U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2008, 09:42 PM

1,771 posts, read 2,799,962 times
Default A Great Resource For all Voters

All,
Since NH prides itself on being a state of independently thinking people I wanted to share a great website for educating yourself regarding political candidates:

THOMAS (Library of Congress)

This site shows you the FULL text of bills, their sponsors, and other important information; free of any "paraphrasing" (which usually leaves out important details). It is VERY time consuming to research who voted for what and then read the bills to see why/why not but you will be amazed at how quickly you can cut through the bull and learn what the people you are voting for/against really believe/support.

As mentioned in earlier threads I've consistently found cases where one candidate will be slammed for voting against a bill that on the surface seems great (the part you hear about) but has awful provisions (the part you do not) or another will get slammed for voting for something that looks bad on the surface- but has critically important provisions.

Anyway; just wanted to share with my fellow NH citizens this political season. To save time I generally just research bills that are the topic of various "attack" adds or the like...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 AM

625 posts, read 1,699,928 times
It's a good resource for folks who have already served in Congress--but what about those who have not yet done so?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:31 AM

951 posts, read 398,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
.....--but what about those who have not yet done so?
Looking for a career change Sparky?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:35 AM

4,007 posts, read 2,999,153 times
Many thanks for posting the link to THOMAS. I agree that THOMAS is a wonderful resource, but I'm not objective - I worked at the Library of Congress for 34 years! Full disclosure: I had nothing to do with the creation of THOMAS (darn it).

The best part of THOMAS (and I agree it takes a while to find what you're looking for) is that you see the actual text of the bills and amendments that your Senators and Representatives have voted on, or perhaps have not voted on. It also tracks the progress of a bill through the legislative process, and it's interesting to see how the wording changes, and who proposed the changes.

For each specific bill, you can click on "bill summary and status" to get a very concise description of the bill, who sponsored the bill and when, and what was the last major action taken on the bill.

It's definitely a resource for Senators and Congressmen and their staff, but it's freely available to all of us, and it helps make the work of Congress more visible ... and that's a very good thing indeed!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:33 PM

1,771 posts, read 2,799,962 times
No problem...used it A LOT when one little corner of my job description was legislative affairs. Awesome resource! And good job at the LoC; somewhere in Washington that was actually organized!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 5,192 times
Great resource. Thank you for the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire