Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 PM

587 posts, read 1,624,558 times

Advertisements

That's a great start dubthang - Thank you so much! You said the best part about Keene is often the surrounding areas....If you were to move back to the area and plan to live in or around Keene, where would you be looking? I don't know if I said in this post or another, that schools are an important factor. I've got a 13 and 10 y.o. and a very good (doesn't need to be superb, but at least very good) education is very important to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:53 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
My folks moved to Harrisville, and built a house on Chesham Pond. It is a beautiful location. If I was more settled (which I am the farthest thing from) I would check out Westmorland, Harrisville, Marlborough, Surry... basically most of the surrounding towns are good if you like some nice ruralish living.

My biggest issues as of now with the Keene area are that I am still in 'city-mode.' I like being in a bigger place with more conviences. Also, my gf's daughter was in Keene Middle School before we moved, and I wasn't impressed with what she was being taught (this could just be her though as she doesn't really apply herself.) I went through the Keene school system, and loved it. I'd def search out other people's opinions on the school system.

I still love visiting the area though. Especially at this time of year.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 PM

587 posts, read 1,624,558 times
Thanks dubthang. I will check out those areas and also start a thread re: Keene area schools. I appreciate all of your insights!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM

16 posts, read 39,924 times
This thread has been really useful, more useful than some information i have found so far. I, like Renlouis, am moving from around the Dallas, TX area and we are looking kind of for the same thing, a semi small town, good schools and enough safe that you can actually walk around without having to drive everywhere which is hard to find around here, even in the small towns. We won't be moving for a couple of years but i think Keene is one of our main interests. Thanks for the great thread!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I agree with you on this thread--I also have learned alot about the western part of our state from this and similar threads. Keene is high on many relo lists, and it's a got a great reputation as a bright spot in a more remote location,,,keep reading, hopefully you'll get out here for some visits before you move out this way. I *strongly* recommend you come on out for a winter visit before making the move--winters last a long time and for many, the way of life just isn't worth the snow and cold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicandblair View Post
This thread has been really useful, more useful than some information i have found so far.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:49 PM

16 posts, read 39,924 times
Oh yeah, we definitely plan on making a few winter trips before making the big move. I can't wait either! Both of us really enjoy cold weather but NH cold is a whole new ballgame but we are really excited to experience it!

Old 05-10-2016, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
@tracyh903....
Your reply is encouraging as I am contemplating making a move to Keene or surrounding area for a career move. Is it better to move to a bigger metropolitan city and commute to Keene for my job? Thanks

Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Default Keene is the closest thing to a city you'll find anywhere within an easy commuting distance of Keene

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie68 View Post
... I am contemplating making a move to Keene or surrounding area for a career move. Is it better to move to a bigger metropolitan city and commute to Keene for my job?
Keene is the only city in Cheshire county, and the biggest community within a reasonable commuting distance of a job in Keene.

Can I ask what kind of work you're considering doing? Are there other employers in that line of work anywhere near Keene?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 769 times
Red face Medical facilities and decent shopping in Keene?

As a recently retired professional couple we will be looking for good medical, maybe a college for continuing education and certainly a friendly welcoming church family. Would we find this in Keene? I must add that although we have lived in the south and NY/VT for many years we want to finish our retirement in NH where the taxes are more reasonable. Thank you

Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrikayb View Post
As a recently retired professional couple we will be looking for good medical, maybe a college for continuing education and certainly a friendly welcoming church family. Would we find this in Keene? I must add that although we have lived in the south and NY/VT for many years we want to finish our retirement in NH where the taxes are more reasonable. Thank you
Keene's property taxes are astronomical. Look to the surrounding towns & use Keene to shop in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire