Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM

115 posts, read 319,136 times

Advertisements

New Hampshire is on a very short list of places that I am interested in moving to in the next 2 years. I was wondering if anyone has relocated to NH from TN. If so, where from and where to? How was the transition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 05:30 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Yes my DH and I moved from Tennessee to Virginia and then New Hampshire. We lived in Jackson, TN for several years. We moved to the Lakes region in 2004 and we really love it here.
We are staying......
Carrie

Old 09-07-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Yes my DH and I moved from Tennessee to Virginia and then New Hampshire. We lived in Jackson, TN for several years. We moved to the Lakes region in 2004 and we really love it here.
We are staying......
Carrie
That was quick. Thank you for the reply. I have a friend who lives outside of Jackson, TN. He works for Jackson General Hospital. I am interested in the Lakes region as well. I just requested some information from that area. I was looking at the Laconia area. How has the transition been for you? Is the snow and winter that bad? I currently live in Northeast PA (1+ year). We got about 60 inches of snow last year. What do you like about NH versus TN and what do you dislike. How are the taxes, cost of living in general compared to TN? Thank you for any information that you can provide.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:26 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
ptin, welcome to the NH forum I helped a family from Knoxville TN settle into New Hampshire earlier this year. Last time we were in contact, they were enjoying life in NH, in particular, the cooler (than TN) summer. I hope the same will be true after they've experienced their first NH winter!

If you think it would be helpful, I'll be happy to pass along your contact information to them so that they can share their experiences with you. I noticed you don't have an email address in your profile, so if you want, you can DM me your email address, and I'll send it along to them.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptin2010 View Post
That was quick. Thank you for the reply. I have a friend who lives outside of Jackson, TN. He works for Jackson General Hospital. I am interested in the Lakes region as well. I just requested some information from that area. I was looking at the Laconia area. How has the transition been for you? Is the snow and winter that bad? I currently live in Northeast PA (1+ year). We got about 60 inches of snow last year. What do you like about NH versus TN and what do you dislike. How are the taxes, cost of living in general compared to TN? Thank you for any information that you can provide.
Last year was the toughest we saw in 4 years. It was wet and we had
over 100 inches. That was 2nd higest on record so I consider it an anomoly.
Normal is about half that. It was wet snow because it did not get as cold as
usual. The colder the better for snow because powder is easier to move.
Don't let it scare you. NH has a snow removal system to rival all other states.
Public & private together. Major roads are usually cleared by noon after storms. Secondary roads within 2 days at most and you can usually traverse them with a good 4 wheeler or snow tires.
No state sales tax or income tax. Property is taxed by town and each is very
different. The state legislators work for nothing (only state left to do so to my knowledge).
What we like most about NH compared to TN is no to low humidity. August
temps were mid 70-to low 80"s. Winters take a learning curve but you get the hang of it after a couple years. Fall is mind boggling with its splendor.
Spring is always cool and nice. This year was wetter than usual.
Laconia is next to Winnepasauke Lake. Largest inland lake in the USA. It is
beautiful. Laconia is nice size with all the markets etc. Closest large town is Concord - the capital.
You will like NH a lot more than PA, in my opinion and a hell of a lot more than TN. It is very woodsy here but you also have the White Mtns for winter sports.
Hope this helps...........

Old 09-08-2008, 12:24 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptin2010 View Post
Laconia had 140 inches of snow last year-all time record. Of course that is not how it will be every year.

Nicolem

Last edited by nicolem; 09-08-2008 at 12:33 PM..

Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 PM

Thank you for the information. My wife and I are planning on visiting the area during spring break (March 2009). Hopefully. Will this time of year give a me a fair idea of the cold and snow or do I need to come at a different time? I am going to school for physical therapy and will be graduating in May 2010. I am trying to decide between Oregon, Colorado and New Hampshire. Maine was on my original list but I removed it when I narrowed the list down to three.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:28 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
ptin, it's hard to say at this time... Last March we were still covered in snow, I believe the year before we had started "mud season". Every year is vastly different from the one(s) before. February would be your best bet for finding snow and cold, no matter what the year

Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
March will definitely give you a taste of winter in NH, although there might be some thaw in the latter part of the month (particularly in southern NH). But it will certainly be cold and snow/ice is certain.

Of course, I would encourage you to visit in summer before you start thinking that NH is frozen all year long

Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
I actually found a site where you can watch an animated map of US snow cover by month. Here are some for the past few years:

March 2008

March 2007

March 2006

March 2005

March 2004

In most cases, snow covers the state for pretty much all month, although in 2006 (an unusually mild winter), thaw was widespread. In 2004 the snow was on and off the ground in southern NH. Northernmost NH seems to always have snow all month, though.

Of course, the climate here has become increasingly unpredictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire