

Verseau- that sounds like a pretty good idea; I was just looking at photos. How busy of a trail is it?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
Just curious: have you hiked around through Beaver Brook yet? while it's basically your 'backyard', it was very nice when I was there.
My wife and I did walk through the trails; it was very nice. I'm actually thinking about volunteering there to help with trail maintenance and that sort of thing; need to figure out what I want to do though- that or sit on one of the town c[SIZE=3]ommittees. I'm actually rather impressed with how nice a little local park can be![/SIZE]

Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 AM

33 posts, read 170,503 times
Blue Job Mtn short and sweet

Blue Job Mountain - New Hampshire Hikes and Walks

Zealand Trail to the hut and back, about 5.4 miles roundtrip. Quite easy.
Zealand Trail - New Hampshire Hikes and Walks

If you're looking for scenic and easy, I HIGHLY recommend Zealand Trail. The other trail up Blue Job Mtn is short, and close to the coast.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:32 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Verseau- that sounds like a pretty good idea; I was just looking at photos. How busy of a trail is it?
Usually I come across just one or two groups of people on the trail, although on some summer weekends it can be quite busy. I'm not sure about Labor Day weekend, though. I'd say your best bet is to either go as early as possible or late in the day if you want to avoid lots of vacationers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire