Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 12,710 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move to NH and would like to start a small hobby farm (~5 acres). We are interested in growing and selling herbs and other goods at farmer's markets, particularly in the southeastern region of the state. We currently live in Pittsburgh, PA so the crime and taxes will not be as big an issue for us in NH as for some. I am originally from Rhode Island and my wife from the Philly-burbs. We have also lived in KY and TN, so we know that NH conservativism is nothing like it is in the south but is unique to New England. So, this is not a major concern for us either. We both have graduate degrees but are seeking to live more independently and sustainably. Does anyone have any information that might help us decide where to move within the southeastern region of NH(not necessarily just the seacoast)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 04:36 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
A lot of Hampton Falls is farmland (the orchard that was the basis for the orchard in THE CIDER HOUSE RULES.) That area is fairly congested by NH standards and there are lots of local farmers' markets, but the land is also a lot more expensive. Land gets less expensive as you go further west, away from the Seacoast. Hollis is another area that is famous for preserving lots of open space/farmland. It has a farm stand and Amherst, one town over, has a nice farmers' market.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Check out the towns east of Derry and west of Exeter. There seems to be a lot of places for sale because these towns are just a bit too remote to commute into Massachusetts for high tech and good paying jobs.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Check out the towns east of Derry and west of Exeter. There seems to be a lot of places for sale because these towns are just a bit too remote to commute into Massachusetts for high tech and good paying jobs.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Same deal with towns on Rt 4 west of Lee/Barrington.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
I would have to agree with the above posters - farmland in the south eastern portion of the state has disappeared for the mostpart

anyplace that was easy commuting to Boston and had access to highways was built up --

just 40 years ago Derry was a small town with a population of 7,000 and there were lots of farms - now I think there are three not counting horse farms

Old 09-15-2008, 06:41 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
one more thing to mention - property taxes are high in NH, as you probably know

5 acres, even taxed as farmland, is a hefty fee

the value per acre varies per town - IME, an acre has been valued at $75K+ - so you can do the math

horse farms do not qualify as farmland.....lol they are considered a luxury animal - for those of you who don't know, we have rescue horses

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/paintingtwirler/xmas2007019.jpg (broken link)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/paintingtwirler/pbxmas2007031.jpg (broken link)

we like to consider ourselves a working farm. but we're not

we grow enough fruits and vegetables to feed ourselves and put the excess out front on a table at the side of the road, and we donate to the food pantries

we couldn't afford to stay in Derry because of the taxes so we moved to the lakes region - I love it here, but I loved it in Derry, and I would have liked to stay

Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 AM

117 posts, read 425,063 times
Well, there are lots of farming spots in the Monadnock area, but the cost goes up quite a bit the closer to a town you get. There is a lot going on here, but no sole herb gardens as far as I know. I would be wary because of that (soil and weather), but not stopped. There are plenty of people around here who grow herbs, but they are usually in conjunction with other things. I *think* there is a pure lavender farm somewhere north of here, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'd check with nofa.org to see about the viability of a herb farm in NH. If you don't have farming experience, it is always great to look into being an intern for a while to get the feel of the job. NOFA puts on a great conference in the summer and a smaller one in the winter with lots of start-up information.

Another great site to check for farm start-up is: New England Small Farm Institute There is an unbelievable amount of information there.

I wasn't sure from your post whether you were looking at a conservative or not so conservative area, so I'm not sure where to direct you on that.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
IMO there are many towns along the Route 101 corridor that might be interesting for you to consider. The UNH Coop Extension is located at UNH Durham, where you would have the added benefit of various programs offered throughout the year. I've attended a number of these programs, and they are most informative: UNH Cooperative Extension - Family, Home & Garden Education Center - Grow it Green with Margaret Hagen

Have you heard of the New Hampshire Plant Growers Association? Here's their website: Welcome to the New Hampshire Plant Growers Association and possibly they could be of some help?

Some of the more rural (vs suburban) towns to consider might be Nottingham, Northwood, Deerfield area, as well as others along Route 101/125/111. Keep in mind that 10 acres or more *may* allow you to purchase land that is in "current use" status, which can be farmed but not developed or subdivided.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:21 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Actually there is an herb farm in New Ipswich on Poor Farm Rd, and I think there's another somewhere out maybe around Temple Rd. At least I've seen signs and references to them.

I don't think Hollis would be a good location. There used to be a lot of farms there, but most have gone out of business and houses are now growing where hay used to. yes, there are 3 orchards with at least 2 produce stands (brookdale/Hardy's and Lull's), but I think another might be overkill in that small an area. Maybe Brookline? not a lot of open field that I've seen, but definately rural (mind you, the taxes are pretty high).

Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
"I don't think Hollis would be a good location. There used to be a lot of farms there, but most have gone out of business and houses are now growing where hay used to. yes, there are 3 orchards with at least 2 produce stands (brookdale/Hardy's and Lull's), but I think another might be overkill in that small an area. Maybe Brookline? not a lot of open field that I've seen, but definately rural (mind you, the taxes are pretty high).[/quote]

You're probably right. Didn't think of that. This is why the forum is such a good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire