Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times

Advertisements

seadog brewery is pretty good stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 12:02 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
in Vermont,

Catamount and McNeils are also good

Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 34,333 times
I had to reply to this, though I don't live in NE I visit there often.

I'm a big fan of Shipyard from Portland, ME - as well as Gritty McDuff's and Sea Dog.

It's too bad we can't get Gritty's here in NJ though.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 PM

14 posts, read 90,295 times
Has anybody ever tried any New Belgium Beers? Fat Tire? Sunshine Wheat? 1554? It's a brewery in Colorado, so I doubt NE gets it there. I think they are good, though I don't know how they stack up to NE beers.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:05 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,895 times
Smuttynose for the store-bought stuff, but everytime I'm in Conway I stop by Moat Mountain Brewery and get a few growlers of whatever they have. Can't wait until spring when they bring out the Violet B's Blueberry beer again.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
Long Trail
Sam Adams
Magic Hat

Old 02-13-2007, 11:07 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floresmoses View Post
Has anybody ever tried any New Belgium Beers? Fat Tire? Sunshine Wheat? 1554? It's a brewery in Colorado, so I doubt NE gets it there. I think they are good, though I don't know how they stack up to NE beers.
I've had Fat Tire. Thought it was okay, but not even close to any of my favorites.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 PM

17 posts, read 111,307 times
This is a great topic. Support your local brewery is my motto, so I drink a lot of New England beer. And no, Sam Adams is not the best NE has to offer.

I like Long Trail a lot, probably because I wish that I lived in Central Vermont where LT is brewed. I really enjoy their seasonals. The Hibernator is a really good winter beer. The Harvest Ale is good as well. I'm generally not into wheat beers or fruit beers, but I break both of these rules to drink Long Trail's summer offering, Blackbeary Wheat. It's a tasty beer if you're looking for something lighter during the summer months. Hit the Trail Ale, which is an english-style ale, is another solid offering. Their flagship beer, Long Trail Ale, is a bit boring in my opinion. Not bad, it's just that there are many better local beers.

Magic Hat is overrated in my opinion. It's probably the most widely-known of the New England microbrews which is unfortunate. The company is run by hippies and they put little Phish-esque quotes on the underside of all of their bottle caps. Having said that, #9 is definitely enjoyable from time to time. I had a great time this past summer floating around on a large raft with a friend and a cooler of #9 on a Vermont lake. It was just the two of us, a 12er of #9 and some loons out there. It was very relaxing, Vermont living at its finest.

I haven't been a fan of any of the other Magic Hat beers besides #9 that I've tried (Fat Angel, Hocus Pocus, a red ale whose name I forget).

Harpoon is another solid choice. I enjoy hoppy beers and the Harpoon IPA definitely does well in this department. The Harpoon Winter Warmer is reason enough by itself to look forward to the coming of winter each year. It has a very interesting, almost spicy flavor to it.

I had Smuttynose for the first time this winter and was pleased. The Pale Ale is a solid offering, not quite on the level of the elite pale ales like the Dogfish Head or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale but definitely worth a try nonetheless. I liked the Winter Ale I tried better. That's definitely a beer I'll be purchasing again in the future.

That's pretty much it for my New England beer experience. I have been limited by the small size of my local package store. There aren't very many offerings there at all. I do plan on exploring Otter Creek's offerings when I get the chance. I'm am going to start trying to make more frequent trips to the local mega-package store, which has a whole aisle of microbrews.

Last edited by Oldtex29; 02-15-2007 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: speeling

Old 02-16-2007, 05:31 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtex29 View Post
I do plan on exploring Otter Creek's offerings when I get the chance.
Try the Copper Ale. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:36 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Have to agree with mels about the Gritty McDuffs, excellent beer. If anyone is in CT in the Manchester area, check out John Harvard's brewhouse. They have EXCELLENT beers there. The Manchester Alt, Nut Brown and Black Widow Lager are among the best there. The Alt won awards at the Great American Beer festival too.

Shipyard makes something called Longfellow Ale which is not available year round if I remember correctly. Incredibly good beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire