U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:45 PM

1,771 posts, read 4,283,614 times

Advertisements

Finally went for a ride "west" on 101 today; these three towns had the biggest impression on me.

Dublin- Awesome views/lakes nearby, did not see much of the "town" itself though but my guess is its fairly small but nice.

Peterborough- What a nice place, would not mind living there if it was closer to work. Reminds me of a slightly more main-street oriented Hollis. Almost everything was closed but will definitely be going back with my wife to check out the town again.

Keene- Not sure what the complaints about Keene are about, I had a great cup of coffee and enjoyed sitting outside watching folks go by- people seemed nice and many said "hello" just out of the blue. The town seemed very nice and there were a ton of college students out about enjoying the nice day. It's different for NH I guess...but it left me with a good impression- so that's all I really can ask for!

Just wanted to throw out my first impressions; had no idea that such beautiful country was just to the west of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,049,610 times
It is beautiful out there. I love driving through Dublin-the winding road along the water-so pretty. I love Keene's downtown-it is great. I love the whole Monadnock region and would live there if we could. However jobs keep us in a different part of the state.

If you are ever in Rindge-especially during foliage-check out the Cathedral of the Pines

My husband and I were married there during peak foliage almost 14 years ago. It is a beautiful place and a nice memorial to our veterans as well. Sadly-there was some damage done to the trees and grounds during one of the many violent thunder storms that we had this summer. We usually make the trek there for our anniversary so we will be going next month.

Also if you ever get a chance to check out Mt Monadnock as well. We have hiked to the top several times-it is an easy hike and a beautiful area.

Nicolem

Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,905,314 times
It is a beautiful ride out that way on 101. Especially during peak fall foliage time.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:56 AM

3,712 posts, read 9,141,004 times
and if you had taken the long way into Peterborough - through Rt 124- you would have gone through New Ipswich!

It is lovely out in the southwestern area. See what I keep saying about it maybe southern NH, and it may be border, but it's not Massified like the seacoast region?

Keene is fine, it's just a bit remote from much of the rest of NH. Sure you can get to VT real easy (and a pretty drive), and you can go up to Dartmouth, but... it's a bit more of a hike to the airport and to big shopping. That's not necessarily a problem for many people, but if you're new to the area, Keene gets snow more like northern NH, and it's 'remoteness' can be a problem for some. It's still a lovely town.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 AM

117 posts, read 369,931 times
Glad you liked it!! I love how NH has such pretty areas, all a bit different throughout the state.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:43 PM

122 posts, read 265,195 times
Hey BF, I really like Keene and Peterborough, too. I haven't been to Dublin. I have been to both Keene and Peterborough numerous times. Peterborough is closer to the airport, if that's important. It's smaller than Keene, but has a very good feel. I have always loved Keene, since I first visited about 5 years ago. My daughter began graduate school there at Antioch, and she and her husband lived there for 2 1/2 yrs before moving to Mass. to be closer to his work. I really do love Keene. I love the proximity to Vermont and northern Mass., I love the Mt Monadnock scenery, the Main Street atmosphere, the Pumpkin festival, even the college kids are fine with me. My daughter (a Florida native) never minded the three winters she spent there, which I was shocked at at that time, even though she and her now-husband moved there shortly before the floodings occured close by. Even in the dead of winter, it never took more than 1 1/2 hrs to get to Manchester airport during bad weather. A drive into Boston took about 2 1/2 hrs, if I remember correctly. To me, that's do-able, since we would only go in maybe 4-6 times a year, for plays, restaurants, or other entertainment. Keene (or at least close surrounding areas) has covered bridges, mountains, and beautiful scenery. The drive from Keene to Brattleboro, Vt is exquisite at any time of year.
I hope you find the best place for you. There are many, many towns just waiting for you to discover. Good luck in finding the perfect place.
Nancie

Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM

1,771 posts, read 4,283,614 times
Nancie- thanks; we actually bought in Hollis. I was just sharing my general impressions of the towns (they are too far from work for us so were never in consideration- but cool to visit)

Old 09-12-2008, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 15,269 times
My wife and I just took a similar trip up to Cheshire and Hillsborough Counties. I liked Keene a lot. I like the amenities (like having multiple grocery stores from which to choose), but also like that the commercial aspect is outside of town. It was artsy and friendly. Walpole and Westmoreland were beautiful. Chesterfield and Spofford were also nice, especially if you like living near water. I didn't get to see enough of Peterborough, but I liked what I read of it, especially the involvement in the arts. Dublin, was nice, but odd. Beautiful historic homes spaced far apart in the woods, with a very small town center. Hancock was a pristine colonial village that gave me an odd feeling, like M. Night Shyamalan's The Village. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole area though, and am considering moving up to the region.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:32 AM

3,712 posts, read 9,141,004 times
innisart,

yes, Monadnock is a lovely region!. If you don't get one of the covetted 20 jobs with your company in Keene, maybe you'd like Peterborough?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 AM

64 posts, read 199,123 times
"Hancock was a pristine colonial village that gave me an odd feeling, like M. Night Shyamalan's The Village."

Too funny. I lived there for several years...in the village. It's a beautiful little town but definitely odd. EVERYBODY knows your business and is happy to talk about it. Its like its own little world there. I felt under a microscope the whole time I was there, as if I were an outsider. I know others that felt that way too. I got out and so did they . Really, other than that, it is a nice little town...just a bit remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire