Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:59 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Very LIBERAL part of NH.
Amen to that--isn't that where Rep. WEED is from and tried to introduce a bill legalizing marijuana?

Also, I think Dennis Kucinich was there last week--actually managed to get FOUR people to come see him. Any other town in NH he'd be talking to himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 27,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer grace View Post
I have seen photos of Keene, it is beautiful. What is it like to live there, in general? Would someone from the Midwest, like it, and find it not too out of place? How expensive is it to live there?
I am reposting because I couldn't edit my post due to a 30 minute rule. If the Mod wants to delete my first post, you are welcome to do so. I added some comments to the post.

Hi! I grew up in Keene, and loved it. Of course, as a teenager, I hated it. I couldn't WAIT to get out! So I went to Plymouth State College in Plymouth, NH and then moved to Dallas, TX to go to grad school. After spending 6 years outside of DC in Centreville, VA (HATED IT!), I kidnapped my husband and moved home to NH. We LOVE it. I FEEL different living back here.

I went to Benjamin Franklin Elementary School and Keene Junior High and Keene High School. I got a great education.

I graduated from Keene High in the early 90's, and no one EVER offered me drugs. I kept waiting for it (my parents did a great job with drug education). Underage drinking was the big thing then. And it was up to the kid, whether the curiosity was there or not. Some of my friends drank alot, I didn't. Up to the kid. Another thing my friends did and I didn't was shoplift. They had competitions on who could steal the heaviest, most awkward thing, or what they could sneak into the movie theater. I wasn't into outdoor stuff either, so it's been up to me to figure out what I like. Being a teenager in NH is like that. If the outdoors isn't your thing, figure out what is your thing and do that. It helps if the parents encourage finding out what their kids like to do. Who needs to do drugs if your friends don't and you have stuff to do you already think is cool?

I always felt safe in Keene and the Plymouth area where I now live. My parents advised me that if I ever needed help, find a police officer. I grew up seeing my grandfather talk to people we would meet, and they would respond with conversation in turn. So I have that attitude now that I'm an adult. If I need help, I'll ask someone. (I'm in my 30's and you may not want to tell a kid this advice, but it really has worked up here for me). Pick someone that has a kind face! They'll call you "Deah" (Dear). I'm female so I usually ask an older female or older man who looks kind for simple directions or something. And I always smile. And so do they, happy to help.

There is very little cultural diversity in Keene (and most of NH outside the "big cities" (as my Gramp called them) of Manchester and Concord, and possibly the Portsmouth area) although there are more nationalities there now than when I went to school. My senior year in high school I remember one black boy, who I think transferred in. I never heard any negative comments about him, I remember him being popular. But I didn't know him personally. There was also a black girl in my sorority at Plymouth. No problem there either, but I'm sure it's not all roses for other ethnicities in a place so, well, white. Honest assessment.

Looking at Keene from a grown-up perspective: pretty much someone has to die for a new person to get a job. The Plymouth area is the same way. If you have your own business, start there. The Manchester and the Portsmouth area have a lot of job postings though. JobsinNH.com

Property taxes are a big deal. They are high because they fund education. And a sales tax or income tax is political DEATH up here. No one here trusts that idea because "what if we allow them to create those 2 new taxes and they KEEP THE PROPERTY TAX THE SAME RATE it is now?". No one trusts the people that decide on taxes to not keep the propery tax high if those others went through. For good reason. So we just keep on keeping on with high property taxes. BUT, if the sticker on the soda says .99 cents, all you need is .99 cents. And you get more of your own paycheck.

Keene is pretty, but is very closed-ranked about big business and "real jobs". The Downtown merchants and the Colony Mill Marketplace were IT until a few years ago when they got a Walmart, Borders and Home Depot, etc. The Keene people blocked Walmart or any mall (calling it the Maul) for YEARS. Many big business decisions will be based on the environment (bogs, wetland, etc) as well as small business impact (which I admire!). Small business ruled for a long time, but it is breaking it's hold with retail now. My dad lost his job of 25 years a few years ago (he was a mechanical engineer in a company that has just about gone under) and could not find similar work in the Keene area. He now works for Home Depot. My mother, who is in the loan department of a bank, has lost her job 3-5 times over the past 15 years because banks get bought out so often. The job market STINKS.

BUT, if you find a job FIRST, it is a lovely place to live and raise kids. I didn't know how lucky I was until I moved to the city. Now I'm back to NH to stay!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 27,147 times
Default Keene schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymall View Post
I don't really know much about the towns surrounding Keene, for instance, as far as schools, taxes, etc. I've heard good things about Swanzy. Richmond, Winchester, and Fitzwilliam are all towns near Keene, and border Massachusetts. Chesterfield, and Hinsdale are nearby, as well. Like I said, I don't know much about the towns, only know of them. Royalston and Warwick are in Massachusetts, but are nice, small towns, relatively close to Keene. I live in Warwick, and it takes me 30 minutes maximum to travel to Keene and the same distance to Brattleboro, VT, and Greenfield, MA. Property taxes are pretty high for MA, but my guess is that they are lower than NH. Good luck with your search!

Okay, one weird thing that may not influence your decision at all: the kids who grew up in Keene (like me) looked down a little on the kids who didn't. I remember hearing ridiculous things about Winchester, NH as where all the inbreeding is located. Of course, that is just stupid things kids say when they have to integrate with other kids they haven't known for the past 9 years like they do their friends. The Keene kids go to different elementary schools based on where they live in the city, but in general they are bigger schools than the small outskirt town schools are. We all go to Keene Junior High School and Keene High. So we all meet and have known each other for at least the past 3 years before being thrown into KHS. The kids from Westmoreland, Chesterfield, Marlborough, etc are Strangers in a way. They graduate from much smaller classes (being from the small outskirt towns of a small city), so fewer "friends" move on together to Keene High. Of course, they all fit in with time. It's just a stupid kid thing.

The Keene High rivals were Monadnock Regional High School (MRHS). Kids from Swanzey, Winchester, etc went there. Of course, we heard that all the girls were sl**s and other such ridiculousness. Later, I had a friend who went to MRHS. She had heard the same thing about the ladies at KHS. Funny, really.

I have heard no report that the small town elementary schools are bad. But they will have to integrate in to Keene High with kids who have known each other for at least 3, but possibly 9 years already.

Like I said, it may not influence your decision, but it is a small thing kids have to go through.

Another thing about living outside of Keene is: grocery shopping. If you aren't the type to run by the store a few times a week, no problem. But you may have to drive to Keene to go to a decent grocery store, depending on where you live. 15 to 20 minute drive to get to Keene.

And when it snows, you may have to take into account Chesterfield Hill, or any other windy single lane road that NH is based on. We have 3 "highways". 93 (2 lanes) which is North to South, 89 (2 lanes) which connects with it, and 95, which also goes North to South. East to West from Keene is 101 (1 lane) (which can stink), and other small roads throughout the state that should in no way be confused with highways. A consideration to anyone who has actually lived in a place with a "big city", is the roads in NH. "You can't get there from here". That is a NH joke.

I love NH, but it has some things you have to think about. But I'll take it over DC ANY day of the week.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:57 PM

17 posts, read 121,478 times
Okay, seriously, don't you think kids will find reasons to make fun of other kids no matter where they are from?? It is part of growing up! If they aren't from the frowned upon small town, then there must be SOMETHING wrong with them...acne...obesity...too tall...too short...too thin...too straight...too promiscuous....the list could go on and on!!

My kids both went to a very small grade school...so small, in fact, they had combined classrooms (first and second grade, third and fourth, and fifth and sixth) and then integrated into a bigger school, (although, still small in comparison to others). I am certain they were teased along their school years, and although I tried to teach them differently, I am not naive enough to think they didn't participate in teasing others, as well!

There are advantages and disadvantages to living in a small town. A major disadvantage is any extra activities your child may participate in, such as sports, dance lessons, gymnastics, swimming, etc....it is all at least a 15-30 minute drive, one way. This drive will increase when your child integrates into the bigger school (Sports are now a minimum drive of 30-minutes and to go to an away game can take as long as 2 hours to drive!)

The main advantage to living in a small-town in my opinion is, and this may seem selfish, to keep close tabs on your children. I knew exactly where they were and who they were with at all times (until they became licensed drivers, I then could only assume I raised them right and they were being honest with there where-a-bouts)

I am happy to say, both my kids are good kids. They don't drink and do drugs and have never been in trouble with the law and I contribute some of these qualities to having raised them in a small town. In addition, I am not related in any way to there father, thus they are in no way inbreds! Just small town kids!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 19,285 times
I have lived in Keene for almost 19 years. Wonderful small town, great restaurants for a small city. There are now chain restauranst around the town but still really, really excellent local ones in town, nice coffee shops. BEAUTIFUL place too, old gazebo downtown, lovely old mill housing small shops and pretty good brewpub. We have a river through town, lined with a park, and you will see kayaks on it often in the summer. Bike paths criss-crosses the town. Active outdoorsy area for the most part, lots of lakes around. Old theatre that is refurbished downtown, a college with activities, EXCELLENT billiards spot, yoga classes everywhere, MoCo (moving company) teaches and hold good dances, Lions, Elks, Moose - all are here - and the best thing - our pumpkin festival! Check that out on the web.
There are lots of 'flatlanders' here so acceptance is not an issue. Being originally from the mid-west, I do note that people are more reserved, but basically very nice. This is the liberal enclave of New Hampshire. We are entering the Presidential crazy time, which means you may meet Hillary, McClain and more in your neighbor's living room if they are politically active and otherwise, walk downtown and there they will be! Barak Obama here Friday!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 19,049 times
Fun places to go out, any good music?

Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 46,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr157 View Post
Okay, one weird thing that may not influence your decision at all: the kids who grew up in Keene (like me) looked down a little on the kids who didn't. I remember hearing ridiculous things about Winchester, NH as where all the inbreeding is located. Of course, that is just stupid things kids say when they have to integrate with other kids they haven't known for the past 9 years like they do their friends. The Keene kids go to different elementary schools based on where they live in the city, but in general they are bigger schools than the small outskirt town schools are. We all go to Keene Junior High School and Keene High. So we all meet and have known each other for at least the past 3 years before being thrown into KHS. The kids from Westmoreland, Chesterfield, Marlborough, etc are Strangers in a way. They graduate from much smaller classes (being from the small outskirt towns of a small city), so fewer "friends" move on together to Keene High. Of course, they all fit in with time. It's just a stupid kid thing.

The Keene High rivals were Monadnock Regional High School (MRHS). Kids from Swanzey, Winchester, etc went there. Of course, we heard that all the girls were sl**s and other such ridiculousness. Later, I had a friend who went to MRHS. She had heard the same thing about the ladies at KHS. Funny, really.

I have heard no report that the small town elementary schools are bad. But they will have to integrate in to Keene High with kids who have known each other for at least 3, but possibly 9 years already.

Like I said, it may not influence your decision, but it is a small thing kids have to go through.

Another thing about living outside of Keene is: grocery shopping. If you aren't the type to run by the store a few times a week, no problem. But you may have to drive to Keene to go to a decent grocery store, depending on where you live. 15 to 20 minute drive to get to Keene.

And when it snows, you may have to take into account Chesterfield Hill, or any other windy single lane road that NH is based on. We have 3 "highways". 93 (2 lanes) which is North to South, 89 (2 lanes) which connects with it, and 95, which also goes North to South. East to West from Keene is 101 (1 lane) (which can stink), and other small roads throughout the state that should in no way be confused with highways. A consideration to anyone who has actually lived in a place with a "big city", is the roads in NH. "You can't get there from here". That is a NH joke.

I love NH, but it has some things you have to think about. But I'll take it over DC ANY day of the week.

Kids in Winchester don't now and never did go to MRHS. They now go to Keene.
As for intergrating with other kids, Keene high is a huge school, with students from Chesterfield, Harrisville, Keene, Marlborough, Marlow, Nelson, and Westmoreland.
All these towns have there own elementary schools, and most don't go to KHS until High School. Keene has several elementary schools. For a student ot have been with the same friends for 9 years before HS they'd have to be neighbors, and in that case, you have just as much chance of this occuring, living in Chesterfield as you do Keene.
Students "from " Keene will have no more "bonding time" with the rest of the students than that of a student from Chesterfield or Harrisville. I would guess that the person who wrote that message isn't very aware of the school systems in this area.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 PM

There is very little cultural diversity in Keene?? When was the last time you were here in Keene?

Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiragirl View Post
Fun places to go out, any good music?
Depends on your age and tastes. Pretty much anything you might enjoy is here or withing 25 minutes. From the skate park and the Y, Concerts on the Square, the Colonial Theater, the Northfield (or Milford) Drive In movies, Billards, Ashuelot River Park, Live bands, karoke, blues, country. Dining? everything form good down home cooking at "Family Ties" to Sushi at "Marco Polo Gardens", Italian, Indian, Thai.. you name it, it's in Keene.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:11 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,265,518 times
Just out of curiosity, what happened to the high school in Winchester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire